IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

Hi Kimo ,

I am in the same hunt as you. I have Martin Logan Montis now driven by a Jadis I50 integrated tube amp. I have been in tubes for many years and I am trying to get out of it to benefit the convenience of transistor amp. 

I am listening to many classical music , sacred music and voices. Therefore timber and detail is key for me. 

I was trying to buy the end game amp and I had in my radar the following products.

Mac Intosh 8900

Nu vista 800

Mark Levinson 585

pass int250

Gryphon 300

vitus integrated 

I had on loan in my system the Mac Intosh 8900. On some music , it is just pure magic with presence to die for.

The soundstage is extremely wide but not very deep. 

Unfortunately on some music ( voices , some instrument like harpsichord ) where the emotion is coming from the transparency in the treeble range , the Mcintosh was not transparent and detailed enough. It was quite obvious when compared to my Jadis. 

Eventhough i like a lot this Mcintosh, i did not choose it. 

I was also able to have the ML 585 in my system for a few days. It is also a very good product. 

More detailed in the treble range and a little bit more transparent than the Mcintosh. 

Unfortunately it does not have the magic of the Mcintosh in the midrange. 

I did not choose it either. 

The surprise came came from a piece of equipment not on my list.... a few days ago I was at a friend home to listen to some Brinkmann mono amps that were quite good. My friend had also a Nagra Classic amp that he was not interested in anymore. 

I listened to this piece of equipment and for me it was just amazing , I did like a lot what this amp was doing. 

I then was later able to listen to this Nagra amp in my system for an afternoon. 

The preamp was a Hattor passive preamp driving the Nagra classic amp. I have never heard the ML Montis sing like that ...this amp are revealing skills in my speaker that I did not think they had. The bass is way way better I have never heard before. The dynamic is the best I have ever heard with the Montis. 

It is very detailed , transparent and highly musical. 

The Nagra is not so powerful , only 100w in 8 ohm , but it is a true champion in true dynamic which is going fast from very tiny sound to a loud sound. Too often there is confusion between playing loud and true dynamic. 

You have understood that this amp is for me a winner in my system. Since my friend has agreed to sell it , I will test it again in my system for a few days and will make the decision to purchase it which at this time I am pretty sure it will be yes. 

I will report in a few days. 

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis