IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

On 3/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, Kimo said:

Thank you for the insights of digital amplification.  I actually made my choice, which was quite traditional.  Would be hard pressed to get this performance out of most integrateds.  

http://www.linnenberg-audio.de/html/widor.html

I really didn't want an amp with a built in DAC.  My box count is the same, using a DAC with a built in volume control.  The no preamp guys got to me.  This is my last amp, I suspect.

did you compare with Devialet Expert Pro line?

On 3/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, Kimo said:

Thank you for the insights of digital amplification.  I actually made my choice, which was quite traditional.  Would be hard pressed to get this performance out of most integrateds.  

http://www.linnenberg-audio.de/html/widor.html

I really didn't want an amp with a built in DAC.  My box count is the same, using a DAC with a built in volume control.  The no preamp guys got to me.  This is my last amp, I suspect.

6moons preferred linnenberg liszt to widor stating that Widor may only be mandated when having 2ohm difficult speakers.

On 6/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, a.dent said:

My thoughts are

Vitus RI-101

Gryphon Diablo

Accuphase E-470

All will drive most speakers to serious (ear damaging) volumes. I have Magico S5s.

DAC and phono stage can be installed in Accuphase. DAC only in the Danish integrateds.

I recently sold my Vitus to upgrade to Accuphase separates but the E-470 integrated is close to (or better than) the Vitus. 

Can you elaborate more on Vitus vs Accuphase class AB? E.g. Vitus RI-101 vs E-480?

On 4/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, Ajax said:

Hi Kimo,

I’m wondering what you don’t like about Devialet gear.

My Devialet 200 is my favourite piece of equipment for both sound quality and features - internal DAC, Pre/Power Amps, active crossover with both frequency and time delay, upgradeable firmware, streamer, flexible inputs...

We all like what we like so not challenging your decision just interested in your reasoning.

There has been a recent slash in pricing across Devialet line. Fore example, a brand new factory sealed 440 Expert Pro CI was sold for $10500cad by a dealer in British Columbia. As a result, people stay away from the brand. Imagine buying it and tomorrow the MSRP is only 50% of what it was until yesterday.

On 4/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, sfseay said:

That is the first time I have heard the 585 as sounding dark.  I guess you haven’t heard it or you wouldn’t say that.  I own a 585 and it is far from dark sounding.  Nobody would pay over $10,000.00 for a dark sounding integrated.  Very neutral sounding integrated.  

It sounds so good I’m selling my beloved Pass Labs INT-30A.

Nobody wants to pay more than $4700 for it on used markets now that 585.5 hit the market

Regarding Accuphase, I stumbled upon http://www.japanhifi.com

Pretty good pricing and they are legit. Seeing those prices of Accuphase, e.g. E-480 in $7000s, E-470 in $6000s, E-650 in $8000s etc, does that change any perception on the discussion so far? In terms of bang for the back, of course. The main reason for exclusion of Accuphase was the problem with NA pricing, approx. 2 time the price of JapanHIFI. The only thing is that they provide step-down transformer for 110v/100v (free of charge), but that is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things

On 11/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, Kimo said:

I dismissed them due to their high cost in the US market.  US retail on the 470 is 12K.  Buy new with step down transformer from Japan for 6K.  That is an expensive warranty.  

Can you elaborate on warranty if buying from Japan for $6k?

On 3/26/2019 at 9:49 PM, Kimo said:

I have the Linnenberg Wydor in the house and am running it with LInnenberg Telemann DAC/Preamp.  This accounts for my "integrated" solution.  

Not sure how much break in is needed, but I would characterize the sound this way.  Much like a clearer, more extended version of Pass Labs Class A offerings, the combo offers amazing depth compared with most other amps that I have had in the listening room.  The high SNR results in more subtle ques being more obvious, but not thrown out of proportion. 

Bass is a strong suit as well.  I never noticed this much texture on "Dreams."  Cymbals are extended, but so far never really harsh.  This of course may be due to the sound of the RAAL tweeter, at least in part.

The Linnenberg sound can be summed up as detailed, clean, deep, and colorful, with strong bass and extended highs.  

Well worth the wait.

Have you considered T+A 3100HV ? Many say it beats everything out there

3 hours ago, Kimo said:

I don't think that you get one.  Need to buy from an authorized dealer, which is the benefit of a USA purchase for sure.  I still won't pay that sort of bump to import.  

What would be the approx. cost of importing this $6k unit from Japan?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 1:25 PM, Kimo said:

I used to own an INT 30A, but upgraded.  One of the few amps I actually miss.  It really had a wonderful sound that I haven't quite heard in the newer stuff.

Probably it was not sufficiently resolving? Last few years, whether it is electronics or speakers, the trend is in the resolution. Because the musicality and liquidity must not suffer, the prices shoot up and up

On 4/14/2019 at 11:40 AM, Kimo said:

I did.  I read some reviews and some extra stuff on the net.  Sounds like good stuff, but an in home audition was not part of the package, so no buy.

What about Soulution 330 and 530? Have you considered?