IGNORED

AlbumArtist - tag field

10 hours ago, Music Matters said:

How to separate multiple artists  in AlbumArtist tag field, so that JRiver and Roon can indentiy each of them in

the search function?

You use a semicolon to separate entries in JRiver.

You didn't ask, but I'll tell you what I do.  I use AlbumArtist as the main artist for an album.  I use Artist for the various performers or track specific artists.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Re JRiver

Most albums have a single artist with all of the tracks on that album by the one artist. MC automatically groups these tracks into an album displayed under the one thumbnail picture.

Compilation albums have multiple artists and in standard view schemes MC will list albums multiple times, once for every different artist's name on the compilation album. Thus multiple representations of the same album.

So, to group tracks that all have the same [album name] together to appear as one album under the one thumbnail pic, MC uses either the [Album Artist] field or [Album Artist (Auto)] field.

If [Album Artist] field is typed in manually that value is automatically entered into the [Album Artist (auto)] field as well. Each individual track will still have its own respective artist but all tracks will be grouped as the one album.

[Album Artist (Auto)]  is a built-in field which auto-completes if the [Album Artist] field is left empty…..but,

o   All tracks must have the same [Album] field value

o   If all tracks have the same[Artist] then it uses that artist.

o   If there are more than one artist it uses the default of "(Multiple Artists)"…, in order for (Multiple Artists) to appear automatically the album must be in its own exclusive directory and contain only audio files.

NB You can put whatever you want into [Album Artist] and MC will use that. Call it "My Compilation", "Best of 80's", whatever. This will display your compilations by what you called them mixed with, in alphabetical order, regular albums.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

17 minutes ago, Music Matters said:

I never thought that is possible to have more than one albumartist field, but If it works for me it is fine, I will give it a try. Thanks...

sorry, I may have misunderstood your question.Typically people want to know how to stop MC from listing individual artists for one album in the "artist" library view

Yes, simply placing a  ;   between artists allows you to nominate as many individual artists listed in the artist library view as you want.

I use this function to indicate cover versions for example. So, you could list [artist1;Beatles Cover]. Every artist that has covered the Beatles, and you have tagged as such, ends up showing in the folder next to the Beatles (but only in the artists library view).

Sound Minds Mind Sound

6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

sorry, I may have misunderstood your question.Typically people want to know how to stop MC from listing individual artists for one album in the "artist" library view

Yes, simply placing a  ;   between artists allows you to nominate as many individual artists listed in the artist library view as you want.

I use this function to indicate cover versions for example. So, you could list [artist1;Beatles Cover]. Every artist that has covered the Beatles, and you have tagged as such, ends up showing in the folder next to the Beatles (but only in the artists library view).

No problem, I just want to be sure that I do it for both JRiver and Roon, because in the future I will probably also use Roon, so I don't want to do it twice.

7 hours ago, Music Matters said:

I never thought that is possible to have more than one albumartist field, but If it works for me it is fine, I will give it a try. Thanks...

How did it go? In this world, what's "possible" (i.e. specified) quickly deteriorates to de facto rules. So in reality: it depends on your music player.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

FLAC should support multiple fields of the same name (they normally use Vorbis comments underneath) and is the advisable way to do it, all things being equal.

However, all things _aren't_ equal and it sounds like what we have here is a case where your tagging schema has to match what your players/other software dictates.

bliss - fully automated music organizer. Read the music library management blog.

• 2 months later...

In Flac multiple values can be stored as either

ALBUMARTIST=artist1;artist2

or

ALBUMARTIST=artist1

ALBUMARTIST=artist2

Other formats use different ways to do this, for example for MP3 you store multiple values as null terminated

e.e TALB:artist1\0artist2

If the tag editor does provide a way to store multiple values then it needs to offer a consistent way for the user to enter multiple values for different formats, this doesn't necessarily  match what is actually stored in the files when they are saved.

I recommend you either use a different tag editor that displays multiple values(such as my own Jaikoz ) to see if they are stored as multiple values, or alternatively use a hex editor (I use Ultraedit) and search for the text to see how they are stored.

Indie software developer of Jaikoz and SongKong taggers and the opensrc tagging library jaudiotagger