IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

I am considering auditioning some higher powered electronics with my Alta Audio Celesta FRM-2 monitors.  They are of a nominal 4 ohm load.  I am only interested in integrated amps.  So far I have come up with 2 candidates.

1. Pass Labs INT 250

2. Jeff Rowland Continuum S2

I have ruled out a few brands already for various reasons:  Accuphase, Ayre, Boulder, Chord, Devialet, and Musical Fidelity.

Looking for suggestions and at least 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms.  Market seems smaller than I had thought.  I am done with heavy separates and monoblocks, though obviously the Pass isn't very easy on the back.

• Kimo changed the title to High powered integrated amp recommendations

CODA CSiB integrated amplifier. Their V2 configuration is rated at 250WPC into 8 ohm Class AB, 500WPC into 4 ohm Class AB, and stays in Class A up through 12Watts. They offer 3 configurations that are biased differently for various power outputs. I think they run about $6,000. I listened to one last year and liked what I heard. Check around on the web for reviews.

http://www.coda.cc/product/

I came within an inch of picking up an Accuphase, but thier lack of power and lack of current made me think better of it. If you have 4 Ohm speakers you need an amp with muscle to double into 4 Ohms. Consider the higher end McIntosh integrated which can put 200w into and load using thier autoformer tech.

17 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I came within an inch of picking up an Accuphase, but thier lack of power and lack of current made me think better of it. If you have 4 Ohm speakers you need an amp with muscle to double into 4 Ohms. Consider the higher end McIntosh integrated which can put 200w into and load using thier autoformer tech.

Have you spent much time with autoformer McIntosh's??

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

Lack of power, for real? Accuphase publish minimum specifications and actual measurements are far higher. The current delivery of Accuphase amps is enough to weld with, typically the larger amps can source one ohm.

Better an inch than a mm huh.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

Gryphon's Diablo 300 which gives you 300W at 8 ohm.  This is my previous Integrated amp to drive Magico S1 MK2.  Powerful, yet detail and musical and there is not much choice with such juice at such price range.

Yes, Gryphon Diablo 300 would be my choice too for an integrated amp, if affordable.

Mephisto/Pandora is ...well, not integrated but diabolically divine.

Your Avatar sucks.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

I never liked McIntosh SS amps. Even the huge mono amps sounded dull and underpowered. When I bought my some speakers a while back the owner demoed them with McIntoch gear, pre amp and mono blocks. The sound was bad IMHO. Then I put in my 100watt/channel integrated amp. The speakers became a lot more dynamic and lively.

[br]

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Yes, Gryphon Diablo 300 would be my choice too for an integrated amp, if affordable.

Your Avatar sucks.

Thank you for agreeing my suggestion of Gryphon.  

I believe if it is not my avatar, you would not be drawn to my reply, ?

MetalNuts

8 hours ago, GUTB said:

I would prefer Accuphase to McIntosh.  I had used 2 models of Accuphase and I did not find it lack of power.  However, no matter how powerful  McIntosh may be, it is not just mycup of tea though its look is appealing.

MetalNuts

15 hours ago, Kimo said:

Jeff Rowland Continuum S2

I had used this before and it sounds thin but it is one of the best Class D amplifier you can get.  Another thing I don't like is the polishing which will easily be stained and the manual said that it is not advisable to clean even with a light damp cloth.  So it leaves me hanging of how should I clean it (I have the habit of cleaning my equipment every week).

MetalNuts

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Your Avatar sucks.

Yep affordable, only $20k with the dac

The Truth Is Out There

14 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Brute strength? I am afraid you do not know what you speak about. They were pretty much well known for a best sound ever during performances. 

I know quite well what I speak about. Thank you very much. Crapintosh is garbage. They'd have to charge 1/3 less to justify their egregious sound. IMO, their autoformer tech is not hifi. Midfi yes.

My thoughts are

Vitus RI-101

Gryphon Diablo

Accuphase E-470

All will drive most speakers to serious (ear damaging) volumes. I have Magico S5s.

DAC and phono stage can be installed in Accuphase. DAC only in the Danish integrateds.

I recently sold my Vitus to upgrade to Accuphase separates but the E-470 integrated is close to (or better than) the Vitus. 

1 hour ago, Nordkapp said:

I know quite well what I speak about. Thank you very much. Crapintosh is garbage. They'd have to charge 1/3 less to justify their egregious sound. IMO, their autoformer tech is not hifi. Midfi yes.

If you know it well, you would probably be aware Grateful Dead were never about a brute force...  You welcome.

hi i enjoyed pass labs int 250 for about four months
I have to say that it is one of the best amplifiers that have passed through my hands, strength, control and at the same time delicacy
Everything will depend on the size of the room and the boxes that will move but I believe that this pass is able to move with solvency any market box