IGNORED

TLS THE ONE Server

Anyone know the price including OCXO for ethernet, USB and CPU/chipset?  What CPU is used?  

It says USB 3.0 PCM 32bit / 768kHz and DoP Native DSD ... should that be DOP and native DSD?  At what rates?

The TLS website gives me a 404 if I click  on Contact Us. I also get NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID if I click on their logo.  Clearly they need to fix their website.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

This is THE ONE box solution I have been waiting for. My search is over!

For those who are interested, let me summarise my journey and thoughts for a top notch One box solution:

- At first I was looking at decent Roon endpoints, with the Metrum Ambre highest on my list. For the money an excellent product, but the lack of upgradeability (ie psu, OXCO clock) made me hesitate. I also would need to sort out a NUC or something for Roon Core and music storage (currently a standard desktop PC with NAS).

- Then I had serious thoughts for a SoTM stable, which offers a great and flexible upgrade path (swapping cables and adding ie clocked switch, psu and OXCO clock boxes). Especially the improvements of an additional OCXO clock is very interesting, given the positive experiences on the web (Mutec, Cybershaft, SoTM, ..). When aiming at a higher level this would mean several devices and create a whole spaghetti mess in and behind my cabinet (also acting as an antenna). And quite expensive considering the amount of required power cables and wall sockets or power strips for 5-8 devices.. my tipping point was when the importance of the clock cable was experienced (seen here on CA, thanks for sharing), this appears to have a big impact on sound quality, but also significantly adds to the cost (cost could be half of the price of the master clock device itself). So I definitely decided that approach won’t suit me either..

- At the same time Antipodes announced there new EX and CX lineup. I very much fancied the CX, being an one box solution with Roon Core and (optional) internal SSD storage, so possibly only one power cord in with a direct digital signal out: very slick! The whole new architecture is also very promising, even with an integrated psu in a separated chamber of the unit. Antipodes also has an excellent service reputation and for offering an upgrade path for the older/legacy models. Unfortunately the CX didn’t appear to have a Master clock input, otherwise I was ready to bite the bullet.. shortly after the P2 was announce, this is (again) an add-on for the EX or the CX. Here we go again I thought.. I wanted to stick with a one box solution, so I decided to pass.

- After I had a listen at the 3.4 streamer over at PinkFaun, I also got the change to listen at the PinkFaun 2.16 streamer/server, which simply was impressive. Considering the version I heard didn't had any upgrades it sounded already really good. The very friendly Jord told me about the further options (like OCXO clocks, wiring, fuse, ..), and even the top of the line 2.16x model with a separate psu. Having listened at the 2.16, knowing it could even improve considerably with the upgrades (ie internal OCXO clocks), I knew this is the one box approach I fancied: A (roon)server with internal storage and clocks. Unfortunately all of this would exceed my budget quite a bit.. Not saying it is expensive. Of course a decent amount is involved, but considering the direct sale model I reckon it is still a very very interesting price / performance ratio and I bet service is also top notch! But still, unfortunately out of my league. (In the same week a full blown Streamer 2.12 (previous version) occasion appeared on a Dutch hifi site, after contact with Jord this model could be upgraded to the latest 2.16 spec (board/processor/RAM upgrade). I was very tempted, until finally..

- when the first rumours on a The Linear Solution Server appeared I contacted TLS and after an email exchange with Adrian (which was very responsive and helpful) this server ticked all boxes, a true One box solution. Where the PinkFaun did not fit my budget, The Linear Solution Server still asked for some stretching, but I was so intrigued with their approach and decided to order the One. Their impressive performance with clocked switches, the communication with Adrian and very useful first hand consumer experience/assessments gave me enough insights to make a calculated 'guess'. Worst case, it'll just be a very very good server. Best case, it’ll rock! It will be most interesting what effect the three(!) internal OXCO clocks, the power supply and of course the Dream OS (which seems to be something really special) have on its performance.

So my search for a single One box solution is finally over, now great times ahead!

8 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Great news.When will you receive it and what's the price?

Happy to help, but at the start of the email exchange I told Adrian upfront that all subjects discussed will remain private, I want to keep this promise. I hope you understand this. On their website the price is (officially) TBD and will also depend on the configuration (OCXO's, SSD). So you best can contact TLS/Adrian directly. My ETA is August.

1 minute ago, FredM said:

Happy to help, but at the start of the email exchange I told Adrian upfront that all subjects discussed will remain private, I want to keep this promise. I hope you understand this. On their website the price is (officially) TBD and will also depend on the configuration (OCXO's, SSD). So you best can contact TLS/Adrian directly. My ETA is August.

No worries, it was just out of interest as I already have a server. The OCXO usb card also looks promising, nice to get some reviews soon as to how that stacks up against SOTM & JCAT and of course the server against the popular rivals.

I like it, accept for expected price.  Commercial mobo, pass.  Will be interesting to see the final design for some additional DIY ideas with SOtM sCLK-EX server.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

49 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I like it, accept for expected price.  Commercial mobo, pass.  Will be interesting to see the final design for some additional DIY ideas with SOtM sCLK-EX server.

I don't see any mention of price on their website, care to share what you heard regarding expected price? Even a range would help, TIA.

I think that it is going to be in the 8K range.  But I am not sure how high it goes with options.

I know Adrian has worked to get the custom OS down to extremely minimal processes happening for the audio.  After talking to him a while back, I believe that the OS is the real secret sauce here.  I am sure the hardware is extremely well put together as well.

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

The OS is the least important factor, other than it needs to work.  If you get the power and clocking correct, the software has little influence on SQ in my experience.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The OS is the least important factor, other than it needs to work.  If you get the power and clocking correct, the software has little influence on SQ in my experience.

There are many people with extensive experience who would disagree with this statement like @PeterSt.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

That’s mean there’s still rooms for improvement.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:34 PM, FredM said:

This is THE ONE box solution I have been waiting for. My search is over!

For those who are interested, let me summarise my journey and thoughts for a top notch One box solution:

- At first I was looking at decent Roon endpoints, with the Metrum Ambre highest on my list. For the money an excellent product, but the lack of upgradeability (ie psu, OXCO clock) made me hesitate. I also would need to sort out a NUC or something for Roon Core and music storage (currently a standard desktop PC with NAS).

- Then I had serious thoughts for a SoTM stable, which offers a great and flexible upgrade path (swapping cables and adding ie clocked switch, psu and OXCO clock boxes). Especially the improvements of an additional OCXO clock is very interesting, given the positive experiences on the web (Mutec, Cybershaft, SoTM, ..). When aiming at a higher level this would mean several devices and create a whole spaghetti mess in and behind my cabinet (also acting as an antenna). And quite expensive considering the amount of required power cables and wall sockets or power strips for 5-8 devices.. my tipping point was when the importance of the clock cable was experienced (seen here on CA, thanks for sharing), this appears to have a big impact on sound quality, but also significantly adds to the cost (cost could be half of the price of the master clock device itself). So I definitely decided that approach won’t suit me either..

- At the same time Antipodes announced there new EX and CX lineup. I very much fancied the CX, being an one box solution with Roon Core and (optional) internal SSD storage, so possibly only one power cord in with a direct digital signal out: very slick! The whole new architecture is also very promising, even with an integrated psu in a separated chamber of the unit. Antipodes also has an excellent service reputation and for offering an upgrade path for the older/legacy models. Unfortunately the CX didn’t appear to have a Master clock input, otherwise I was ready to bite the bullet.. shortly after the P2 was announce, this is (again) an add-on for the EX or the CX. Here we go again I thought.. I wanted to stick with a one box solution, so I decided to pass.

- After I had a listen at the 3.4 streamer over at PinkFaun, I also got the change to listen at the PinkFaun 2.16 streamer/server, which simply was impressive. Considering the version I heard didn't had any upgrades it sounded already really good. The very friendly Jord told me about the further options (like OCXO clocks, wiring, fuse, ..), and even the top of the line 2.16x model with a separate psu. Having listened at the 2.16, knowing it could even improve considerably with the upgrades (ie internal OCXO clocks), I knew this is the one box approach I fancied: A (roon)server with internal storage and clocks. Unfortunately all of this would exceed my budget quite a bit.. Not saying it is expensive. Of course a decent amount is involved, but considering the direct sale model I reckon it is still a very very interesting price / performance ratio and I bet service is also top notch! But still, unfortunately out of my league. (In the same week a full blown Streamer 2.12 (previous version) occasion appeared on a Dutch hifi site, after contact with Jord this model could be upgraded to the latest 2.16 spec (board/processor/RAM upgrade). I was very tempted, until finally..

- when the first rumours on a The Linear Solution Server appeared I contacted TLS and after an email exchange with Adrian (which was very responsive and helpful) this server ticked all boxes, a true One box solution. Where the PinkFaun did not fit my budget, The Linear Solution Server still asked for some stretching, but I was so intrigued with their approach and decided to order the One. Their impressive performance with clocked switches, the communication with Adrian and very useful first hand consumer experience/assessments gave me enough insights to make a calculated 'guess'. Worst case, it'll just be a very very good server. Best case, it’ll rock! It will be most interesting what effect the three(!) internal OXCO clocks, the power supply and of course the Dream OS (which seems to be something really special) have on its performance.

So my search for a single One box solution is finally over, now great times ahead!

Congrats @FredM! The Kalpa-One will surely be a super Streamer! Look forward to your opinions after you break it in.

I too had long chat with Adrian about this and his design concepts are amazing. Ended up choosing something else for non-audio reasons but this was at the top of my list.

8 hours ago, flkin said:

Congrats @FredM! The Kalpa-One will surely be a super Streamer! Look forward to your opinions after you break it in.

I too had long chat with Adrian about this and his design concepts are amazing. Ended up choosing something else for non-audio reasons but this was at the top of my list.

Many thanks @flkin, I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. Happy to share my experience, but please take it with a pinch of salt.. coming from a standard desktop PC and moving directly the TLS / One server, I'm fast forwarding about 10 years of front end developments in one go ?

• 2 weeks later...

I went through a similar process of deciding what server to get.  I have found that OS, Clocking, and LPS make such a huge difference, and The Linear Solution ONE Server does click all the boxes, so I ordered one as well.  I also ordered their ethernet cable as well.

It will be fun to compare notes with you FredM when we get them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...