IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Well if Roon is or becomes #1 for music player and if Roon subscribers love Tidal, and Tidal plays well with ROON, it seems Tidal has value.  It also seems that most network players support Tidal.  I also believe network players is the way of the future.

I know it's a lot of "IFs", and maybe it doesn't make sense for AMZN to buy tidal, but i was the owner, i would....it certainly would be widely accepted and be easier than marketing amazon music services, or trying to fix amazon music services to compete with tidal....think of the publicity alone it would draw. 

I am pretty smart, and if I say it's a good idea, it probably is....(grin).

Bottom line, if amzn bought tidal, i would probably subscribe, and I am CHEAP.

Besides, then i could get alexa working with ROON. (smile)

It's just a matter of time before amzn wins the music streaming business....or should anyway....let's see how smart or not they are.

Hell, if talk like this can spread to the ROON message boards, and if AMZN has their ears open at all, one smart employee can make it all happen by a simple suggestion....if google doesn't beat them to it.

Tidal doesn't have enough subscribers to be widely accepted. Those who speculated Tidal had less than a million paying subscribers early last summer were probably right based on a Universal Royalty Statement I downloaded today.  And you will be very disappointed with number of subscribers to the HIFI tier less than 170k.

6 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Speak for yourself. I am a lifetime Roon subscriber and quite happy with what I am getting for my money.

Oh, you don't *need* dedicated server hardware. But I do prefer it that way. My iMac was the Roon Core for quite a while and performed that task flawlessly while used as my main computer.

How happy are you going to be without Tidal?

Just now, diecaster said:

Certainly not as happy. If Tidal went out of business, Roon would be forced to partner with another service. Roon is way more than just a front end to Tidal....

But remember the issues they have with other streaming services. And all the major labels are on record as saying they want to do something similar to Roon.

1 minute ago, beerandmusic said:

I didn't even know that could be a serious question....are you suggesting that a large percentage of roon subscribers are roon subscribers mainly because of its integration with tidal?  If so, i don't doubt it, that thought just never occurred to me.

One I've been thinking about since I started following Tidal's troubles in Norway where they are located and their third largest market behind the United States and Poland. In 2017 Norway Today reported taxes owed that could only be payroll or property taxes. There has been a steady drip of troubling financial information since especially around vendor and royalty payments. There are reports Norway's Economic Crimes Unit has been asked to investigate. 

I've listened carefully to the marketing of Roon it always involves Tidal.

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

no..i think reports of their demise are...well.. you know,

they are not folding, if that happens it will be well down the road..

Police investigations in Norway, audits in Denmark, violating contracts with labels, not paying bills and no cash. Sounds like blueprint for Tidal to close up shop to me.

Just now, Em2016 said:

That's because it's the only music streaming service integrated with Roon.

It's no secret on the Roon forums that Roon have approached and continue to approach other streaming services for integration. Some have flat out rejected Roon in the past (Spotify) and others continue to be in discussions but nothing more than discussions has been confirmed, for now.

So what are they going to do? What is plan b or c when everybody knows you have to make a deal?

2 hours ago, psjug said:

Interesting.  I can imagine that if Spotify goes there, then the other large services might feel compelled to keep up with them.

Spotify has been testing the market for CD quality streaming. There is a lot of price resistance. Even at $15 per month people won't buy in. And I must point out that Tidal is showing us there isn't a market for CD quality streaming. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, left channel said:

They now claim "130,000 albums (about 2 million tracks) in high resolution". Last year it was 1 million Hi-Res tracks. The 40 million figure for CD-quality tracks is still current. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Last time I checked, Tidal also offered about 40 million tracks in CD-quality, but only a bit over 100,000 "Masters" tracks.

I'm certainly going to ask questions about the actual numbers of CD quality and Hi-Res tracks. Whether the Hi-Res are real is another question.

Just now, SuperAudioBlackHole said:

Unfortuantely I suspect Spotify will eventually be the only player left in the game, which would be awful. Not just because the audio quality of Spotify (even the high quality streams) is AWFULl!!

Unlikely Apple Music is bigger in the United States and has deeper pockets. Not to mention Alphabet.

I've never heard a complaint about Spotify sound quality on a golf course.