IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

On 5/17/2018 at 1:53 PM, Brinkman Ship said:

I did not mean that Tidal or any streaming service controls your content, but if they disappear, or change the terms, or exclude certain artists, your library disappears or is severely impacted. Not for me.

There you go. And this applies to movies as well. Soooo many people hypnotized by convenience technology, they don't stop to think about the finite nature of rights, licensing, and yes, service. I am slowly stockpiling CDs because they cost only a few bucks now. Soon they will go through a resurgence, especially as titles go out of print or licensed to a specific service. We all know how this story goes, but we whistle past the graveyard.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, sdolezalek said:

To my mind, the streaming companies are leaving revenue on the table because, so far, their investors haven't forced them to be profitable.  They are pursuing the early Amazon model: control the market, be willing to lose on every sale. Then, when you have them hooked and the competition is gone, increase prices slowly to become profitable...

Really? I thought the model was to get enough subscribers and a brand presence large enough to get bought out for $$$$.

Just now, Blake said:

If Tidal goes belly up, I have other options to rent my music through streaming services.  If streaming services are no longer available, you can always purchase the music via downloads. 

That's a whole lot of assumptions in those two sentences. Your music may not be my music.

Just now, Blake said:

I

A whole lot of assumptions on your part as well.  

Wha? That doesn't even...

Look. Metallica is not on Tidal. So I can't listen to Metallica lossless there. I can't listen to them lossless on Google. Deezer? Maybe, haven't checked. People talk about Tidal, but Deezer's not looking very reliable either financing-wise. So I can 'just download' them from magic ether place where all things wait for me, right? Where is that?... Oh, the Metallica website.  Hmmm, my options sure seem to be thinning... but then, websites last forever, right?

And that's just Metallica.

And where can I stream the movie Truly, Madly, Deeply? Oh, right. I can't. I can pay $130 for the DVD though.

I feel like I'm on head-fi.