IGNORED

Hearing is not simple

I can totally agree with you in latest brain research findings. As far as science nows there is much more to discover then we ever thought and music is a total experience, not only with your ears. We know, that even deaf people can experience music with their bodies. That is all common sense by now.

Your words help understanding different options and controversial discussions on how hardware "sounds", especially loudspeakers and certain tweaks: What we believe about this and that is anything but the "truth" but it is all about ourselves, a total reflection of the way we are as each and every individual. That is the true reason why people get emotional about this stuff, it touches their personality.

Producers goal is to find out commonalities amongst the majority of all customers and their customers to expand their customer base: If many people like it, it is good, it can be sold. But at the same moment it is not true with regards to "this is also the best sound of all" because there are many other music enthusiasts who will not agree.

I am also into Computer stuff in general. If someone has a technical problem as something isn't working quite the way it should be according to specs, then there is a clear technical solution to be found. Can be exhausting, but from a complexity level it is a trivial task: Find the one who solved the problem, probe his solution and be happy.

That does not at all apply to the quality of sound reproduction: 

In music and the Computer-Audio cross over all non-strictly-technical issues are down to personal taste and that makes this forum so entertaining and fun.

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

On 5/30/2018 at 11:31 AM, Axial said:

Can human fine-tune his own hearing, ears, canals, mind, brain, to accommodate the music that his playing, no matter what the source, the reproduction system, the resolution it was recorded @, to a higher nirvana hearing? 

First, we must eliminate as many of the things that our brain simply cannot accept -- like a voice or instrument moving around as it changes pitch, a transient that simply doesn't have enough "snap" to seem real, a wavering in pitch.  When we fix these we discover that systems that don't meet "specification" on overall frequency response, or harmonic distortion or other easier to measure and therefore more commonly quoted specifications can sound far more real than those with the [best] specs in the areas where we most commonly get published specs. 

So, I think it is less about fine-tuning our brain and more about learning which aspects of sound reproduction we are more/less sensitive to.  The problem is that, if I had to guess, it turns out that different people are sensitive to different things, therefore the stuff that matters to your brain, may not matter to mine, or at least not as much.  Given our own human hearing and processing equipment, we each focus on different sound qualities to tell our brains what is and isn't real. 

But, we can each learn what we are sensitive to and fine tune our equipment purchases to highlight the specifications that we hear as real.   

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

10 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

But, we can each learn what we are sensitive to and fine tune our equipment purchases to highlight the specifications that we hear as real.   

...and only that. Well said!

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus