IGNORED

What Causes the Intermittent Crackling-Static Sound?

Lowered? As in reduced loudness or as in reduced number of clicks? I would really try to find a PC to try just to see. It just seems like a setting is amiss. My suggestion isn't to get you to switch to a PC, but to see if you can get it running cleanly. I've had this sort of thing in learning how to get my stuff to play high rate DSD.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I was noticing static on some tracks in JRiver.  So, this morning I removed each setting change I had made one at a time until I found the problem: small speaker mode had been selected.  I removed that mode in adaptive volume, and I deselected adaptive volume.  Problem solved.  No more static.  This may have nothing to do with your situation, but it could be the problem if you are playing music from your computer.

I knew the problem had to be a setting in JRiver after I played the same tracks in iTunes and did not hear any static.

JDRodrigues, thank you for the very detailed query into my problem with intermittent static. 

I finally solved the problem! 

I took my MBP to Apple and requested that they download and old macOSX (Mountain Lion).  I wanted to see if the operating system I'm using was causing the static issue.  After the new change in OSx. once I connected the MBP to my Peachtree DAC with the Audiophilleo 2, the intermittent static I experienced for almost a year is gone!  So for my setup, I have been having static problems with 2 different MAC OSX, and an older version eliminated it. I went from Sierra, to High Sierra,  to Yosemite  to Mountain Lion and the last OSx ended the issue. Unfortunately Mountain Lion is no longer supported, so that's an issue. But my music is static-free now. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Have encountered the same problem with my EE minimax Day using a Mac mini streaming through i tunes or playing audiophiles. sometimes it takes an hour but then a sharp  crack comes from the left, only left, channel, which randomly reoccurs. Iused a wireworld red optical connect then a coaxial. The crack reoccurred from mac and skybox. I followed the advice to get as good a USB connect as I could. The problem immediately stopped. My conclusion is that there is a static issue with the casing of the cables concerned, option and coax. This is where the l channel is carried I think? Go as good a usb as you can! It works.