IGNORED

TLS THE ONE Server

This is THE ONE box solution I have been waiting for. My search is over!

For those who are interested, let me summarise my journey and thoughts for a top notch One box solution:

- At first I was looking at decent Roon endpoints, with the Metrum Ambre highest on my list. For the money an excellent product, but the lack of upgradeability (ie psu, OXCO clock) made me hesitate. I also would need to sort out a NUC or something for Roon Core and music storage (currently a standard desktop PC with NAS).

- Then I had serious thoughts for a SoTM stable, which offers a great and flexible upgrade path (swapping cables and adding ie clocked switch, psu and OXCO clock boxes). Especially the improvements of an additional OCXO clock is very interesting, given the positive experiences on the web (Mutec, Cybershaft, SoTM, ..). When aiming at a higher level this would mean several devices and create a whole spaghetti mess in and behind my cabinet (also acting as an antenna). And quite expensive considering the amount of required power cables and wall sockets or power strips for 5-8 devices.. my tipping point was when the importance of the clock cable was experienced (seen here on CA, thanks for sharing), this appears to have a big impact on sound quality, but also significantly adds to the cost (cost could be half of the price of the master clock device itself). So I definitely decided that approach won’t suit me either..

- At the same time Antipodes announced there new EX and CX lineup. I very much fancied the CX, being an one box solution with Roon Core and (optional) internal SSD storage, so possibly only one power cord in with a direct digital signal out: very slick! The whole new architecture is also very promising, even with an integrated psu in a separated chamber of the unit. Antipodes also has an excellent service reputation and for offering an upgrade path for the older/legacy models. Unfortunately the CX didn’t appear to have a Master clock input, otherwise I was ready to bite the bullet.. shortly after the P2 was announce, this is (again) an add-on for the EX or the CX. Here we go again I thought.. I wanted to stick with a one box solution, so I decided to pass.

- After I had a listen at the 3.4 streamer over at PinkFaun, I also got the change to listen at the PinkFaun 2.16 streamer/server, which simply was impressive. Considering the version I heard didn't had any upgrades it sounded already really good. The very friendly Jord told me about the further options (like OCXO clocks, wiring, fuse, ..), and even the top of the line 2.16x model with a separate psu. Having listened at the 2.16, knowing it could even improve considerably with the upgrades (ie internal OCXO clocks), I knew this is the one box approach I fancied: A (roon)server with internal storage and clocks. Unfortunately all of this would exceed my budget quite a bit.. Not saying it is expensive. Of course a decent amount is involved, but considering the direct sale model I reckon it is still a very very interesting price / performance ratio and I bet service is also top notch! But still, unfortunately out of my league. (In the same week a full blown Streamer 2.12 (previous version) occasion appeared on a Dutch hifi site, after contact with Jord this model could be upgraded to the latest 2.16 spec (board/processor/RAM upgrade). I was very tempted, until finally..

- when the first rumours on a The Linear Solution Server appeared I contacted TLS and after an email exchange with Adrian (which was very responsive and helpful) this server ticked all boxes, a true One box solution. Where the PinkFaun did not fit my budget, The Linear Solution Server still asked for some stretching, but I was so intrigued with their approach and decided to order the One. Their impressive performance with clocked switches, the communication with Adrian and very useful first hand consumer experience/assessments gave me enough insights to make a calculated 'guess'. Worst case, it'll just be a very very good server. Best case, it’ll rock! It will be most interesting what effect the three(!) internal OXCO clocks, the power supply and of course the Dream OS (which seems to be something really special) have on its performance.

So my search for a single One box solution is finally over, now great times ahead!

8 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Great news.When will you receive it and what's the price?

Happy to help, but at the start of the email exchange I told Adrian upfront that all subjects discussed will remain private, I want to keep this promise. I hope you understand this. On their website the price is (officially) TBD and will also depend on the configuration (OCXO's, SSD). So you best can contact TLS/Adrian directly. My ETA is August.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, flkin said:

Congrats @FredM! The Kalpa-One will surely be a super Streamer! Look forward to your opinions after you break it in.

I too had long chat with Adrian about this and his design concepts are amazing. Ended up choosing something else for non-audio reasons but this was at the top of my list.

Many thanks @flkin, I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival. Happy to share my experience, but please take it with a pinch of salt.. coming from a standard desktop PC and moving directly the TLS / One server, I'm fast forwarding about 10 years of front end developments in one go ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, rickca said:

Such as?

Sorry, can’t say. From the first contact I told Adrian that our conversation would remain private, I want to keep my word. All I can tell you is that I changed my order, it’s up to TLS/Adrian to make announcements. Sorry for the unintented tease 😀

• 4 months later...
On 6/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, FredM said:

This is THE ONE box solution I have been waiting for. My search is over!

For those who are interested, let me summarise my journey and thoughts for a top notch One box solution:

- At first I was looking at decent Roon endpoints, with the Metrum Ambre highest on my list. For the money an excellent product, but the lack of upgradeability (ie psu, OXCO clock) made me hesitate. I also would need to sort out a NUC or something for Roon Core and music storage (currently a standard desktop PC with NAS).

- Then I had serious thoughts for a SoTM stable, which offers a great and flexible upgrade path (swapping cables and adding ie clocked switch, psu and OXCO clock boxes). Especially the improvements of an additional OCXO clock is very interesting, given the positive experiences on the web (Mutec, Cybershaft, SoTM, ..). When aiming at a higher level this would mean several devices and create a whole spaghetti mess in and behind my cabinet (also acting as an antenna). And quite expensive considering the amount of required power cables and wall sockets or power strips for 5-8 devices.. my tipping point was when the importance of the clock cable was experienced (seen here on CA, thanks for sharing), this appears to have a big impact on sound quality, but also significantly adds to the cost (cost could be half of the price of the master clock device itself). So I definitely decided that approach won’t suit me either..

- At the same time Antipodes announced there new EX and CX lineup. I very much fancied the CX, being an one box solution with Roon Core and (optional) internal SSD storage, so possibly only one power cord in with a direct digital signal out: very slick! The whole new architecture is also very promising, even with an integrated psu in a separated chamber of the unit. Antipodes also has an excellent service reputation and for offering an upgrade path for the older/legacy models. Unfortunately the CX didn’t appear to have a Master clock input, otherwise I was ready to bite the bullet.. shortly after the P2 was announce, this is (again) an add-on for the EX or the CX. Here we go again I thought.. I wanted to stick with a one box solution, so I decided to pass.

- After I had a listen at the 3.4 streamer over at PinkFaun, I also got the change to listen at the PinkFaun 2.16 streamer/server, which simply was impressive. Considering the version I heard didn't had any upgrades it sounded already really good. The very friendly Jord told me about the further options (like OCXO clocks, wiring, fuse, ..), and even the top of the line 2.16x model with a separate psu. Having listened at the 2.16, knowing it could even improve considerably with the upgrades (ie internal OCXO clocks), I knew this is the one box approach I fancied: A (roon)server with internal storage and clocks. Unfortunately all of this would exceed my budget quite a bit.. Not saying it is expensive. Of course a decent amount is involved, but considering the direct sale model I reckon it is still a very very interesting price / performance ratio and I bet service is also top notch! But still, unfortunately out of my league. (In the same week a full blown Streamer 2.12 (previous version) occasion appeared on a Dutch hifi site, after contact with Jord this model could be upgraded to the latest 2.16 spec (board/processor/RAM upgrade). I was very tempted, until finally..

- when the first rumours on a The Linear Solution Server appeared I contacted TLS and after an email exchange with Adrian (which was very responsive and helpful) this server ticked all boxes, a true One box solution. Where the PinkFaun did not fit my budget, The Linear Solution Server still asked for some stretching, but I was so intrigued with their approach and decided to order the One. Their impressive performance with clocked switches, the communication with Adrian and very useful first hand consumer experience/assessments gave me enough insights to make a calculated 'guess'. Worst case, it'll just be a very very good server. Best case, it’ll rock! It will be most interesting what effect the three(!) internal OXCO clocks, the power supply and of course the Dream OS (which seems to be something really special) have on its performance.

So my search for a single One box solution is finally over, now great times ahead!

I strongly regret posting this (post above). Please be aware doing business with TLS.

After being very very very patient and polite for more than a year with The Linear Solution, I realise I was naive. Now with 5 unanswered mails, I’m even being completely ignored by TLS (I’ll share some fact based experience later).

I’ll contact Chris to see how some of my previous posts can be deleted or edited with a line containing a proper context. I would hate it when other forum members would find themselves in a similar situation.

7 hours ago, Ricones said:

We came to the conclusion that the server he sent is promising but underpowered and requires some more work

I’m actually shocked at the state the OneServer has been delivered to you. Imho a prototype at best, by no means a finished product for the consumer market. 

How on earth did your unit pass the quality control (*), you received a $8000 server which is bent, doesn’t meet agreed specs, has a diy finish, contains the wrong software, parts are not connected and doesn’t work as it should. A complete disrespect to the buyers.

* in the email exchange with TLS an QA control/test bench was mentioned, now I seriously doubt that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 6:25 AM, flkin said:

Hi @FredM

Sorry to hear about your issues with TLS. Please do detail your experience as it will surely help others to make an informed decision. I was actually looking forward to hearing how the TLS streamer sounded.

Hi flkin,

Tldr: I’ve been naïve, I’ve trusted TLS. Overall TLS is very polite and responsive, but clearly promises more than they can deliver. TLS ignores me now, with a $1500 deposit still at TLS..

Let me start saying that when the OneServer appeared on my radar, this was the one box server that ticked all my boxes. Based on some experiences with the TLS clocked switches I thought they know their stuff [but perhaps was more a lucky shot]. As TLS is a young company, I asked a fellow forum member for his thoughts on TLS, this was positive. Having a weakness for small innovative ‘start up’ companies, this was reassuring enough. I was also very pleased that my long search for an one box server could finally be over, so I decided to pull the trigger so that I could start experience a new ‘musical enjoyment’ with this top-of-the-line server.

After ordering the OneServer (June 2018), it has been delayed countless time. TLS failed to manage a honest/trustworthy delivery process. The each time some kind of a reason/excuse (delayed enclosure, transformer, OPPO getting out of business, snow,  ..). With all the ongoing delays of the OneServer I was worried that I would’ve get stuck with an already outdated server the moment it arrives at my doorstep. (AL/NUC based setup got traction).

After expressing my concern is about a board/proc of the OneServer (dec 2018), my wishes appeared to be answered. Without going into too much details, TLS was developing a NUC based server with 2 very ‘innovative’ complementary products and some major component improvements... this must be the holy grail...!! [I naively thought...]. I upgraded my order, with a price increase of about 15-20%, with an ETA of march/April 2019. Please note: Till this day none of these new complementary products/developments have appeared on the TLS website nor have been mentioned at any online community that I’m aware of.

The very next working day, a big change in my personal circumstances entered the stage (we needing to move to a new house/location). Despite my enthusiasm I wanted to cancel the order to have a clear focus, e.g. I even didn’t know if a dedicated listening room would be possible in the new house. So I asked to cancel the order. Then also I asked TLS to propose how we could end our ‘business relation’ in a respectful manner.

When I noticed the failed TLS job in post 40 of this topic (June 2019), I was amazed and utterly disappointed. That could have been me, waiting a year for a top-of-the-line server and receiving a… well, I can’t describe it other than a complete disrespect to customers solution. So besides trying to warp up my order with TLS ignoring 5 emails, now a month has past, I felt a strong urge to share my experience with fellow forum members to put my previous (too enthusiastic) posts about TLS in a proper context. This way fellow forum members/potential customers make their own informed decision.

I could write a book about my ‘emotional’ journey: the countless times I checked my mail hoping for e.g. an update on delivery, it has been a frustrating journey.. Looking back the change in personal circumstances was the best thing that could happen at the moment, otherwise I would have ended deeper in the rabbit hole... I guess there is a very slim chance TLS will come with a proposal to finish our ‘business relation’ in a respectable manner, I’m not holding my breath. Looking back, I made a bad decision. Be aware!

55 minutes ago, hieukm said:

I received the server with newest build NUC i7. Needless to say it was an shitty products from TLS. Bad build quality. Cheap components. I am seriously pissed to see none of his supporter or even the admin of this site to comment about this.

I would like to warn anyone to stay away from Thelinearsolution or risk losing money. 

I hope this site would ban anything relate to this company and the owner.

What an awfull result.. I'm sorry to hear that.

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

To me this would mean it has been produced in China.

All boxes are ticked for that just the same (sorry Fred). 

Perhaps this is where ‘Linear’ stands for: a direct relation with ‘design, development and testing’ in China.. 

Luckily 3 out of 3 known customers have at least had a very linear experience 

E55E47CA-9AD5-45DD-AE95-7186FF744679.jpeg

Given the awful build of the OneServer Ricones has received, the contrast of the TLS products are remarkable. I even wonder if the products Adrian -as a reviewer / opinion leader- received are similar to products customers have received, as if they are sonically talking about two different products:

Adrian wrote positively about the DS-1 “Great as that NUC sounded, the DS-1 sounds significantly better. The improvements are exactly what I have heard with clock improvements before. Clearly the OCXO is the reason for the bulk of this improvement.”

Ricones says his DS-1 sounded “really bad: flat sound full of digital haze, very difficult to listen to more than several seconds.” 

We’re not talking about nuances here, it just doesn’t add up. (I also noticed that Adrian’s DS-1 review sample was shipped in a nice yellow case, Ricones received his totl OneServer in a black case, with yellow tape, I admit).

Hopefully Adrian has an explanation on this and the other issues in this topic. 

I would like to hear from Adrian, as I’m still waiting for this response on my emails. The OneServer I ordered was way way past the due date and the NUCserver would also have been way past the due date. After seeing the pictures of both now, I believe there would have been more reasons to be entitled to cancel with a full refund (and I’m not even talking about the 2 DOA’s). Perhaps now we can solve it in a respectable matter via this forum. 

19 minutes ago, Ricones said:

@FredM   After I got it running, TLS sounded quite good.  Booting TLS from a stick with the latest version of AudioLinux (not Adrian's) produce a different SQ: mellow sound and bloomy low frequencies. 

Need to make clear that when it comes to SQ there is no comparison between the DS-1 unit I had and TLS.

I sincerely hope TLS can repair your OneServer properly, according specs and promises (with i.e. the DreamOS working). Imho it should sound nothing less than great. Thanks to this topic I’m sure he’ll do his utmost best.

7 hours ago, FredM said:

Given the awful build of the OneServer Ricones has received, the contrast of the TLS products are remarkable. I even wonder if the products Adrian -as a reviewer / opinion leader- received are similar to products customers have received, as if they are sonically talking about two different products:

Adrian wrote positively about the DS-1 “Great as that NUC sounded, the DS-1 sounds significantly better. The improvements are exactly what I have heard with clock improvements before. Clearly the OCXO is the reason for the bulk of this improvement.”

Ricones says his DS-1 sounded “really bad: flat sound full of digital haze, very difficult to listen to more than several seconds.” 

We’re not talking about nuances here, it just doesn’t add up. (I also noticed that Adrian’s DS-1 review sample was shipped in a nice yellow case, Ricones received his totl OneServer in a black case, with yellow tape, I admit).

Hopefully Adrian has an explanation on this and the other issues in this topic. 

Essential typo: the first three ‘Adrian’s’ mentioned above, should have been Austinpop

I can’t edit a post, so I’ll repost with the names in the right places, sorry for the confusion.

Given the awful build of the OneServer Ricones has received, the contrast of the TLS products are remarkable. I even wonder if the products Austinpop as a reviewer / opinion leader- received are similar to products customers have received, as if they are sonically talking about two different products:

Austinpop wrote positively about the DS-1 “Great as that NUC sounded, the DS-1 sounds significantly better. The improvements are exactly what I have heard with clock improvements before. Clearly the OCXO is the reason for the bulk of this improvement.”

We’re not talking about nuances here, it just doesn’t add up. (I also noticed that Austinpop’s DS-1 review sample was shipped in a nice yellow case, Ricones received his totl OneServer in a black case, with yellow tape, I admit).

Hopefully Adrian/TLS has an explanation on this and the other issues in this topic. 

10 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

Something is truly amiss with this story....not saying anyone is lying or anything like that. 

I am just saying that the two TLS Reference Ones I have a truly fantastic sounding.  Maybe a little DIY looking.  I know a power supply is a long way from a $9K server.

By the looks of the inside of the latest server attempts, it almost seems like he has hired people in China to try to build these servers and his plan is just collapsing around him. 

I assume he is in deep financially to all the projects that are on the books and backed up.  I am assuming that Adrian is not going to be able to pull out of this mess.  I don't want to damn a guy or say he is a bad person that is purposefully screwing over people.   I think that damning and speculations to his intents are nothing but gossip and chatter.  Emotions run high in these situations.  Dreams shitted on and such...

I wish the community here was strong and evolved enough to support someone that probably had good intentions but shite just got out of control.  I would implore Adrian to come on here and get real with everyone about his situation.  People are very forgiving when honesty becomes your guide.  Or at least get real with the people who you owe a shite ton of money to on an individual basis.  He is probably in more hell than any of you who are out money....ego and the very public slow disintegration of a business.   If the business has to fold, do it with grace and walking upright.

I am not making excuses or anything and I would be totally pissed about the situation if it were my money.   I have had similar issues with car projects. 

I enjoyed talking to Adrian back when had was working on the software and dreaming of his new server.  The big thread came along and made heroes of a few companies for a moment.  Then the unstoppable progress for SQ pushed the heroes out of the way and the next champions lined up.  I bet lots of companies have changed direction because of the findings in the big thread.  I mean look how many people have cycled through various high end servers and now for half the price have what they consider better with simple NUC implementations.  And the progress continues.  Hard to build a business off the fleeting moments of what others consider the best way to do things...for that moment.  Funny now many are now back around to single box solutions. 

But with harsh words and accusations, I don't think he would be anything but beaten up unless he was 100% honest with the forum..  Ho, hum......kinda hurts my gut just reading this saga.  Maybe I am too empathetic and compassionate for the hurt....on both sides of this mess.    I just can't believe Adrian is anything but overwhelm and hurting in this situation....not conniving and malevolent. 

Please don't construe anything I said as judgement against people's reactions here.  You have good reason.  It is just a painful thread to have to see on many levels.

Good luck to all. 

The person behind TLS could be the nicest person alive in a private situation, but we’re not talking about a person here.. We’re sharing experiences about a company who sells multi thousand dollar equipment to customers worldwide. 

During the sales process false promises and claims are made about the OneServer, which reach the surface now. Using the forum search other TLS products are apparently also sold with false claims: 

- Regarding the TLS OCXO switch it was stated by TLS that the complementary TLS PSU was a perfect match, designed for the switch => comparisons with other PSU’s -also quite regular PSU’s- proved wrong

- The Reference 1 PSU should be better than the SR7 => based on an one-2-one comparison this was also proved wrong (after this finding TLS still told me the Reference 1 is better)

Regardless of specific products, imho overall TLS sells its products with way too much ‘confidence’ which they’re not able to achieve: regarding a reliable ETA and quality (which appears to vary). That said, I truly hate to see the level of disrespect to its customers. What on earth was the person thinking while sending the earlier seen OneServers to its customers?