IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

I too use the DS for about 6 months now.  I bought the Bridge II along with it but have since sold it (for what I paid).  I use Roon exclusively and the connivence of the Bridge is great but for me, in my system, USB direct from my regular PC sounded better, much better.  I listened to USB direct for about a week, switched back to Ethernet/Bridge for a few hours and sold the Bridge.  I have optical isolation in my Ethernet network and found this helped improve the sound but not as much as USB direct.

I then added a DDC Matrix X Spidf 2 - USB to I2S converter.  This took the sound to an entirely different level still using the same standard PC and Roon.

I expect to receive my 2.16 in a few days and the Matrix will be sold but it served to open my ears to the potential of isolation and better clocking.  

For my 2.16 I chose to go direct I2S as I believe this should ultimately be the best despite the potential for noise via metal conductors (HDMI).

I would avoid as many conversions as possible.  Hope this helps.  

P.S.  I use toslink from Apple TV 3 to DS for some video, mostly music on Youtube.  It sounds as good as the source on YT.  

David, 

Sorry if I did not understood your question well, but using a device like ultrarendu is completely useless if you own a PF 2.16:

It has a LAN port, so music streaming through lan and i2s output is a standard feature (if you have ordered the i2s Bridge). You don't need any other hardware. 

I would suggest to order / upgrade the streamer with a data ssd for music files. In this case you serve music locally and direct to your Dac, therefore you can save AudioPhile network goodies like oxco switch, LPSU, fiber net, etc. Not to mention better SQ

4 minutes ago, lpost said:

How much does the 2.16 weigh?  I just received tracking info, shipped it is 42 kilos!

I think the net weight is about 30 kgs. The wood cradle is another 10-12 for sure. So, if you had missed the gym for a while, ask your buddy to help you with unpacking and positioning ?

15 hours ago, RP993 said:

David, 

Sorry if I did not understood your question well, but using a device like ultrarendu is completely useless if you own a PF 2.16:

It has a LAN port, so music streaming through lan and i2s output is a standard feature (if you have ordered the i2s Bridge). You don't need any other hardware. 

I would suggest to order / upgrade the streamer with a data ssd for music files. In this case you serve music locally and direct to your Dac, therefore you can save AudioPhile network goodies like oxco switch, LPSU, fiber net, etc. Not to mention better SQ

Hi RP993

My ignorance shows!

To explain in more detail.

My music library is on a NAS remote from the HiFi (DAC etc), on another floor and linked via a wireless bridge (2 x Airport Extreme). I run MinimServer on the NAS and curate the music library using an iMac adjacent to the NAS. At the HiFi end I have a 6ft wire ethernet run to a pair of back to back wire-to-optical fibre ethernet converters connected with 3ft of fibre (and powered by linear PSUs), and then 3ft of wire ethernet to the Bridge II in the PS Audio DS DAC.

So I have no need for any additional server hardware. Hence to rephrase my question:

Is it likely I could get improved SQ relative to the Bridge connection by using a Sonore ultarendu for ethernet-to-USB conversion followed by a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to go from USB to I2S?

Apologies for going completely off the Pink Faun topic thread.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Dude,

Apologies, back at ya.

Get yourself a PinkFaun 2.16, run the ethernet straight in to it, run I2S out to a Denafrips Terminator, a Holo Level 3,, a Matrix X Sabre or even a Directstream.

All problems solved.

I am MCH, employ a PF I2S MCH bridge and employ an external NAS linked by ethernet as well.

It's not complicated.  Be safe.

Out.

jjk

I received my 2.16 today.  The shock sensor indicated over G threshold but the unit is not damaged in any way and works fine.  Fine packing job.

I have HQPlayer enabled in Roon but I don't seem to be able to get to the management web page on port 8088.  Did it change to something else recently?

My streamer has been updated about 1 month ago, and the the management webpage is still on port 8088.

e.g. for me it is http://192.168.0.127:8088/config

Are you sure you have  the right IP-address and eventually username -password ?

Dirk

Thanks.  A port scan shows 8088 isn't running.  I know Jord is off Mondays, I've not heard from him since I received it and I suspect there is more to setup.  I don't see HQPlayer in the process list either but Roon connected to it on localhost without issue...

I'll wait to hear from Jord, thanks guys.  It already sounds fantastic.

Jord replied re: HQPlayer, mine wasn't licensed. 

On another note, I also told him from the start I had a 1TB SSD with my music that I wanted to install, he said it would be no problem.  It was no problem to connect and install the drive, but I found the power supply board for the 2nd disk wasn't soldered to the bus..and thus the drive doesn't get power.  A bit of an oversight on their part but disappointing nonetheless.  I await Jord's reply, I bet he'll just have me solder it, which I can easily do, but perhaps they are trying to produce more machines than proper QC will allow.

Besides this flub, it sounds great and continues to get better the more I listen.  So far only listening to Tidal as my music isn't yet seen.

23 hours ago, lpost said:

The 2nd drive power filter board wasn't soldered to allow mounting of the drive on the backside.  My only issue is that I didn't know this until I discovered the drive wasn't getting power.  I mounted the drive and soldered the connections without issue.  Music imported fine.  A heads up from Jord would have been nice, that's all.  Spending this much money to have to solder is a bit much but whatever.

Now to play with HQPlayer and see if it's worth fussing with for 192k PCM or just stick with Roon.  Initial listen I didn't hear much difference.  

Seems a bit difficult to switch back and forth from HQP and IS2 direct within Roon.  Any tips to allow switching without having to completely disable HQP?

On 6/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, m3lraaHnevetS said:

Try 44.1 (or anything else) coming from Roon through HQP with PCM filter settings at none, none, none, 44.1, 192

this only works when the first file you play is indeed a 44.1 file, after that you can also play hires files natively using these settings.

To me this sounds better than any upsampling and also much better than just Roon.

Schermafbeelding 2018-06-30 om 14.26.50.png

The settings for HQPlayer without upsampling is in this thread in the post above and a few after that. It allows 44.1 and highres PCM files to play as is  without upsampling. And DSD files play also with HQP's filters. Basically takes over Roon's job to render the music. Some say it's the best way and from what I'm hearing recently on my PF looks that way. I will do more comparisons when I find time. 

I'm finding no HQP, and no upsampling in Roon, is sounding really, really good with just 5 days of play on the 2.16.  HQP 'transport failed' on my 3 times in 2 hours.  Meh.  It's fussy to change settings, load/unload via ssh.  I don't expect I'll bother with it except when I need a tweakers fix.  All the filters I've tried sound fantastic, just slightly different, not better or worse.

I expect the 2.16 will inhabit the guest room closet for the foreseeable future.  

IMG_2337.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I need to make a correction. I see that I inferred that the Mutec Ref10 and tx wasn't improving the sound from the Pink Faun. It's actually the Cybershaft OP-14 plus tx that isn't. I had access to the Ref10 from @Kritpoon sometime back and was doing the tests with during the breaking in process of the PF. At that time the Ref10 brought something to the table. I've had to return the unit since.

My own OP-14 is an excellent clock like the Ref10 but I have found that I prefer a direct connection to the DAC rather than through this clock/tx-USBultra combination currently. When I have a chance, I will get the Ref10 back and try again. 

The Opera Gala - Live from Baden-Baden - Fantastic!  I need to explore more opera.

2.16 is forming very nicely 3 weeks in.  

I2S > DirectStream DAC > BHK Sig preamp > M700 monos > Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2, dual Rythmik L12 servo subs  -  18'x14'x8' smaller space, moderately treated plus convolution filters

Ah convolution filters, that's something interesting to explore. Haven't done so yet but at this level I think it will make the most difference. 

Both Roon and HQPlayer offers this adjustment, I wonder which one makes more difference?

I understand that we need to get a microphone and some software to build the filters in the first place. Does anyone have any suggestions to get started on this?