IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

6 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

When I hear folks like MF claim that digital is flat, hard and lifeless compared to vinyl, I just shake my head and wonder what he is listening too. I have had vinyl guys over to hear my room and they are godsmacked with how great digital can sound, especially well mastered cds. There are many wonderful sounding DACS available and some great playback software. Good equipment and a great room environment will get you great sound these days.

If you could afford the astronomical cost of MF's turntable, arm, cartridge and phono preamp combination (assuming that, like me, you couldn't), you might view vinyl somewhat differently. :) And, as Firedog points out, MF has recently been considerably less harsh in his criticism of digital, while he still prefers vinyl.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

16 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'm sure he'd have a similar reaction to most of your posts.

As I expect do many, if not most of us . :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

7 hours ago, esldude said:

And I might not.  His rig can't overcome inherent limitations in the medium, most especially the mastering necessary to stamp out a playable disc.  It is also possible having optimized his rig to gloss over or make acceptable the short comings of vinyl he has impacted some of the extra resolution that CD can provide when done well.

A top mastering engineer working with well maintained vinyl presses can produce discs of excellent quality. As others have said, ultimately it comes down to personal preference. Vinyl can sound as good (or to some, better than) digital, depending on the associated gear.