IGNORED

Article: NAD VISO HP50 with Roomfeel Headphone Review

Looking around after I read the article, saw that there is now a wireless HP70 version. Would be interesting to hear a comparison if anyone has heard both.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for the review!  These are one of three pairs of headphones that I own.  I've had some cheap Denon AH-D1000 (around $100 when I purchased them) for years now, then last year on Black Friday I bought KEF's M400 on-ear headphones for $79 (MSRP was $250, I think).  Back in May, after reading reviews of headphones on Innerfidelity (prompted by posts here at CA about that site, and the retirement of Tyll), I looked at the NAD VISO HP50 on Amazon and purchased them for $180.

I only use headphones with my computer, either using FLAC files ripped from my CD collection, or to listen to music on Spotify.  With my cheapie SMSL iDEA, I prefer the KEF M400.  They and the NAD have a similar "speaker-like" presentation in my view, but the NAD are darker sounding with some of my favorite opera singers' voices, and the dynamic range is not as wide as the KEF.  The fit is excellent for my head and ears, and I prefer them physically to the on-ear and somewhat awkward KEF M400.  It could be that the NAD need "break-in," although I have not ever noticed any change in the KEF, they sounded open and warm and dynamic right out of the box.  Or I suppose it may be a mismatch between the NAD and the SMSL iDEA.  The Denon headphones are quite bright compared to both the NAD and the KEF, and while they present a vocalist further away than either the KEF or NAD, they don't put a slightly dark "veil" over the voice like the NAD headphones do.   I'm not really sure what's going on, as it is only with certain voices, a few very rich female voices, Leontyne Price, Anna Moffo, and Rita Gorr.  Disturbing, as Leontyne Price is my favorite singer of all, and my main reason for living!  I don't really notice the issue with other singers, nor with any pop or rock music at all.

At any rate, I kept them as I don't believe there is an actual "defect" in the headphones themselves, and I personally don't believe returns should be allowed on anything worn intimately, like headphones on ears (ear wax or skin oils on earpads?  Yuck!), or underwear and swimsuits! haha  Also, they are comfortable and stay firmly in place on my head, so they will be useful if I ever take another plane trip or for listening to symphonic or pop music, where they sound quite wonderful.  It looks like KEF is done with production of the M400, so I don't want to risk damage to those on a trip or whatever!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

5 hours ago, Archimago said:

Whoa... Nice writeup and work Mitch! ?

Now this, IMO, along with Tyll's work over the years is what reviewing headphones is about; creatively utilizing both the objective and subjective modes of evaluation into a coherent, mindful conclusion without unnecessary flowery prose nor "lifestyle" meanderings. Taking the opportunity to educate along the way.

Looks like we have the beginnings of more useful headphone reviews to come... ?

Bingo. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Ditto ;)

Loved her since I was a child and missed singing with her only by a year or two :/ One of my favorite memories was getting to meet her and get her autograph (the ONLY autograph I ever bothered to collect) backstage after a recital here in Dallas.  Still remember that beautiful smile and her husky Southern accent, "Thank you for coming". LOL.

I only saw her once in concert, at Detroit's Orchestra Hall, September 18th, 1988.  I met her afterward, and nearly passed out as she took my hands in both of hers.  When I managed to speak, I told her that my life changed forever when I heard her for the first time, singing the Letter Scene from Tchaikovsky's Evgeny Onyegin.  She pulled me close and sang a few phrases from the aria softly in my ear.  I nearly fainted again.  ❤️   That was the greatest moment of my life.  Her presence was overwhelming.  She said it was "flattering to have such a handsome young man swoon" over her, and while I never considered myself remotely handsome, it was certainly gracious of her to say such a thing.  Perhaps she saw my love for her, or saw something in my soul (if there is such a thing as a soul).

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Archimago said:

Whoa... Nice writeup and work Mitch! ?

Now this, IMO, along with Tyll's work over the years is what reviewing headphones is about; creatively utilizing both the objective and subjective modes of evaluation into a coherent, mindful conclusion without unnecessary flowery prose nor "lifestyle" meanderings. Taking the opportunity to educate along the way.

Looks like we have the beginnings of more useful headphone reviews to come... ?

Thanks Arch! Yes, this was my intent and was hoping it would hit the mark. I am indeed looking to review more phones in the future. Keep up the great writing, that Oppo you have reviewed is some piece of kit. What can't it do!?!

19 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Great review @mitchco

We have the new Tyll ?

One measurement which I know a couple respected DAC/Amp designers used to pay attention to in Tyll's work was his distortion measurements.

Just wondering if you're able to provide this for these cans and future reviews.

Great job. Already looking forward to your next one.

484653435_ScreenShot2018-06-24at11_49_44am.thumb.png.f1404e42335a55b7e8e5f29cfd1e5d5e.png

Example:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersAeonBook.pdf

Hi @Em2016 thanks for the kind words. Yes, I plan to show distortion measurements for this headphone and in the future, other headphones. The issue I have at the moment is that the mic preamp I use is low quality with some distortion products at low frequencies. So, I am looking for a replacement mic preamp and will re-measure and add the charts. Cheers!

6 hours ago, mitchco said:

Thanks Arch! Yes, this was my intent and was hoping it would hit the mark. I am indeed looking to review more phones in the future. Keep up the great writing, that Oppo you have reviewed is some piece of kit. What can't it do!?!

Thanks for the note Mitch. Alas, the Oppo can't do gapless DLNA streaming. ?

Likewise, wonderful to see you expanding into the head-fi gear. Looks like you'll need to get yourself a dummy head/ears soon!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Excellent work Mitchco.  You always hit the mark. 

Maybe look at the Sound Devices MixPre3 for a mic preamp.  

Also on some measurements done like this with the in ear microphones, maybe it would be good to do the same on a couple other people.  Show what the response is like in different ear shapes.  (probably want a test panel where each member has their own pair of mics).  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

+1 for a well-written and well-balanced review! And also pleased to see PSB get some love 'round these parts. My Image T6 pair on Isoacoustics Gaia III feet are great bang for the buck in my home and still going strong.

Even though I'm not big into cans, I've wondered about Barton's Roomfeel and this review's technical side compelled me to pull the trigger. Thanks again!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Nice job on your first (of many) headphone review for CA. I especially appreciate you targeting a headphone at this price point for your first review.

Headphones, as you know, are exceedingly personal. I’ve never tried this particular set of headphones but I’ve read where some people can’t tolerate the clamping pressure. This is by no means a universal experience but it speaks to the importance of shopping at brick and mortar establishments.

I would be interested to read your take on  Audeze Möbius headphone once its released into the wild(said to be some time in July). And yes, I am very much aware of the knock against some of Audeze’s other headphones as being uncomfortably heavy to wear for extended listening sessions. My understanding is that the Möbius is advertised as being relatively lighter in physical weight.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, esldude said:

Excellent work Mitchco.  You always hit the mark. 

Maybe look at the Sound Devices MixPre3 for a mic preamp.  

Also on some measurements done like this with the in ear microphones, maybe it would be good to do the same on a couple other people.  Show what the response is like in different ear shapes.  (probably want a test panel where each member has their own pair of mics).  

Good to hear from you Dennis and thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking Art Pro MPA II as the Hilo has a transparent ADC. Rane also had an excellent preamp I used in the studio, but no longer available. Then there is the question of mics and about ear shapes. This is interesting: poster.jpg

Cheers, Mitch

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:22 AM, JR_Audio said:

Hi Mitch. What a great work and write-up. My full respect for this level of clean analysis and writing. This is extraordinary. Thanks. Juergen

Thank you Juergen for your kind words. I really appreciate it! All the best, Mitch.

9 hours ago, feelingears said:

+1 for a well-written and well-balanced review! And also pleased to see PSB get some love 'round these parts. My Image T6 pair on Isoacoustics Gaia III feet are great bang for the buck in my home and still going strong.

Even though I'm not big into cans, I've wondered about Barton's Roomfeel and this review's technical side compelled me to pull the trigger. Thanks again!

Thanks @feelingears, I appreciate your comments. Make sure the fit is good. As @esimms86 says, the clamping force out of the box can be unbearable and I have a big noggin. But as I say in the review, if you bend the headband enough, there appears to be hinge point on both sides that snap into a wider position, and then the camping force feels just right. Hope you enjoy the neutral SQ!

13 hours ago, mitchco said:

Good to hear from you Dennis and thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking Art Pro MPA II as the Hilo has a transparent ADC. Rane also had an excellent preamp I used in the studio, but no longer available. Then there is the question of mics and about ear shapes. This is interesting: poster.jpg

Cheers, Mitch

Thanks for the insert on ear shapes.  I'll look it over. 

The Rane pre's are usually good.  Various Rane preamps show up pretty often on Reverb.  Maybe you could get one there. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the HP50s for several years now and love the sound. The fit, the ergonomics, and the dorky look represent downsides to various degrees, and the SQ is a bit tame compared with (naturally) much more expensive headphones, but they're definitely one of the great values and intelligent sonic designs of this era in affordable sound.

Excellent technical review.