IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

2 hours ago, barrows said:

First of all, why bother trying to make an argument for one format over another by comparing worst examples of one to best examples of another?  Apples to apples makes so much more sense if you want to gain any traction with folks.

I have nothing against those who love vinyl playback, but the facts are that current, good, digital playback and recording are superior.

One of the best ways to experience this is to have the experience of comparing well done, high resolution, needle drops to direct vinyl playback on the same rig.  In every case I am aware of of this type of comparison the direct vinyl playback is found to be indistinguishable from the digital playback of the needle drop.  Where the needle drop retains all the "vinyl LP sound qualities" that folks love, and somehow, "magically" none of the "evil digital sound".  The only conclusion which is reasonable to draw from such experiences is that people love vinyl sound (or not) because of its flaws and inaccuracies, and not because it is actually technically superior to good digital in any way.   Which is OK with me, as long as the vinyl lovers own the idea that they like vinyl for its flaws.

I have been collecting LPs over the last few years, although I currently do not own a turntable set up, as I hope to get a 'table going for fun sometime later.  And the LPs are likely mostly good investments.

+1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Allan F said:

If you could afford the astronomical cost of MF's turntable, arm, cartridge and phono preamp combination (assuming that, like me, you couldn't), you might view vinyl somewhat differently. :) And, as Firedog points out, MF has recently been considerably less harsh in his criticism of digital, while he still prefers vinyl.

I would never spend that kind of money on audio products. I much prefer travel and food. 

• 7 months later...