IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

On 6/10/2018 at 2:45 PM, Kimo said:

I am considering auditioning some higher powered electronics with my Alta Audio Celesta FRM-2 monitors. 

Hi Kimo,

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I'd be very curious about your thoughts on your FRM-2's.  Things you like, don't like or comparisons to other speakers you have owned?  If you posted a review elsewhere, could you post a link?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, Blake said:

Hi Kimo,

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I'd be very curious about your thoughts on your FRM-2's.  Things you like, don't like or comparisons to other speakers you have owned?  If you posted a review elsewhere, could you post a link?

I will do my best to give a summary with pro and cons.

The FRM-2s are best described as a musical speaker with a very full sound and sweet highs.  The Raal tweeter rarely offends and makes many other metal drives sound harsh or closed in by comparison.  The bass is very full and fairly deep for any speaker, let alone a monitor.  The midrange is blended very well.  By comparison, my 10" Tannoys sounded more open through the midrange, leaner, more coppery if you will, with some harshness on the high end.

While the bass is very full and deep, it is not as dynamic as a larger speaker.  The treble is very sweet and clean, but perhaps not as extended as some.  I can't really find much to fault with the midrange, though some might look for a more forward sound.  The speaker is not hard to drive, provided a 4 ohm friendly amp is in use.  I have used both tubes and solid state with equally satisfying results.

Pros: Smooth and even frequency response, excellent bass, sweet treble

Cons: Not as dynamic as a larger speaker, more open sounding speakers can be found, needs enough amp for the 87db/4 ohm load

When I have compared with other speakers at the dealer, I tend to find those sounding a bit closed in and slightly harsh by comparison.  

Thanks Kimo, much appreciated!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC