IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

24 minutes ago, semente said:

Besides, vinyl is not eco-friendly (see here) and downloading avoids delivery which in Europe is mostly done using not so modern delivery vans with diesel engines.

That is so funny... the freakin internet is far and away the largest user of energy on the planet... It's probably near half of the world's energy use right now...

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, PeterSt said:

When all is taken into account, vinyl is a most inaccurate means of playback which is easy to hear from any angle.

Just this weekend gone I heard a cheap Rega TT with a cheap cartridge and a cheap phonostage play Guns N Roses "Civil War" so well it may as well have slayed my dac...my Phasure dac.  Most likely the mastering is different between the two formats but on that track the vinyl was a whole order of magnitude better than the digital.

The only black and white in this vinyl vs digital debate is in the theory department, because even though digital is the superior format in almost every way, sometimes, with some recordings, vinyl has the edge.

LP rips have never worked either for me Peter, sounding as you described hollow, small and ordinary, but it seems as though the problem is the rip.  Good thing an LP can sound extraordinary, because the mastering is often much better, and there are a lot of older recordings of fantastic music that I cannot get digitally. 

No,  I've not considered dsp for gain.   I have two analogue and two digital sources, with a third digital source planned... not so keen on ADC for the analogue stuff. 

Or do you mean dsp just for the dac?

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Anthony

Many people have similar requirements to yours, and further Digital Processing will inevitably degrade to some extent the SQ of at least some of the Input sources.

Have you fitted input selection to your current project ?

Regards

Alex

Yes, my preamps all have input selection but also the power amplifiers themselves can accept either bnc or rca...but with no switch between...conceivably both sockets occupied at the same time and even run together (not ideal).  There are all sorts of combinations and permutations regarding where the analogue VC should be placed, but ideally it would be at the output of the preamp.  Peters digital VC in his software is magnificent, so perhaps I could run the Phasure dac such that it bypasses the analogue VC in the preamp.  At least that is what I have been thinking about today in my fleeting free moments.