IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

Great to hear.  I bet the delay for Roon to start is the copying of it's database to ram.  A crontab job daily should take care of running 'ramsave' thus capturing any updates to Roon db.  

Jord is a busy guy these days.  Great for them.  Hope to get on his schedule to update soon.  

@flkin perhaps you have already described the the characteristics of the PF streamer elsewhere. Im mostly interested in the upcoming PF Scion streamer, it will probably be more within my budget. My system overall lacks a little bit of energy in the top end, not much but still I would like it to have more focus on the tiny details in the upper hz rather than it somewhat dark character It has now. Ive managed to take some steps in fulfilling this with getting anti-cables usb, chord shawline ethernetcable and a Uptone lps 1.2 power for my sms200ultra among other things.

Ive auditioned Auralic G2 and it seems to have more focus on the top end rather than having too much of the feel good organic sounding signature if that makes sense.
How would you describe the 2.16x overall sonic signature?
Obviously I would have to read impressions regarding the Scion stream when its on the market, but still would be interesting to hear a few words regarding PF 2.16x sound character. 
Also have you tried usb vs i2s on the pf?
An answer would be much appreciated since it might not be possible to audition a pf streamer before a possible purchase. 

8 hours ago, Metnoc said:

@flkin perhaps you have already described the the characteristics of the PF streamer elsewhere. Im mostly interested in the upcoming PF Scion streamer, it will probably be more within my budget. My system overall lacks a little bit of energy in the top end, not much but still I would like it to have more focus on the tiny details in the upper hz rather than it somewhat dark character It has now. Ive managed to take some steps in fulfilling this with getting anti-cables usb, chord shawline ethernetcable and a Uptone lps 1.2 power for my sms200ultra among other things.

Ive auditioned Auralic G2 and it seems to have more focus on the top end rather than having too much of the feel good organic sounding signature if that makes sense.
How would you describe the 2.16x overall sonic signature?
Obviously I would have to read impressions regarding the Scion stream when its on the market, but still would be interesting to hear a few words regarding PF 2.16x sound character. 
Also have you tried usb vs i2s on the pf?
An answer would be much appreciated since it might not be possible to audition a pf streamer before a possible purchase. 

Hi @Metnoc, I did a review of the Pink Faun 2,16x a while ago and compared it with the Antipodes CX and EX. It's here

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/?do=findComment&comment=886404

I have since changed my opinion about convolution and upsampling. Feelings and findings in audiophila is so fickle! 

I found the sound pretty much neutral in my setup, not particularly bright nor dull but balanced. One thing about PF is that they believe in tin coated copper wires wrapped in Teflon. They don't use silver internally. 

I didn't try their I2S connection as my DAC doesn't have this input option. I read it's pretty good and is on my list of thing to try later when I get a chance. Their i2S is highly configurable since the standard isn't fixed and comes with an OCXO clock on board too.

I'm also curious about their new Scion device used as an endpoint. Please update us here if you find out more.

I read your comments regarding Audiolinux in another thread. I am finding the recent V2 update with Ramroot makes quite a difference in sound quality so it definitely contributes to the PF sound.

Audio-Linux is compatible with these audio applications: HQPlayer and HQPlayer embedded (with CUDA acceleration, if you install nvidia closed source drivers), HQPlayer Network Audio Daemon, MPD (with optional upmpdcli UPnP media renderer), Logitech Media Server + Squeezelite-R2 with C-3POplugin, Kodi (XBMC), Jriver Media Center, Roon.  - http://www.audio-linux.com/

HQPlayer can be used as upnp renderer too.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded, rather fork-lift installed the latest PF AL build with Jord.  My Roon DB was too big to fit in 16GB ram, it's ~26GB, so I moved it to my 'music' SSD also in the PF.  Load ramroot and listened for a few hours.  

I can't say I hear any difference between ramroot and non-ramroot.  I did hear a nice increase with the new OS, and it's tuning though.

I'll give it another chance or 3 but right now, I don't hear the benefit.  The system sounds very, very good, great even, either way.

Of course, I'm not booting off of a USB that can be removed after boot, so whatever impact the SSDs have, it's still there but the OS SSD should be less/not active.

Otherwise, I've found Extreme2 (same as former Extreme), governor set to max, and turbo off sounds the best.  CPU not allowed to idle at all, same 65C core temp as previous OS build.

7 hours ago, lpost said:

Oops, check that typo, extreme mode has a more ethereal soundstage than extreme2.  I like some aspects of E2 better but overall my ear prefers E1.  I'll have to compare to BFQ (Standard) soon.

I'm liking E1 better too. E2 seems too hard and in my system the soundstage is smaller.

Are you finding that Roon takes a longer time to boot up in Ramroot mode also now that you keep your Roon database in SSD?

Boot time is about the same for Roon for me.  It takes about 20 secs additional to load root into ram.  3GB goes pretty fast.  I need more time with each of the combinations of modes to truly make a judgement.  

Are you still finding ramroot makes a noticeable difference?

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Pink Faun said:

Christiaan Punter from hifi-advice did a review of the Pink Faun streamer 2.16x, the full review can be read here:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/music-server-reviews/pink-faun-2-16x-1-3/

The streamer is reviewed in basic software setup, so no Ramroot or Extreme-mode, but result is also great.  Enjoy reading, it's a three-part review, take your time. 😉

Please, can you share some info about Scion?

Scion was mentioned in the comments section of the review.

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 hours ago, Pink Faun said:

Christiaan Punter from hifi-advice did a review of the Pink Faun streamer 2.16x, the full review can be read here:

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/music-server-reviews/pink-faun-2-16x-1-3/

The streamer is reviewed in basic software setup, so no Ramroot or Extreme-mode, but result is also great.  Enjoy reading, it's a three-part review, take your time. 😉

The new clocks sound amazing and makes a significant difference. Can’t wait to get mine 😄💦

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been mentioned previous in thread but i have the choice of either Pink Faun 216 or Antipodes CX which ever one i choose will be brought without auditioning.

Anyone listened to these and can give advice?

43 minutes ago, Nay said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned previous in thread but i have the choice of either Pink Faun 216 or Antipodes CX which ever one i choose will be brought without auditioning.

Anyone listened to these and can give advice?

They are both excellent machines in different price ranges. The CX is flexible as it allows upgrading with the Ex later. I did a review comparing the 2.16x with the CxEx pair and preferred the PF but to each their own. You are after all asking in the PF thread 😄

4 hours ago, Nay said:

What about Innuos Statement and Taiko Audio SGM Extreme?

Matt

15 hours ago, matthias said:

What about Innuos Statement and Taiko Audio SGM Extreme?

Matt

Havent listened to either of those so I wouldn’t be able to comment sound wise. Technically the PF has a lot going on internally that differentiates it with others - up to 5 extreme clocks internally, star earthing, up to 20 linear supplies, PF version of AudioLinux.

I did an technical breakdown of my unit, have a look here it that interests you: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/367/?tab=comments#comment-862221

1 hour ago, flkin said:

Havent listened to either of those so I wouldn’t be able to comment sound wise. Technically the PF has a lot going on internally that differentiates it with others - up to 5 extreme clocks internally, star earthing, up to 20 linear supplies, PF version of AudioLinux.

I did an technical breakdown of my unit, have a look here it that interests you: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/page/367/?tab=comments#comment-862221

Thanks for the link, very impressive!

However, as the Taiko Extreme and the full loaded PF are about in the same price range a comparison would be very interesting.

The Innuos Statement is half the price and very nice too.

Matt

Yes that would certainly be interesting, unfortunately not an easy group of streamers to get together to listen to!

The SGM and the PF has shared roots as the SGM clock module was built by PF in the 2015 model. PF made them a power system too but they ended up going with another design. 

A local friend heard the SGM Extreme prototype in Hong Kong and said it was very nice. 

8 hours ago, flkin said:

Yes that would certainly be interesting, unfortunately not an easy group of streamers to get together to listen to!

The SGM and the PF has shared roots as the SGM clock module was built by PF in the 2015 model. PF made them a power system too but they ended up going with another design. 

A local friend heard the SGM Extreme prototype in Hong Kong and said it was very nice. 

I like the Xeon/JPLAY architecture of the Extreme, there is a thread about on WBF.

Sorry for being OT.

Matt

2 hours ago, Nay said:

Can someone tell me the outside dimensions of the 2.16 streamer 

LxWxH and approx weight?

Thank you.

The streamer 2.16 measures 45 cm (large/width)  x 41,5 W (depth) x 15 cm (high) 

approx weight I would guess around 15-20 kg. It sure is heavy.

Dirk