IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, esldude said:

MP3 can have artifacts including increasing sibilance and sharpness.  So can dynamic compression

In my experience, those dynamic compression artifacts are more likely caused by a signal that exceeds 0dB "true peak" values.  That "inter-peak distortion" can cause a nails-on-the-chalkboard screech depending on the DAC.  To me, any digital mastering that exceeds 0dB True Peak is incompetent.  But some in the music business call it "competitive". 🙄

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
4 hours ago, firedog said:

A bit unfair about MF. He has a great digital (SACD) setup. He doesn't dislike digital. He dislikes CD. He likes lots of hi-res and has even said there are hi-res versions of albums he prefers to the vinyl version, or at least thinks they are the equal. 

Could it be said that some amount of Fremer's notoriety comes from his disdain for CDs?  I think even if he heard a CD he liked that he would be reluctant to taint his legacy.

image.png.33c06cddc803508ed064d636c7b04b1f.png

Just now, mansr said:

The Nena sample you posted a while back should be enough to convince anyone.

As for incompetence, I'm not the least bit surprised. The recording industry is notoriously bad at keeping accurate records (the irony). Whoever was tasked with preparing the CD release likely had, at best, some illegible notes scrawled on a used napkin from which to decide how to best process the tapes. The same person likely wasn't paid enough to make any effort beyond the minimum required to put silver discs on the store shelves. It's sad but true.

Hoffman has posted the annotations from master tapes over the years, and you're right.  Often it's barely legible scrawl.