IGNORED

Just ordered a balanced cable for my HD800, am I wasting my money?

I’ve been living quite happily with my HD800/HDVA600 headphone combo. 

But it to this day it’s been bugging me that the HDVD600 is build fully symmetrically and I’m only using the regular 6.3 cable that came with the HD800. 

As I felt like spending some money on my system right now I just ordered the Sennheiser HD800S balanced cable which Sennheiser sells for the pretty hefty amount of more than $300. 

I only have an unbalanced source, am I completely wasting my money here? 

In in any case I really much more like the look and feel of an XLR plug than the regular 6.3 jack so I’d get some psychological improvement even if sonically nothing much happens. 

What do people think?

44 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I changed quite expensive Nordost RCA cables to much cheaper Atlas balanced for connecting Dynaudio active speakers to very good and clear sonic improvement. Another huge improvement was caused by change of default Dynaudio power cables for better ones. In any case, wait for a couple of days at least before coming to conclusion, let your ears and brains adjust to the new cable.

Thanks. They should arrive early next week. I’ll report back. 

26 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

I have the HD800S/HDVA600 combo. As you know the HD800S comes with both the 6.3mm and balanced cables.

I could discern no difference between the two.

I then decided to make my own shorter balanced cable using the best connectors (furutech) and wire (also furutech) and Cardas soldier. The tiny connectors at the headphone side are a bear to soldier. I have an resistance soldier station with fine needle tips which is the only way to realistically do this kind of work. 

The difference between the Sennheiser cable and my own was negligible - probably expectation bias. But I now have a 6ft cable with very cool connectors. ?

Thanks. I was kind of afraid to hear that. I probably just spent $300 for a nicer set of connectors...

just to clarify: do you have a balanced or unbalanced source?

Quick update: I just received notice that the cable was finally posted last Friday (my dealer isn’t the fastest) and I should receive it next week. 

I‘m still curious to see if I keep it. I can send it back during two weeks for a 10% restocking fee so worst case the experiment wasn’t too expensive. 

I‘m quite afraid I won’t hear much of a difference, but somehow would love to have the XLR plugs. 

Just now, jabbr said:

Just has to do with the market. Really high quality XLR jacks are dirt cheap because of the large market ... no go looking for a 4 pin Lemo connector which is another great smaller diameter plug for which you would need a Lemo amp out so unless custom not too useful, but goes to show the cost ... and for the Senn you are paying for the headphone side connectors and then the labor to make the cable (assuming you don't DIY) and then profit and the price really isn't terrible.

I guess the cheapest way to go would be to cut the plug off your single ended HD800 cable and attach the XLR ... so, the savings of DIY...

The last time I used a soldering iron was at the age of 17. Not sure I'd want to repeat that experience. 

And anyway, without having done a proper A/B, I still feel having used the HD800 quite a bit since I swapped the cable that the thing sounds better than ever. Probably a delusion, but who cares as long as I'm happy with the results.