IGNORED

Basic Music Server 101 Question

My current desktop set-up consists of an Asus PC (Windows 10, Intel M3 core processor, 8 GB RAM, SSD) running JRiver21 and connected via USB to a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.  Music files are stored on a Western Digital MyCloud NAS and accessed via WiFi and I also steam Spotify. 

I am thinking of getting a Sonore UltraRendu to feed my Schiit DAC using Roon as my music playback software with the music files still stored on the Western Digital MyCloud NAS.  I am planning on running Roon on my Asus PC which, while the M3 processor is not the fastest, it does have plenty of RAM and a SSD.  I guess in the current computeraudiophile parlance, my PC would act as the Music Server in as much as it would host and run what Roon calls the Core.  

Am I suffering any significant decrease in sound quality by using my Asus PC in this manner as the music server and having it connected to the network via Wifi?  

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Not sure this will work as the UltraRendu needs to be connected to your network via an Ethernet cable. Your PC can serve as the Roon core and it does not need to be near your stereo or the ultraRendu, just connected to the network. As mentioned, the ultraRendu needs to be connected to your network and serves as the Roon endpoint. The sound quality will probably be better than what you currently have as the ultraRendu has much better SQ than a standard PC. For best results, everything should be wired into your network. Some people have used WiFi to Ethernet adapters but I don't think they are always reliable.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond