1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

My purchases today:

zvdpjqdmmr8bn_600.jpg

0060255729059_600.jpg

0060255723860_600.jpg

0060254738675_600.jpg

0060254700251_600.jpg

All 5 highres albums together for less than €40. I'm not complaining

These are very good (didn't listen Battaglia though) Manu Katche album initially sounds very attractively, but does not hold attention in a long term format.

12 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

These are very good (didn't listen Battaglia though) Manu Katche album initially sounds very attractively, but does not hold attention in a long term format.

I already had the Manu Katche in redbook and have used the opening track so often in listening tests that I simply had to get the highres. 

I agree the rest of the album is less powerful. 

Nice! Thank you...

... still waiting on their US launch ... I know I could do the VPN signup routine, ugh ... maybe I’ll do it. 

I would definitely pick up a couple of the Avishai Cohen albums, and Last Leaf by the Danish String Quartet.

A question about Sublime+ pricing... are the purchase discounts only on hi res, or are there discounts on redbook versions as well? 

BTW, @Musicophile I love your blog. I’ve purchased a number of albums based on your reviews.

14 minutes ago, ds58 said:

Nice! Thank you...

... still waiting on their US launch ... I know I could do the VPN signup routine, ugh ... maybe I’ll do it. 

I would definitely pick up a couple of the Avishai Cohen albums, and Last Leaf by the Danish String Quartet.

A question about Sublime+ pricing... are the purchase discounts only on hi res, or are there discounts on redbook versions as well? 

BTW, @Musicophile I love your blog. I’ve purchased a number of albums based on your reviews.

Thanks first of all for the nice feedback.

No the sublime discount only applies to high-res, redbook is not affected. But you'll often get the highres for less than the price of the un-discounted redbook.

This for example is the current (discounted) pricing on Cross My Palm With Silver on their French store (other countries may vary):

image.thumb.png.be94398f33527bc6e13cddc125f9ea21.png

20 hours ago, Musicophile said:

After the good news, some bad news:

Yet another case of upsampled content:

Manu Katchés Neighbourhood is clearly an upsampled 24/44 album (in which format it is sold e.g. at ProStudioMasters). It is true 24 bit though. 

01-01-Manu_Katche-November_99-SMR.m4a_report.thumb.png.39cb7a220d5e6ce9f123cfa416c8ed10.png

Qobuz customer service came back and said sorry again. They say they cannot QC every single album in their store. Well, HRA can (but have a smaller catalog). 

In any case, should you find a false high-res they typically give you a free album to compensate, as they did here (in the end, this is probably the cheapest form of QC...)

6 hours ago, Musicophile said:

In any case, should you find a false high-res they typically give you a free album to compensate, as they did here (in the end, this is probably the cheapest form of QC...)

The question I have is, once the false high-res album is identified, do they change the marketing copy?

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

3 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

The question I have is, once the false high-res album is identified, do they change the marketing copy?

Unfortunately I have at least one example where they haven’t done it, the latest EST in London is still sold in the 24/96 version I flagged to them as upsampled. 

• 6 months later...