IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

Where do I tell HQPe about the URL?  The benefit of routing through Roon is the control.  I can easily change from local files, Tidal and to Spotify 'internet radio' all within Roon.  

If I feed direct to HQPe, I expect I will have to contend with 'Roon lost control...'

For others that may want to set this up, here's the path:

Windows (or other supported machine on network running) Spotify client > Stream What You Hear (SWYH) > http stream fed to Roon Internet Radio station > Roon feeds HQPe > DAC.

Spotify Connect from any other client can control selection and play, I just have to select the Roon Internet Radio station.

I've tried the uPNP route but haven't found a combination of server/renderer/control point that all want to work together.  Plus it would be another interface outside of Roon or HQPe that I would have to interact with...making it more cumbersome than my current setup via Roon Internet Radio.

Now onto setting up Soundiiz to automatically move my 'discoveries' in Spotify to Tidal playlists.

I also need a scheduled task to ensure Spotify is stopped/paused and not consuming bandwidth endlessly.  Minor as it's just 320k but still a waste to forgot and leave it streaming.

Thank you Jussi for your assistance and patience!

• 1 month later...

The Pink Faun 2.16x will be Munich Hi End Audio Show 2019. Partnering with Aries Cerat equipment. 

I've always wanted to hear the Kassandra II DAC with the PF. If any one goes to the show please comment!

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/04/aries-cerat-at-munich-high-end-audio.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+monoandstereo/HOym+(MONO+AND+STEREO+Ultra+High-End+Audio+Magazine)&m=1

• 2 weeks later...

What DAC are you using?  It seems the DAC would need to use the clock from USB output board for the phase noise to matter at all.  The DAC I own does not use any clocking from anywhere but it's own right before the conversion to analog.

10 hours ago, flkin said:

Initially it felt quieter and then we realised it was from the speed of dynamic sounds being controlled faster. Music felt more alive and exciting and with the increased speed, new details and emotions revealed themselves.

This has been my experience using a 19v Farad power supply with my AL NUC endpoint.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:50 AM, austinpop said:

Had a great chat with Jord from Pink Faun on Thursday, about server design, clocks, and power supplies. Their show system was pretty extreme (in a good way), with the wacky looking (but excellent sounding) Aries Cerat chain!

IMG_1262.JPG

Thank you, it was a pleasure meeting you.

• 4 weeks later...

An update about the latest AudioLinux kernel  4.19.37 rt19 1 rt bfq and the 235 menu for Pink Faun 2.16.

The CPU Governor under Expert mode doesn't work properly or doesn't display it if it does work. Setting exclusive cores also is slightly buggy. I'm was able to isolate 2 cores sometimes!

However from the BIOS, under OC Tweaker, one can set CPU frequency and voltage change to manual and specify a value. The frequency fixed here still doesn't display as fixed under AL Menu Status as fixed. So there's something amiss at this stage. 

However during my experimentation I discovered a very nice setting sound wise and is now my preferred setting.

In addition to my usual settings for AL -  Extreme priority, Normal Boot mode, Ramroot, I am finding that with the addition of selecting to using only 1 CPU core and setting in Bios the CPU frequency to 2500MHz and voltage to 1.000v the sound becomes a lot more analogue.

Initially I though it was less dynamic but on longer listening it was simply more emotional and less hard. Details, focus as good and scale as large as before but smoother. I sat through 3 Beethoven complete symphonies at a single sitting and felt zero fatigue. Switched back and forth many times with the same effect.

I'm told that changing the frequency/voltage will break some of the AL scripts and isn't recommended - not until PF/AL makes some fixes to the current software version I suppose. But what I am hearing is very nice so I'm staying with it. Perhaps only for those willing to experiment...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 7:21 PM, flkin said:

An update about the latest AudioLinux kernel  4.19.37 rt19 1 rt bfq and the 235 menu for Pink Faun 2.16.

The CPU Governor under Expert mode doesn't work properly or doesn't display it if it does work. Setting exclusive cores also is slightly buggy. I'm was able to isolate 2 cores sometimes!

However from the BIOS, under OC Tweaker, one can set CPU frequency and voltage change to manual and specify a value. The frequency fixed here still doesn't display as fixed under AL Menu Status as fixed. So there's something amiss at this stage. 

However during my experimentation I discovered a very nice setting sound wise and is now my preferred setting.

In addition to my usual settings for AL -  Extreme priority, Normal Boot mode, Ramroot, I am finding that with the addition of selecting to using only 1 CPU core and setting in Bios the CPU frequency to 2500MHz and voltage to 1.000v the sound becomes a lot more analogue.

Initially I though it was less dynamic but on longer listening it was simply more emotional and less hard. Details, focus as good and scale as large as before but smoother. I sat through 3 Beethoven complete symphonies at a single sitting and felt zero fatigue. Switched back and forth many times with the same effect.

I'm told that changing the frequency/voltage will break some of the AL scripts and isn't recommended - not until PF/AL makes some fixes to the current software version I suppose. But what I am hearing is very nice so I'm staying with it. Perhaps only for those willing to experiment...

Update on my Pink Faun 2.16x settings for best sound after further experiments in the Bios.

Audiolinux settings:

- CPU isolating 1-core

- Normal Boot mode

- Extreme for priority 

- Ramroot

- Roon no upsampling, no HQPe 

- Set ethernet speed 100Mb/s

- Expert exclude modules:

echo 1000 > /proc/sys/vm/stat_interval

echo 0 > /sys/bus/workqueue/devices/writeback/numa

echo 8 > /sys/bus/workqueue/devices/writeback/cpumask *

echo -1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us

echo 0 >/sys/devices/system/machinecheck/machinecheck3/check_interval

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/watchdog

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog

echo 1500 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

Not sure if the above exclusions actually work (doesn't seem to be any harm so far) but this one does:

echo 8 > /sys/bus/workqueue/devices/writeback/cpumask

* For cpumask, the 8 depends on what which CPU cores are isolated. In this case it’s CPU3 (core 4). Calculate this figure from http://store.tomandmiu.com/cal-cam.php Non hyper-thread, enter the core number and get the affinity number. If the mask number is incorrect, sound becomes more detailed and sharper. Not nice at all.

Bios settings:

- CPU frequency 2800Mhz

- CPU voltage at 0.9volts

- RAM voltage at 1.1volts

Note : Before experimenting with the Bios, good idea to make a backup at the bottom of the "tweaked" tab. If the streamer hangs (mine did during trials of settings not described here) there is a reset button behind the 2.16x which resets the Bios to original settings. Then you can return to your last working Bios settings from the restore option.

Adding a reclocked switch helps my system further. The treble is smoother.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, flkin said:

Adding a reclocked switch helps my system further. The treble is smoother.

Hi flkin, can you share which switch you use? I wonder if you also have considered an internal (clocked) network card? (powered by the 2.16 or with a external psu, I.e. JCAT NET).

Hi Fred, prior to the 2.16x one box solution I was using the SOtM spaghetti system of which I still own. Part of that system had a standard D-Link switch that was modified by SOtM to add a clock input and linear regulators internally. I then used a Cybershaft OP14 clock through a tx-USBultra to generate the clock signal for the switch. Then I passed the ethernet signal through this D-Link switch before entering my 2.16x. 

Its a a little more tricky as I have to power the D-Link and tx-USBultra and so used my existing 2 LPS1 supplies - themselves requiring supplies to operate. And with LPS1 devices you have to ground the negative to drain leakage currents. In total a lot of wires, but something I’m used to from my spaghetti days 😄!

Yes I agree that an internal clocked card would be a neater and better solution. I ordered a PF LAN card with OCXO clock a long while ago but, due to intel firmware issues, the card isn’t ready yet. When it does  eventually arrive it will be interesting to see if an external clocked switch still makes a difference.

5 hours ago, flkin said:

Hi Fred, prior to the 2.16x one box solution I was using the SOtM spaghetti system of which I still own. Part of that system had a standard D-Link switch that was modified by SOtM to add a clock input and linear regulators internally. I then used a Cybershaft OP14 clock through a tx-USBultra to generate the clock signal for the switch. Then I passed the ethernet signal through this D-Link switch before entering my 2.16x. 

Its a a little more tricky as I have to power the D-Link and tx-USBultra and so used my existing 2 LPS1 supplies - themselves requiring supplies to operate. And with LPS1 devices you have to ground the negative to drain leakage currents. In total a lot of wires, but something I’m used to from my spaghetti days 😄!

Yes I agree that an internal clocked card would be a neater and better solution. I ordered a PF LAN card with OCXO clock a long while ago but, due to intel firmware issues, the card isn’t ready yet. When it does  eventually arrive it will be interesting to see if an external clocked switch still makes a difference.

Haha, you must have had a deja vu when your setup increased with 5 boxes at once 🙂. Good to see a Pink Faun Network card is in the pipeline, nice! It would sure declutter things and very likely sound better than the D-Link/OP14/PSU’s/..  

On 7/12/2019 at 7:11 AM, flkin said:

Bios settings:

- CPU frequency 2800Mhz

- CPU voltage at 0.9volts

- RAM voltage at 1.1volts

My system became unstable at these low (lowest possible) voltages, at least for CPU.  I've returned to default voltages for both and haven't noticed any SQ degradation.  The lower CPU frequency is definitely better sounding to me.  I'm back to using HQPe though, it just sounds more natural to me than Roon alone.

I worked with Piero a bit regarding the pstate issues and AMD Ryzen.  He's on holiday but will work on it upon his return, though I'm perfectly happy setting the values in bios and be done with it.

Congrats on the 2.16.  It's a fantastic machine.  Mine is just over a year old.  You're getting in at a great time in Piero's AudioLinux development.  It's not always been so slick and well done.

I put in a, long since retired from work, PCIe fiber nic in 6 months ago for a modest improvement.  Drivers were already on the system so it was no fuss whatsoever.