IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 for Windows (Official Thread)

16 minutes ago, bmoura said:

OK, time to report that one as an issue on your setup. 

I sent the log to Damien.  I'm just checking here to see whether I'm the only one with this issue.  I tried it both with AO and without AO and got the same results (I have a dual boot system) just to rule out AO as a factor.  I'm running Windows 10 Version 1709 (Fall Creators Update) with the June 2018 patches.  Actually, the setup program downloads and installs the required C++ runtime.  I checked in the registry that I have .Net Framework 4.7.1.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 6/17/2018 at 4:19 AM, rickca said:

When I try to install the A+ beta I get

Cannot continue.  The application is improperly formatted.

Damien has put out a new build of the A+ Windows beta.  This problem is now fixed.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Dinamoe said:

So my big question is this:

Does Windows have something comparable to Macs Direct or Integer Mode?  

We will see.  :)

I have liked something called "kernel streaming" in Windows. If and when it would be available in A+ I don't know.  And like Direct and Integer Modes on the Mac, some people will tell you it makes no difference.

That's my personal equivalent, but whether and when Damien feels it would be worthwhile, and whether it would make any difference for most users if it was offered, I don't know.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Dinamoe said:

So my big question is this:

Does Windows have something comparable to Macs Direct or Integer Mode?  

Windows has WASAPI exclusive mode which lets the application set the sample rate/format bypassing the usual audio mixer giving bit-perfect output to the DAC. Depending on drivers, ASIO may also be an option. I would assume that A+ supports at least the former.

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

Windows has WASAPI exclusive mode which lets the application set the sample rate/format bypassing the usual audio mixer giving bit-perfect output to the DAC. Depending on drivers, ASIO may also be an option. I would assume that A+ supports at least the former.

WASAPI and ASIO currently. Edit: And playing through something like a microRendu or other streamer device.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Audirva+ windows  Beta  works fine with  T+A Dac8 DSD using wasapi  with PCM or DSD limited to 128DSD

with ASIO output only PCM works,   native DSD failed after few seconds as PCM to DSD over DSD64

still some works to be done ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

in my dual pc system with jplay, A+ beta works perfectly up to 128 dsd in ASIO mode too, by setting Jplay driver as output.  

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:04 AM, mansr said:

Kernelsteaming is comming later into beta, says damien @ audirvana forum

On 6/23/2018 at 1:03 AM, juanitox said:

Audirva+ windows  Beta  works fine with  T+A Dac8 DSD using wasapi  with PCM or DSD limited to 128DSD

with ASIO output only PCM works,   native DSD failed after few seconds as PCM to DSD over DSD64

still some works to be done ?

Damien was working to get the ASIO driver of the T+A to work with DSD. I haven't seen in the Audirvana forums yet whether he has succeeded with that or not.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, pocarrie said:

in my dual pc system with jplay, A+ beta works perfectly up to 128 dsd in ASIO mode too, by setting Jplay driver as output.

edit: there are still some crashes from time to time and the gapless reproduction doesn't work well: there is a short silence between a track and the next one, and I hear a "click" on the DAC (T+A), it is as if with each new track the DAC hooks again the input frequency

- Pc Server: Win 10 Pro 64bit with two NICs (one dedicated to JPLAY/HQPlayer) with Fidelizer Pro/Process Lasso

- NAA Pc: Gygabyte 2807 - Windows Server 2016 Virtual Core Mode with AO v. 2.20b6 and Process Lasso

- Wireworld Starlight usb 3.0 (from NAA) + iGalvanic 3.0 + Furutech GT2 USB cable + iFi iUsb Micro 3.0 + Oyaide Continental 5S Silver (to DAC) 

- dac T+A DAC 8 DSD  - preamplifier Audio Research LS22r - amplifier Mark Levinson 27.5 - loudspeakers Dynaudio Confidence C1

- Interconnets: Kimber Kable Select - Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC

- Headphones: Focal Utopia   - Headphone Amplifier: Bryston BHA-1

I have the problem with A 1.0. My Os is latest Win10 pro. My Dac is Chord 2qute. When A play sacd iso only noise sound. In setting A show the dac can play to dsd512. This is an error because it should be dsd 128 only. I try set A play dsd via DoP but there was not this option. Please fix this. Thanks you

13 minutes ago, Lang Ht said:

I have the problem with A 1.0. My Os is latest Win10 pro. My Dac is Chord 2qute. When A play sacd iso only noise sound. In setting A show the dac can play to dsd512. This is an error because it should be dsd 128 only. I try set A play dsd via DoP but there was not this option. Please fix this. Thanks you

The DAC output resolution setting is not automatic. You must set it to DSD128 yourself.

Just now, Lang Ht said:

I tried but can't there aren't option I could change

Interesting. I have two places to set the resolution, one for the DAC capability and the other for the desired upsampling target rate. Can you post a screenshot?

I am new user - I use Windows for playing audio - haven't ever tried the mac version.  I am pretty value focused and looking for something that doesn't cost year after year like Roon.  Also trying out TIDAL right now - free for 3 months, so wanted to see how this integrated - and also wanted to hear MQA first hand.  I currently use mostly foobar to listen with a topping NX4 DSD on latest Windows 10.  Foobar does DSD OK, but doesn't do a good job upsampling or anything complex.  I'd say this 1.0 version of Audirvana is not quite ready for primetime. 

DSD Upsampling:

• After switching from ASIO to WASAPI, I am now stuck in DOP mode (no option to change in ASIO audio screen).  It was sort of working at first.  Now I can't use DSD512 at all b/c it is stuck in DOP mode.  
  • When upsampling to DSD512 was working, when going from Flac (tried 44/16 and 176/24) to DSD - the DSD64 file was played fast.  Had to stop and start and then played normal.  When going from DSD64 file to flac - it played the flac really slow.  Doesn't happen at upsample to DSD256 or 128 but ...
  • If upsampling to DSD256 - there is a lot of noise before the track plays, if upsampling to DSD128, there are clicks.
  • WASAPI only showed support for DSD64 and forced me to use DOP.  Likewise ASIO mode does not seems to allow DOP (but that is not a big deal for me)
  • I was interested in trying upsampling - I am usually one for leaving it at the native sampling / format (call me a bit of a skeptic on upsampling), but wanted to try it and hoping for a better implementation  

Other issues or complaints:

• My music library is totally out of order.  I have multiple library directories so it seem to order artist by library and then name.  I would think it should be by artist name only.  Also no concept of grouping by album artist (that I can see ) - or anyway for me to create a custom grouping.  The searching does work pretty well, but sometime I want to browse and not search.  
  • Can't add TIDAL songs to playlist (either native or TIDAL) - I drag it into the playlist but it doesn't show up.
  • When playing a playlist, and you add a song to the playlist, it will not play until stop the song, you exit out of the playlist (e.g. go to library) and then go back into the playlist.  Ideally it should 
  • At first, I was getting click sounds when switching from one TIDAL (MQA) song to another (e.g. playing track 9 and switch to track 1), but can't seem to duplicate that right now
  • Some minor UI issues - nothing big enough to mention now

That's what I found in my first 15 minutes of testing.  I am sure the DSD stuff can be eventually sorted out and I can deal with that - using native format instead of upsampling is fine.  Right now the lack of ability to create a custom album list (or even just have it by album artist/album) is a deal breaker for me - not sure if that sort of functionality exists in the Mac version, but it seems to me that is needed for a minimum viable product.

I hope my feedback helps.  I'll be happy to try any workarounds and also retry once some of these things are fixed.

6 hours ago, n2it said:

I am new user - I use Windows for playing audio - haven't ever tried the mac version.  I am pretty value focused and looking for something that doesn't cost year after year like Roon.  Also trying out TIDAL right now - free for 3 months, so wanted to see how this integrated - and also wanted to hear MQA first hand.  I currently use mostly foobar to listen with a topping NX4 DSD on latest Windows 10.  Foobar does DSD OK, but doesn't do a good job upsampling or anything complex.  I'd say this 1.0 version of Audirvana is not quite ready for primetime. 

DSD Upsampling:

• After switching from ASIO to WASAPI, I am now stuck in DOP mode (no option to change in ASIO audio screen).  It was sort of working at first.  Now I can't use DSD512 at all b/c it is stuck in DOP mode.  
  • When upsampling to DSD512 was working, when going from Flac (tried 44/16 and 176/24) to DSD - the DSD64 file was played fast.  Had to stop and start and then played normal.  When going from DSD64 file to flac - it played the flac really slow.  Doesn't happen at upsample to DSD256 or 128 but ...
  • If upsampling to DSD256 - there is a lot of noise before the track plays, if upsampling to DSD128, there are clicks.
  • WASAPI only showed support for DSD64 and forced me to use DOP.  Likewise ASIO mode does not seems to allow DOP (but that is not a big deal for me)
  • I was interested in trying upsampling - I am usually one for leaving it at the native sampling / format (call me a bit of a skeptic on upsampling), but wanted to try it and hoping for a better implementation  

Other issues or complaints:

• My music library is totally out of order.  I have multiple library directories so it seem to order artist by library and then name.  I would think it should be by artist name only.  Also no concept of grouping by album artist (that I can see ) - or anyway for me to create a custom grouping.  The searching does work pretty well, but sometime I want to browse and not search.  
  • Can't add TIDAL songs to playlist (either native or TIDAL) - I drag it into the playlist but it doesn't show up.
  • When playing a playlist, and you add a song to the playlist, it will not play until stop the song, you exit out of the playlist (e.g. go to library) and then go back into the playlist.  Ideally it should 
  • At first, I was getting click sounds when switching from one TIDAL (MQA) song to another (e.g. playing track 9 and switch to track 1), but can't seem to duplicate that right now
  • Some minor UI issues - nothing big enough to mention now

That's what I found in my first 15 minutes of testing.  I am sure the DSD stuff can be eventually sorted out and I can deal with that - using native format instead of upsampling is fine.  Right now the lack of ability to create a custom album list (or even just have it by album artist/album) is a deal breaker for me - not sure if that sort of functionality exists in the Mac version, but it seems to me that is needed for a minimum viable product.

I hope my feedback helps.  I'll be happy to try any workarounds and also retry once some of these things are fixed.

Thank you, I tried. My dac played well in wasapi mode too. But it is downgrade. So I need Asio mode.

A+ consume a lot of CPU power when upsampling to DSD, even in DSD64 mode. My core i5 6400 working at 90% most of time, and sound lagging.

It ok when upsampling PCM to 2x, 4x mode.

My computer has 12GB memory , win 10 64bit, SSD + harddrive, Oppo Sonica DAC.

I installed this today and I feel this is no where ready for release. 

I spent quite a while to get my library in order, correcting all my tags etc. If I use JRiver, MusicBee or Foobar2000, they will import my music perfectly. Audirvana is all over the place. I have artists that are randomly mixed with artists that don't start with the same letter.

The whole program just feels clunky and just plain buggy.

Anyhow, hope it gets ironed out. But if I can't get a trial later because it shows I have used one already, I doubt I will look at it again.

3 hours ago, Screwdriver said:

I installed this today and I feel this is no where ready for release. 

I spent quite a while to get my library in order, correcting all my tags etc. If I use JRiver, MusicBee or Foobar2000, they will import my music perfectly. Audirvana is all over the place. I have artists that are randomly mixed with artists that don't start with the same letter.

The whole program just feels clunky and just plain buggy.

Anyhow, hope it gets ironed out. But if I can't get a trial later because it shows I have used one already, I doubt I will look at it again.

Audirvana Plus is very good about adhering to standards for metadata, where other apps may be more forgiving or may follow iTunes (which A+ will do on the Mac, but...).  I personally like this because I know if it's good for A+ it's good for anything, but for many people it's a PITA. 

13 hours ago, Jud said:

Audirvana Plus is very good about adhering to standards for metadata, where other apps may be more forgiving or may follow iTunes (which A+ will do on the Mac, but...).  I personally like this because I know if it's good for A+ it's good for anything, but for many people it's a PITA. 

Well looking at the meta data in Audirvana shows nothing is wrong and the artists should order correctly. But, I found out what the problem is. My Music directory is located in two folders under Music. HiRes and Standard. Currently I am re-ripping my old low resolution MP3's to FLACs, deleting the old files and adding the new to the HiRes folder. Audirvana is looking in the first folder, and then the next....ordering the first, then ordering the next. Instead of ordering all files under the parent Music directory. No other audio player I have tried does it this way.

Just now, Screwdriver said:

Well looking at the meta data in Audirvana shows nothing is wrong and the artists should order correctly. But, I found out what the problem is. My Music directory is located in two folders under Music. HiRes and Standard. Currently I am re-ripping my old low resolution MP3's to FLACs, deleting the old files and adding the new to the HiRes folder. Audirvana is looking in the first folder, and then the next....ordering the first, then ordering the next. Instead of ordering all files under the parent Music directory. No other audio player I have tried does it this way.

Got it.

A+ for Windows clued me into the fact that I'd mis-numbered tracks in an album, duplicating the 18th track as #18 and #19, and coming out with a total of 21 tracks rather than 20. Everything else was happy to show me the tracks as I'd mis-numbered them, but A+ persisted in showing me two #18s and the last track as #20 until I recognized my error.  So the fact it is persnickety about the way it does metadata can be either a pain or a help, depending on the situation.