IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

I know it's a lot of "IFs", and maybe it doesn't make sense for AMZN to buy tidal, but i was the owner, i would....it certainly would be widely accepted and be easier than marketing amazon music services, or trying to fix amazon music services to compete with tidal....think of the publicity alone it would draw. 

Amazon Music Unlimited already is quite a bit larger than Tidal.  Most people just stream on their phones so i don't think Roon is a big deal to these services.  I'm not saying that it couldn't happen but I don't see where Tidal would be very attractive to them.  Maybe they will pick at the bones like Pandora did with Rdio.

2 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I will be honest with you, Tidal appeals MOST to those who have not invested in a digital library. 

I get the impression that many saw Tidal as a way to get into computer audio on the cheap..but like all things too good to be true...

I cannot imagine a large, carefully curated local library. But that is just me.  Tidal and similar are like water..and water can evaporate when conditions change.

It is not a big deal to switch from one service to another if you just listen to albums.  I've done it twice now MOG to Rdio to Deezer.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

The sad fact is that for the vast majority, Spotify lossy compression is perfectly good enough. They simply don't care.

I think the only way to get more subscribers to the "hifi" tier is to offer additional perks, like a few free/discounted downloads or vinyl copies, or concert discounts, or whatever.

The other way would be to limit what you get for $10/mo, e.g. limited number of streams or limited number of playing devices.  But I can't see that flying now that so many are used to the way it is.

29 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Because when you buy into a rental economy, and your content has been given to you for an unsustainable price, it can be a bummer if that goes away. Not investing in a local digital library buy ripping purchased CDs and not buying downloads is a mistake I think many made. 

I can't see it as a mistake.  You can always buy any music that you lose access to.  Anyway it's hard to imagine all the services going away.  And  $10/mo or $20/mo doesn't really register in my family budget - health insurance is $1700/mo - and that's for a crummy bronze plan!

17 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

That's the easy and obvious part. So yes, BUT...  How about also offering me subscriptions to different genres.  I might only want Jazz and Classical and be willing to pay 75% of what I pay for everything just for those two categories.  How much is Tidal paying others by giving me access to the whole catalog when I only use a bit of it?  How about charging me for the total number of files I have "favorited" so they show up in Roon?  Why should someone with 2,000 files pay the same as someone with 500 files? 

Put differently, if Tidal was $100 per month and these "lesser" choices were available for $50, $25 or $15/month, wouldn't you want that choice?  To my mind, the streaming companies are leaving revenue on the table because, so far, their investors haven't forced them to be profitable.  They are pursuing the early Amazon model: control the market, be willing to lose on every sale. Then, when you have them hooked and the competition is gone, increase prices slowly to become profitable...

It would complicate payouts since then there would be different subscription pools.  Then if payouts were from various pools instead of a single pool agreements would have to be renegotiated.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

When the greedy labels agree to a licensing deal, presumably.

Maybe.  But it seems to me that part of the problem is that the services want to pretend that the pound is the same thing as a dollar is the same thing as a euro.  Why does the same service cost 10 CAD and 10 GBP?

1 minute ago, left channel said:

They've been offering a FLAC service to some users for at least a few months now. As far as I know it's still in a testing phase and you have to be invited.

Interesting.  I can imagine that if Spotify goes there, then the other large services might feel compelled to keep up with them.

24 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Spotify has been testing the market for CD quality streaming. There is a lot of price resistance. Even at $15 per month people won't buy in. And I must point out that Tidal is showing us there isn't a market for CD quality streaming. 

I wonder how many or what percentage hifi subscriptions they need to make it worthwhile, assuming $20/mo.  It doesn't seem like the extra overhead would be that great for adding a hifi tier.