IGNORED

Splitting large files

Have recently ripped a number of Blurays (using Chris' instructions . . . thanks very much for that), I find myself needing a tutorial on how to efficiently find points between tracks and split them (all FLAC files).

1. What's the fastest way to find the exact point between tracks (assuming I don't have track times handy)?

2. What's the easiest/fastest software to use for editing?

3. Extra credit for instructions on how to accomplish the task with the suggested software.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joel

I found a short guide here:

http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20060827_how_to_make_a_cue_file_or_cue_sheet.html

Unfortunately you will need to work out track times, either by listening and taking notes, or (possibly) searching online for a track listing that has times.

Once you have the cue file, if you're using a mac then a program like sbooth's Max will split your flac into tracks using the info from this file.

Hope this helps a little: I suspect it will be easier than loading the entire file into editing software.

If the files are 24/96 or lower (don't think it supports 24/192) you could use Audacity (open source download).

Within Audacity is a "find silence" function which should help find the track gaps - it's still going to be a pretty manual task though.

Not sure how the BluRay extraction works - but is there no way to extract individual chapters from the BluRay which (at least in DVD concerts I have) tend to be individual tracks.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for your replies souptin and Eloise.

Eloise, per Chris' excellent article below, I learned and subsequently have seen that the Bluray rips usually come out as a few (large) FLAC files.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/How-Rip-High-Resolution-Blu-ray-Audio

The good news is that it's possible to get high resolution audio tracks off of Bluray discs.

The not-as-good news is that in cases like Tom Petty's Live Anthology, you can get a Bluray disc with 65 tracks!!

Not what you'd call a quick editing project.

In the case of DVD rips, you're right. The FLAC files are created as individual tracks.

Joel