IGNORED

Addons, i.e. regen, reclock, isolate - are they needed?

11 minutes ago, look&listen said:

"House sound" you hear is of DAC1 series. Lived with two BM DAC1s, now have DAC2 with (USB in) different, better sound. Happy to stop rolling DACs now.

Maybe non-ASRC is difference, maybe other ?

And responsive to USB add-ons also.

I'd like to see you discuss that with John Siau.

11 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

From what I understand John's working very hard making up testing gear to hopefully show (in measurements) the differences people have been hearing for a while.

They've been feeding us that line for how many years now?

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I get that, but how deep do you want to go?

Deep? I want to see a measurement demonstrating an effect with some plausibility of altering the sound to an audible extent. The analogue output of the DAC would be an obvious place to take such a measurement. A jitter measurement at the clock input of the DAC chip could also be useful. There are actual studies on the audibility of jitter, so if a difference could be shown there, it would be saying something. All we've been shown, however, is a single scope image of the USB signal with and without the Regen device. Without evidence that the admittedly clear difference seen there has an actual effect on the DAC performance, this screenshot is useless. We might as well be talking about the colour of the case. We also don't know if the "before" image is at all representative of computer USB ports. Maybe it is showing an exceptionally poor case.

In the absence of measurements, an acceptable alternative would be a properly conducted listening test demonstrating an audible difference. However, this alone will only show that there is a difference, not that there is an objective improvement. For that the measurements are still required.

How do you know any measurements you've done with your iFi DACs correlate with something audible?

Some things I've measured are readily audible, others are not.

Do you actually enjoy listening to music?

Yes, I do, both at home and live at various types of venues. I also like fooling around with electronics. That's why I became an engineer.