IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

I had this topic on ignore as the quarrels started to mount, but reviewed and found @John Dyson‘s posts very commendable and even better has a solution. 

Right, for ABBA, and quite a few CDs from that era, the bass was wrong, does it exist? There’s the debate on phase polarity being wrong, wrong RIAA curve applied. Now this  kind of audio engineering accounting driven mediocrity makes a lot of sense.

Very keen to listen to the samples with the Dolby A decoding at the end of this flight. Even the consumer Dolby C was too bright to listen to without flicking the switch on cassettes, Dolby A decoding should bring this back and jerk the accountants. 

Im also very keen how @John Dyson software can be integrated into existing players such as Roon. Perhaps a meta data switch from the file to trigger a plugin , probably early days yet. There are hundreds, thousands of titles that the lack of decoding applies to, but the loudness wars titles would have to be clawed back to the beginning.

Would SACD releases have the same problem? My purchases for SACD are sourced from Japan, and did find the Carpenters compilation album a little on the thin side, but Karen’s voice still sends the chills down the spine.

Please keep the dialog going, fascinating concept.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The opening of the original Downtown is hiss city, the demo tanks the hiss, well done. Petula's voice on the original is covered in mire, as opposed to a remarkable very clear distinction, and a little bit more reverb without the 44 gallon drum effect. Nice dynamics, wow, there's drums. The vocals overall convey the song with more vigour (more dynamics s'pose).

Compared the SACD out of Hong Kong, and it sounds cleaner than the original, but not much, probably the same master, just transferred, but they have done some work, but it's not as good as the demo though. Level match between the SACD was a hit and miss not scientific, so tried various levels down, still the demo comes out on top.

Now this is from a humble laptop soundcard and Sony  MDR-Z7. Will transfer to the main system with HD800S/820 as soon as I can and compare Carpenters.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, The_K-Man said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂"Digital dirt"??  Ohh that's hysterical!  😂😂🤣😆😆😆

OK, then please put forth your proposal to remove currents caused by parasitic capacitive junctions between gates and the case of every semiconductor from diodes, IC, FETs, switching FETs especially high power ones.

13 hours ago, AVphile said:

Actually, One and a half may have a point.  I doubt that any electron has every received a bath in the nearly 14 billion years (or less) since its formation.  Clearly, over that extended period of time even the most fastidious electron is going to become soiled.  What's worse is what all those electrons must be doing to any audiophile's cabling -- both inside and between components.  Unfortunately, this serious problem must be more pervasive than One and a half proposes.  Unless I am mistaken, analog signals also are subjected to the same putrification.

On the bright side, this is an indisputable reason for purchasing all new audio equipment at least annually!

Oh another one to jump on the ignorance bandwagon, don't show yourself to be like @The_K-Man.