IGNORED

Budget UPnP/DLNA Renderer Suggestion?

Another possibility would be to buy a slightly more capable mini-PC such as this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX5F18414&cm_re=asus_vivomini-_-1VK-001S-000S5-_-Product; or, if you want something with a little more oomph, this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZX5F18689&cm_re=asus_vivomini-_-1VK-001S-000S6-_-Product; or if wanting something quite inexpensive, this: https://smile.amazon.com/Barebones-integrated-DisplayPort-BlueTooth-PN40-BB021M/dp/B07C66BNWH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536009728&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+vivomini

Then you could install the Linux of your choice, mpd, and upmpdcli, and with some configuration help from the folks here, you would have a UPnP/DLNA renderer.

The reason I like these mini-PCs is that I've personally found Intel chips to involve a little less fiddling with Linux than the ARM chips in the smallest ones.  I got one with an i5 chip because it was very inexpensive at the time ($200 with rebate) and I like the fact that installation of Linux and software goes very quickly with a somewhat more capable chip.  But a less expensive mini-PC with a Celeron should work fine too.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, rmel66 said:

I have indeed looked at upmpdcli with MPD. I believe I had tried it with one of my Linux boxes but could not get internet radio streams to work. Additionally, I was getting garble with higher resolution streams and uninstalled it.

The Wine layer is not a bother for me and this method has proven most reliable for me.

One small issue I have is the inability to get streaming to work over wifi. One of my renderers is successfully connected to wifi (internet, network shares etc) but just will not show up as a renderer with wifi. Additionally, if both ethernet and wifi are enabled then same problem. To get the renderer to show up I have to disable wifi and sometimes restart Foobar2000.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

rmel66.

I have a router by my system and have connected the renderer to the router by Ethernet cable.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.