IGNORED

Pink Faun 2.16

Ok I see. Its that your HQPlayer settings use the full xtr filters upsampled to DSD512. I can't get this setting to work with 44.1 files and the only difference is the DoP setting.

My unit contains the AMD Rizen 8-core chip. Is that the same as your unit?

My head is spinning with the huge number of possible combinations available. And not all filter combinations work with different music file resolutions. The only DSD512 stable settings I can find is with the -2s/ASDM options. Although not my preferred filter, it sounds pretty good anyway.

Just want to confirm that it is indeed easier to use the harder filters under DoP setting. But I'm finding I still prefer the Native setting for my Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC2.0.

Another question for Pink Faun streamer owners, do you leave the machine on 24/7 or switch it to standby (one pink led on).

Jord informs when in standby mode the motherboard and processor clocks are still on but not the card clocks for synchronisation issues. 

I also have the PinkFaun streamer.  I run multichannel through Win10 Pro and JRiver.

I have OCXO clocks on the mobo, the I2S MCH bridge and the PF USB board.

My DAC lineup is Denafrips Terminator/Holo Lvl 3/ Matrix Pro.  Revel F208s.  My room is the weak spot.

FWIW, several months ago I compared the Holo, the PF 3.32 and Directstream Jr for my C/Sub position.

I thought that the Holo and PF were clearly superior to the DJr.  I decided on the Holo based on a little bit better connection flexibility.  The sonics were too close to call, Holo v PF.

I couldn't be happier with the equipment, and Jord and Mattijs at PF have been outstanding to work with.  Highest possible rating.

Regards to all.

p.s.  The Terminator absolutely kills it.  Top shelf, up where Grandma keeps the cookies.

jjk

On 6/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, jjkale said:

I also have the PinkFaun streamer.  I run multichannel through Win10 Pro and JRiver.

I have OCXO clocks on the mobo, the I2S MCH bridge and the PF USB board.

My DAC lineup is Denafrips Terminator/Holo Lvl 3/ Matrix Pro.  Revel F208s.  My room is the weak spot.

FWIW, several months ago I compared the Holo, the PF 3.32 and Directstream Jr for my C/Sub position.

I thought that the Holo and PF were clearly superior to the DJr.  I decided on the Holo based on a little bit better connection flexibility.  The sonics were too close to call, Holo v PF.

I couldn't be happier with the equipment, and Jord and Mattijs at PF have been outstanding to work with.  Highest possible rating.

Regards to all.

p.s.  The Terminator absolutely kills it.  Top shelf, up where Grandma keeps the cookies.

If you have the older streamer (I believe that is what I traded in on the 2.16) you will be in for a shock moving to the 2.16. It is a lot better. 

On 6/15/2018 at 4:27 PM, edorr said:

Sorry I missed this for a day. If I understand the architecture over I2S correctly, upgrading clocks at the source does not benefit sound because the clocking is not used. I could be wrong. You could ask Ted @ PS audio to validate this. No doubt folks on the forum can weigh in as well. 

I understand the goal of the OCXO is not the clocking per se but the reduced phase noise.

3 hours ago, lpost said:

I understand the goal of the OCXO is not the clocking per se but the reduced phase noise.

Well either way, I won't be shipping the unit back to holland and I would not want a DIY install of the clocks to I guess I'll have to live without them. Not sure what the pricing is either. 

It may be a little more complicated than that as the clock boards are separately powered and regulated. Not sure if ordered without the clock, the power supply is pre-wired especially given their  complicated star-earthing system they have in place?

Anyway, a quick email to Jord will clear this up if interested.

On a side note,

the motherboard and CPU clocks can also be installed under the motherboard (as an option) to shorten the signal path. The benefit of clocks are said to be highest when installed closest to the point they are required. 

Yeah, I recognise those photos, it's my unit. It shows the 2 clocks installed on one board under the motherboard. It has separate power regulation despite being on the same board I'm told.

It's not clear how this shortens the signal path though, I wonder how the connection is made to the MB and processor? I guess it's through the holes and into the bottom of the MB. This is one highly optimised and dense design of a machine!

It might be a logical shortening of the path and not so much physical.  No matter, we're both in a position to upgrade to the uber low-phase when they are ready.  Hopefully the price isn't too high for what should be a very subtle improvement.

I asked Jord which clock he felt/measured as most important to the audio signal.  Without a doubt, the clock on the output card.  This is probably the only one I would consider upgrading to the uber low phase noise one.  Otherwise, it never ends and I lose precious time to enjoy the music. ;)

I agree, Jord said the same to me.

I shipped mine back to correct a problem or two and it did take some time.  Also it cost me about $300 for shipping and that was with a FedEx discount.  Not sure if I want to ship it back again for low phase.

edorr, I had the previous model but now have the 2.16 internals if that makes any sense.

Do any of y'all have an opinion on what sounds best for redbook output:  native, 24/192 or DSD512?

Regards!

jjk

Actually Jord credited me back for my shipping cost by installing the latest USB board for no charge.  He paid for shipping back to me.

The hdmi/graphics on the intel 7700k became non-functional for some reason.  Probably related to a Windows update.  It was weird.

Jord also put the OCXO on the USB board.

I also bought his USB cable and one of his power cords.

Again, outstanding service and communication.  Really like those guys.

Prior to the original purchase I had a chance to visit him at his shop.  Highly recommended.  They were great hosts and it was an interesting and fun visit for an afternoon.  That is what convinced me to buy the streamer in the end.

For any of you history guys, Rhenen (where PF is located) is only a few miles from Arnhem and Oosterbeek, the location of one of the great battles of WW II...Market Garden (A Bridge Too Far).

jjk

3 hours ago, jjkale said:

Do any of y'all have an opinion on what sounds best for redbook output:  native, 24/192 or DSD512?

Regards!

As my 2.16 is breaking in, and it does seem to take quite some time for this to happen, the sound is becoming better playing in NOS mode. No upsampling at all, just Roon playing at original resolutions. 

It was fun experimenting with HQplayer and Roon upsampling and certain settings (polysinclp or polysincxtr mp/lp or Sinc) sound very nice but all that's changing as I approach full burn in. Now I find 44.1 as is it amazingly good - focused and full of detail, yet organic and real.

That said, I output as USB into a tX-USBultra reclocked by a Mutec Ref10. Managed to retire my IsoRegen and iPurifier in the chain but not the tX-USBultra. That still seems to add an extra sense of reality to the music.

3 minutes ago, flkin said:

That said, I output as USB into a tX-USBultra reclocked by a Mutec Ref10. Managed to retire my IsoRegen and iPurifier in the chain but not the tX-USBultra. That still seems to add an extra sense of reality to the music.

Hi Kin,

I just tuned into the  Pink Faun discussion. You just answered one of the key questions I had above!

I thought I would add, for Austinpop mostly, I'm going with only I2S into PSA Directstream dac.  With the DS, I've experimented with upsampling in Roon (not yet with HQPlayer) and don't find it does anything to the sound just CPU load on the Roon core.  With I2S I'm limited to 192PCM but given my experience with the DS, I'm completely fine with that 'limitation'.  I will be using their I2S cable.  Of course, I could always add USB card in the future.

With my current standard PC running Roon ROCK, the addition of Matrix X Spdif 2 made a tremendous improvement vs. USB direct to DS.  

Jord et al have found USB adds significant latency further affecting the sound vs. I2S.  Whether it's audible or not, I guess it depends on the litany of system variables.  

Anxiously awaiting delivery.  It should ship early next week.