IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

I came within an inch of picking up an Accuphase, but thier lack of power and lack of current made me think better of it. If you have 4 Ohm speakers you need an amp with muscle to double into 4 Ohms. Consider the higher end McIntosh integrated which can put 200w into and load using thier autoformer tech.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, Kimo said:

Thanks for a lot of great options.  I have divided them up into classes.

Gryphon looks to be something special 950 watts into 2 ohms.  16k retail.  

Pass INT 250: I am familiar with the Pass gear and from the description posted sounds like a typically great Pass unit.  

Accuphase 470: Rated at 180 into 8 ohms and 260 into 4 ohms, so I am not sure how it compares to the others on the list that double down.  Priced similarly to the Pass.  Offers more flexibility and less back breaking.

Modwright and Coda look similar and are priced closely at retail 5K and 6K respectively.  Either one looks like a great "economy" option.  

Would love to have a Gryphon, Accuphase/Pass, Modwright/Coda shootout.

The Accuphase inability to double output suggests low current -- someone please correct me if I'm wrong -- which in turn suggests they will struggle with difficult loads. This doesn't mean Accuphases are bad, but it may mean extra care in system matching may need to take place. On the other hand they publish impressive noise specs.

Modwrights get mixed reviews. They had a real nice-sounding system at last year's AXPONA. I think they make thier own capacitors.

47 minutes ago, Summit said:

Mark Levinson no 585 and Simaudio Moon 700i can be fund used for a “good price” and are considered one of the best integrated amps. I like to have one myself.

Yes on the 585, impressed by this unit at AXPONA this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hegel = unique technology, good value audiophile-grade.

BAT = fully balanced, use of 6H30 super tubes and thier nice oil capacitors.

Other brands worth being on your radar are AudioNet and Vitus. The  former was a head-turner that stood out to me in AXPONA, and the later at THE Show.