IGNORED

Article: What AirPlay 2 Means for Your Listening Setup

24 minutes ago, BerwynDad said:

My use case is the "classic" approach - I push iTunes music to multiple AppleTVs and an AirPort Express connected amp. I control it all with the iTunes Remote app. My AirPort Extreme driven network is pretty solid with no dropouts.

I'm hoping that this usage scenario is upgradable to AirPlay 2 with some combination of new hardware. While it would be nice, I'm not holding my breath for an AirPort firmware upgrade...

That's how I like to do it too. That way I can browse my iTunes library in another room, and push it to a device. Working from the phone, I'm limited to what's in my iCloud Music Library, which is not linked to my iTunes library. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I wonder about dropouts: I used to only get them once in a while with AirPort Extreme base. Then they happened more frequently. Over time I changed the WiFi frequency and finally got an Orbi. 

I still get the occasional drop out. Is it cell phone signals? Is it neighboring WiFi (there are a lot of networks despite this being an urban neighborhood in Seattle)? 

The only thing left to do is to turn up the power, right? Assuming that’s an option... Or just wait for AirPlay 2. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

21 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Nothing.  That's what it means.

Thank you, doctor! ?

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 9:06 AM, kirkmc said:

The problem is lots of devices can serve as HomeKit "hubs," but it's not clear what any of them do other than centralize a somewhat limited interface for controlling devices. The HomePod doesn't have an interface at all, and the Apple TV is limited to use when a TV is on, which isn't practical. What is needed is a HomeKit hub that allows more than just basic controls and settings, something that can store apps that can then be accessed by other devices, which would provide the functionality that Chris is talking about. 

The current concept of the HomeKit hub is amorphous, and quite confusing. I have not set up my Apple TV or HomePod as a "hub," and control everything from my iPhone (or even my Apple Watch) which cannot be a HomeKit hub, according to Apple. 

There are only three devices that can act as a HomeKit hub.

iPad, HomePod, and Apple TV.

You don't need an interface for the HomeKit hub only an ability to turn it on and off which is dead simple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207057

I have no idea what you find confusing about it.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:47 AM, loop7 said:

Mirroring Chris's remark, I wonder if Apple will ever evolve their approach to where a phone or tablet is simply a remote and configuration component and not part of the actual stream. 

I use "play something I like" with my Homepods all the time and it goes directly to the cloud not needing any device connected to it.

I also use Pandora or Apple Music from my Apple TV.

I rarely find the need to connect my iPhone or iPad via Airplay and even if I did it's not exactly a huge issue.

On 6/4/2018 at 5:28 PM, PeterG said:

Ummm...I'm not the expert, you are.  So let's not put too much weight on why I might think something.  But since you asked--as I understand it, AirPlay2 relies upon some combination of iPhone, iPad and HomePod--all produced by a company that has pushed great products with sound quality that is typically far below comparable stuff from competitors such as Naim, Klipsch, and (even) Bose.  So most CA readers are going to have a fundamental concern--will the sound be good enough, or am I just going to find this irritating?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.  Note that Archimago asks about a very important Apple weakness in the very next question.  He's more specific (and kind?) than I am, but our overriding concern is the same.

Archimago writes alot of nonsense and obviously delights in reaching different conclusions from every one else.

Why on earth are you comparing Apple to companies that make audio products and nothing else?

Also you are ignoring, or ignorant of what Apple has done in audio for both file types and file quality as well as eliminating DRM.

Not to mention the iPod.  Heard of it?

1 hour ago, DarwinOSX said:

Archimago writes alot of nonsense and obviously delights in reaching different conclusions from every one else.

Why on earth are you comparing Apple to companies that make audio products and nothing else?

Also you are ignoring, or ignorant of what Apple has done in audio for both file types and file quality as well as eliminating DRM.

Not to mention the iPod.  Heard of it?

This is a website devoted to music not corporate policy, so Apple should not get a free pass on the quality of its audio products simply because they make other products.  Actually, if I think about the extraordinarily vast resources available to Apple, compared to the ENTIRE high end audio industry, maybe we should hold them to a higher standard.?

I do not ignore Apple's other contributions.  I am ambivalent about them.  As I think I posted on another thread, I do not believe that computer audiophiledom would exist in it's current form without the iPod, iTunes, etc.  But those same products have pushed people toward low res files and away from lossless audio, away from albums and toward singles, and generally away from fidelity and toward convenience.?

11 hours ago, DarwinOSX said:

There are only three devices that can act as a HomeKit hub.

iPad, HomePod, and Apple TV.

You don't need an interface for the HomeKit hub only an ability to turn it on and off which is dead simple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht207057

I have no idea what you find confusing about it.

I have an iPad, an Apple TV, and two HomePods. I have never explicitly set any of them up as HomeKit hubs, yet I use HomeKit stuff (smart lights). I control my devices from my iPhone, my Apple Watch, or my iPad. There is nothing that tells me that a device is the HomeKit hub, and nothing that allows me to do anything with that hub. When I look in the Home app on any device, nothing tells me that one of my devices is the hub. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

On 6/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, feelingears said:

I wonder about dropouts: I used to only get them once in a while with AirPort Extreme base. Then they happened more frequently. Over time I changed the WiFi frequency and finally got an Orbi. 

I still get the occasional drop out. Is it cell phone signals? Is it neighboring WiFi (there are a lot of networks despite this being an urban neighborhood in Seattle)? 

The only thing left to do is to turn up the power, right? Assuming that’s an option... Or just wait for AirPlay 2. 

It’s most likely some sort of interference causing the dropouts. Things like microwave ovens can create all sorts of noise in the WiFi channels. You could also be running into problems with other WiFi networks using the same channel you are. I live in an apartment complex and I can see over 30 other networks. Despite having a strong signal I suffered from WiFi dropouts all the time. I have since gotten a router (Portal) that uses channels that almost no one else does and have not suffered a drop out since. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 3:02 AM, kirkmc said:

I have an iPad, an Apple TV, and two HomePods. I have never explicitly set any of them up as HomeKit hubs, yet I use HomeKit stuff (smart lights). I control my devices from my iPhone, my Apple Watch, or my iPad. There is nothing that tells me that a device is the HomeKit hub, and nothing that allows me to do anything with that hub. When I look in the Home app on any device, nothing tells me that one of my devices is the hub. 

If you turn your smart lights on when not at home either your Apple TV or IPad or both are acting as the hub. You can use the Phillips Hue app and bridge independent of HomeKit. When using the HomeKit app it designates what’s your HomeKit hub in your “home” window. Mine says “Mancave” Apple TV and “TJ iPad”. I don’t have a HomePod so not sure about that. 

Under ipad-privacy- see if use iPad as HomeKit hub is flipped on. I imagine it is Kirk. 

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by your article and saw Airplay 2 has now been released on Marantz. I was excited to go out and buy a bunch of Sonos and Apple HomePods and the AV to see how they work around the house. There’s always a sync issue with the Marantz and the rest of the speakers around the house. I have very fast internet. If I have sonos on round the house they sync fine together but the Marantz slightly off. Same with the Homepods. If I have Apple and sonos linked together they are way off. Can airplay 2 not seamlessly sync with different brands ? Any other ideas folks ? Would like a whole house system.