IGNORED

Does the USB iPurifier2 Work in Reverse Direction?

I fear this one thread is going to go orphan as well. But, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Question: Does the USB iPurifier2 (Type B) work in the reverse direction (signal travelling from male to female ends)?

For example, you could use it in this way:

NAS (with a USB Type B connection) > iPurifier2 in the "wrong" direction > USB B to A cable > iMac

The reason is that the quality of the signal going from external drives to the computer is important too. When I upgraded the USB 3 cable from the external storage device to the computer (Wireworld USB 3 cable), it really improved the sound. This aspect of the signal seems to be less scrutinised, but it is just as important.

The trouble is that everything I see shows the iPurifier being used with the signal travelling from the USB female to USB male direction. But what if the signal went in the "wrong" direction going from the male to female termination? Does the iPurifer still work in this orientation? Or is the iPurifier a directional device?

For anyone interested, I got a reply from iFi support pointing this FAQ out, though it still doesn't specifically say if iPurifier2 works going in the "wrong" direction. It just says that USB is bidirectional, implying that the iPurifier is also bidirectional working to filter the signal travelling in both directions through it. 

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=158

Quote:

Bi-directional, will it work in both ways?

• USB is always bi-directional.
  • USB defines Host and Device or in terms of direction upstream (communications from device to host) and downstream (communication from host to device.
  • The host is always on the upstream side and has a type A socket (or OTG) the device is always downstream and originally devices were all supposed to be fitted with type B sockets or a type A plug (memory stick etc.). A Host (mostly a PC, or Android on OTG) is the controlling device and an ADC or DAC is a Device.

Example: iPurifier 1 or 2 plugs into the type B socket on an ADC device and the cable from the computer plugs into the iPurifier 1 or 2, exactly as would be the case with a DAC.

As long as the iPurifier 2 plugs into a "B" type socket (or via an adapter into a Type "A" Plug - e.g. iDSD micro) it works in the right "direction".

A DAC, ADC, USB Disk Drive, USB Printer (not that we claim it improves print quality) all are devices and thus to the iPurifier 2 look the same.

On 7/1/2018 at 2:19 AM, Sator said:

For anyone interested, I got a reply from iFi support pointing this FAQ out, though it still doesn't specifically say if iPurifier2 works going in the "wrong" direction. It just says that USB is bidirectional, implying that the iPurifier is also bidirectional working to filter the signal travelling in both directions through it. 

http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=158

Quote:

Bi-directional, will it work in both ways?

• USB is always bi-directional.
  • USB defines Host and Device or in terms of direction upstream (communications from device to host) and downstream (communication from host to device.
  • The host is always on the upstream side and has a type A socket (or OTG) the device is always downstream and originally devices were all supposed to be fitted with type B sockets or a type A plug (memory stick etc.). A Host (mostly a PC, or Android on OTG) is the controlling device and an ADC or DAC is a Device.

Example: iPurifier 1 or 2 plugs into the type B socket on an ADC device and the cable from the computer plugs into the iPurifier 1 or 2, exactly as would be the case with a DAC.

As long as the iPurifier 2 plugs into a "B" type socket (or via an adapter into a Type "A" Plug - e.g. iDSD micro) it works in the right "direction".

A DAC, ADC, USB Disk Drive, USB Printer (not that we claim it improves print quality) all are devices and thus to the iPurifier 2 look the same.

In short, USB is bi-directional, thus USB iPurifier2 will work like so.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 1 month later...

I have to say, the upgrade to the iPurifier 3 is very welcome one, and if the if word darker background  is absence of noise in the sound, the iPurifier 3 is one step closer. 

My micro iDSD Black Label benefits from the iPurifier 3 and it produces a more natural and musical sound than version 2,  the sensation of transparency is more evident. this when connected with an Gemini 3,0 directly to the computer. Removing version 2 and inserting version 3 of the iPurifier is a positive experience.

On the iDSD Pro, version 2 I felt it degraded the experience, I connected briefly the iPurifier 3 and this degradation of the sound was not present, for this alone the changes iFi has made are in a superior level. This was a quick test I made, but I will have to give the iPurifier 3 a little more attention in my main setup.

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg