IGNORED

Article: dCS Network Bridge Review

49 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Absolutely agree with all you say in your review, including the results of listening to MQA sources (whether first unfold in done in Roon or with the dCS NB via the firmware update, for those who have had the unit for some time) into the Berkeley Ref. 2 w. MQA. 

I've yet to try the NB with the Yggdrasil in my other system.  You've certainly piqued my interest on that score, seeing just how it stacks up to a Audio Alchemy DMP-1 that I'm currently using.

And, as you clearly point out, this is a really cool Swiss Army knife in the digital audio toolkit -- as well as a sonic wonder.

Hi Steve - I highly recommend trying one on your Yggdrasil via AES. If your results are anything like mine, you'll be very pleased.

40 minutes ago, mecani said:

very good review.
It's a pity the usb dac output is not activated
to have known your opinion about this output

I know dCS is perfecting the USB output as much as possible before releasing that update. USB output isn't a walk in the park. It may seem rather trivial but when you think about connecting the Bridge to numerous DACs and the fact that every DAC has some quirks (think pops and ticks on sample rate switches, DSD DSF DFF, etc...) you start to realize how difficult it is to please many people with one product. If dCS said it would only work with DACs X, Y, and Z, I'm willing to bet they'd have the update out tomorrow. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, rikhav said:

Hi Chris 

As usual well done review 

So essentially this can be a uogarde to sms200s and micro renedu?

Agree that it can breathe some much needed life Into a old dac which sounds very good till date 

Any idea if the data got from the ethernet input is reclocked

Thanks for the kind words.

I believe I know the answer to your question about reclocking but lets ask @AMP

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, MarkS said:

Hi Chris: Is the Chet Baker stuff you mention in the review from cd rips? I couldn’t find it on Tidal, HD Tracks, or Super Hi-Res. 

Yes. It’s this album -> https://www.amazon.com/Chet-Baker-Bill-Evans-Legendary/dp/B002XVZ1O4?keywords=AJC99005&qid=1529224740&sr=8-1&ref=mp_s_a_1_1

1 hour ago, Confused said:

When you run Roon with HQPlayer, the output is NAA, not RAAT.  So basically Roon outputs to HQPlayer, and then HQPlayer outputs NAA to whatever your endpoint is.  So unless I am missing something here, the Network Bridge is not compatible with HQPlayer, with or without Roon.

Yeah, I had things mixed up a touch. For some reason I had in my head that HQP was handing it back to Roon but that makes no sense. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

24 minutes ago, blaven said:

I am finally intrigued enough to consider this in addition to my Aurender but appreciate help.

I presently run Aurender S10 (USB) --> Berkeley alpha USB (AES out) -- Meitner MA1

Since I am already using the AES off the Alpha USB to the Meitner, should I then use SPDIF from DCS Network Bridge to Meitner MA-1.  I am concerned about jitter issues with SPDIF (less of a concern with DCS clocking?)and the quality of a SPDIF input o the Meitner or other DACs as I have only used USB and AES previously.

I figured I'd post this here as I am guessing others that would consider adding this would have similar possible issues

Thanks!

Hi Blaven - It will likely be a trial and error thing to get the best sound quality. I’d have both an AES and S/PDIF cable and try each interface on each device. There are variables such as which one is best on the D to D converter and D to A converter. 

Part of the fun is spending time listening to every configuration possible and deciding for yourself. 

If the MA1 has BNC that’s a plus as well. 

3 minutes ago, Confused said:

This is interesting and very relevant to my current situation.  I have a dealer that is happy to lend me their demo Network Bridge for a few days next month.  I already own a Mutec REF10 and MC3+USB (probably one of the better "store and forward" clock devices:))

Anyway, obviously I want to demo the NB in the best possible way that I can.  It occurs to me that there are different ways I could configure my set-up. 

1. I could use the REF10 to provide the reference to the MC3+USB, then simply run the system Ethernet to the NB, NB AES3 to the Referenced MC3+USB, MC3+USB AES3 to my Devialet amp.

2. I could use the REF10 to provide the reference to the MC3+USB, and then use the MC3+USB to provide a 48kHz word clock to the NB.  I could then run Roon up-sampling everything to 192kHz to the NB, and connect the NB direct to the Devialet via AES3.  (Also, in time I could add an additional MC3 to provide both 44.1 and 48kHz word clock signals to the NB)

I see 1) having the advantage of only requiring one external clock connection compared to two external clock connections for 2)

I see 2 as having the advantage of a more direct signal path to the Devialet.

Any idea which is best from a technical perspective?  Or is it a case of try it and see?

Other options would be to get the MC3+USB to provide a word clock to the NB, and feed the NB's AES3 feed through the referenced MC3+USB.  Maybe too radical or problematic?  A final option would be to run the NB without the Mutec kit, nice and simple.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I would try running the NB straight into the Devialet via AES without using the Mutec devices as well. 

• 9 months later...
59 minutes ago, Paul R said:

I am glad you do not wish to argue, because quite simply, you are wrong there. And yes, I have read the thread. People are welcome to believe what they will, this is a hobby after all. 

Server quality in terms of fans, disks, Ethernet cards and so forth does not impact the quality reproduced by the endpoint. There are endless tests that provide very compelling evidence this is true. Including using a virtual server in Europe to service an endpoint in The US vs a local server 5 feet away from the endpoint. Nobody could tell the difference, guessing well within the parameters for random chance. That even includes thentransmissions being encoded and decoded by the IPSec VPN that connected the two locations.

You are are welcome to believe whatever you want, and spend your money however you wish of course.  But the sever - assuming it is sufficiently powered and not broken of course - has no real effect at all upon sonic quality. Or at least, there is no compelling evidence it does or even can. 

Let me point out that, for example, Tidal is using virtual severs hosted on the most electrically noisy computers you can imagine, geographically separated, and even running on virtual disks.  All in a hyper converged environment,  served over the Internet going through who  knows how many routers and media conversions to get to the endpoint player. 

Yet people feel that the sound quality from Tidal is excellent. Or Qobuz which is probably grabbing material, in real time, from Europe. Even listening to Tidal or Qobuz through Roon, which adds another layer to the delivery.

Still, it isn’t my money. 

Hi Paul - You touched on a couple things well. First, “it isn’t my money” is great. Many in this hobby could benefit from such an attitude. It’s similar to my who cares or what’s wrong with you editorial. Live and let listen. 

Second, my experience both technically and in audio mirrors yours with respect to servers sending data over Ethernet. I’ve never heard a fan or ssd effect music sent to an endpoint. 

That said, in the very popular thread Larry mentioned there are tons of great people hearing differences in all this stuff and enjoying the heck out of their journeys. 

All I ask is that we give opinions and educate people in a respectful manner. No matter what those opinions are.