IGNORED

Article: dCS Network Bridge Review

I think there'd be a few of us who would love for someone to be able to compare this to the "SOTM Trifecta" solution (or parts of it, I guess)...by itself I suppose you could/would still want a reclocked switch feeding the dCS, perhaps?

And I for one would love to know, from there, how it compliments and/or compares to an HQPlayer upsample/Roon software feed vs. letting the dCS do it's own thing, as someone ahead of me alluded to.  

I don't (yet) have an elegant/up-to-date way of feeding the Yggy with AES, and this seems like a great candidate in spite of the $5K.  I'm selfishly not willing to give up my Roon control, however.

Yeah, I guess I'm just saying if there are any concerns of a sound quality loss using Roon with the dCS, as implied by some of the comments above (or implied in other reviews I haven't yet read), and a loss of HQ Player (if not compatible), some comparisons of final sound quality across the options would be beneficial, with Roon in the mix.  My comment on Roon is that I'm not prepared to drop it (and perhaps HQPlayer) if sound quality loss with the Network Bridge, were in fact, true.  That's not to say the Network Bridge by itself wouldn't/couldn't sound better than my setup--I'm merely suggesting not getting the best out of a $5K piece of kit to use Roon would be unfortunate, again, if true.  It might sound better even WITH some SQ "loss" from Roon, again if true...just asking if folks know.

For the record, I think the Network Bridge is really intriguing, particularly at that price point...hence my interest in seeing how it compares to some other favorably configured Roon endpoint/reclocking solutions (like the SOTM gear) outlined in detail on the forum.

7 hours ago, maxijazz said:

Nowhere to be found in the quote an opinion, that sound from Roon is inferior. 

Sorry, I felt it was implied in the question...in particular the sentence referencing "other reviewers."  I do see the follow-on comments regarding the Aries...thanks to shinyc for clarifying.

Regardless, if HQPlayer is not compatible, I suspect many would argue that with certain DACs, you're potentially losing out on some SQ when using Roon based on a lot of the findings here, including my own.  Others may wholly disagree.

All of that not withstanding, hopefully I'll be able to demo a dCS Network Bridge myself.  I'm merely hoping someone had already done the comparisons and could comment.