IGNORED

Antelope Zodiac + Arrived

Here's a shot of my supply:

[*]hQN8Hl.jpg

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Yeah, thats the same one I have. So far I have seen two different versions. My Welborne beefy one should be here today or tomorrow hopefully. :D

system: Core i7 (4.0ghz oc\'ed), 12gb ram, SSD, 3 Terabytes sata 6.0, blu-ray burner, apple cinema 30 & Wacom Cintiq 21ux.[br]audio chain: Computer -> firewire -> Saffire Pro 24 dsp -> Wireworld Coax -> Audio-gd Reference 5 DF -> Norse Audio up-occ XLR -> Violectric HPA v181/Antelope Audio Zodiac+ -> KRK Rokit rp-8 g2 / Audeze LCD-2

Tigz - I'd like to hear what you think of the Z+ via USB as opposed to clocking it to your Sapphire.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Yes I have been meaning to compare USB to SPDIF. I will probably get around to doing this more intently this weekend (have been quite busy lately).

On another note, I also received my Welborne Labs custom power supply for my Zodiac+ today. It is very nice build quality, with a sleek looking black anodized aluminum chasis. I worked with them to get the plug to be just like the one that comes stock with the Zodiac+ (screw housing). It ended up working out nicely, they did a great job. I also chose the shorter umbilical option to connect the power supply unit to the Zodiac+, and am currently using just a Wireworld power cord to the Welborne.

system: Core i7 (4.0ghz oc\'ed), 12gb ram, SSD, 3 Terabytes sata 6.0, blu-ray burner, apple cinema 30 & Wacom Cintiq 21ux.[br]audio chain: Computer -> firewire -> Saffire Pro 24 dsp -> Wireworld Coax -> Audio-gd Reference 5 DF -> Norse Audio up-occ XLR -> Violectric HPA v181/Antelope Audio Zodiac+ -> KRK Rokit rp-8 g2 / Audeze LCD-2

I listened to the Z+ direct to my Mini-Torii. I have no idea what the impedances are on each unit, but it sounds really good.

I think I am selling my tubed preamp.

Interesting thing: with USB the Z+ is sort of in a dormant state. The "active" flashes as it should, and I get major ground loop noise...UNTIL I actively send a signal to it. Then it's dead quiet. With AES I had gotten "thrown" by this and had floated the ground on the power supply. It's just dead quiet when the USB kicks in and the DAC locks to the sample rate, when playback is stopped the noise kicks on.

I have an AF1 coming mainly for digital vinyl playback and will be clocking everything to my ADC, so I will test AES with the AF1 vs. Z+ USB implementation.

I'm really enjoying having the independent headphone amp too, it's really useful to show people how unique the performance of my headphones are compared to the speakers. And, I don't need a dedicated headamp for late night listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Gold w/ PSU:

[*]3yG52l.jpg

My understanding is the PSU is optional in Europe, but bundled in the USA. Due at Xmas but PSU delayed till mid-Jan in USA.

The PSU is a "3-stage linear power supply" dubbed "Voltikus" and can be bought alone for $700.

Read that where this picture is hosted. Shot of the remote.

ZodiacGold-Opener.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've seen it spelt both ways now, but the Antelope PSU is suitable for use with the Plus or the Gold. If bought with the Gold, it's discounted as a bundle deal. We should be seeing them in mid-January.

Inevitably, given the price drop of both models, the question will arise: “Is the Zodiac Plus powered by the Volticus better than the Zodiac Gold on the standard supply?”

Curse those many options!

I get it! Very funny.

After evaluating the Plus DAC I would love to hear it with a better PS. Could be a real winner, adding a little more heft to the presentation.

Antelope dropped its minimum advertised price considerably for 2011 - at least here in the UK, where the lowest advertised price up until very recently has been £2295. It's now £1895.

The Gold (minus Volticus voltici volticum) is almost the same price as the Plus when it launched. I'd be surprised if any Gold DACs land on customers' doormats this year - over here, at least!

The PSU should fix the conspicuous absence of low end presence in the stock unit: here's hoping that the Antelope unit will outperform the 18V supplies we've been playing with. And it will be very interesting to hear the Gold, with its all-new analog output stage.

I don't work with a dealer, I'm the Director of Sales & Marketing for Antelope for N. America.

We've never changed pricing in the US on Zodiac Plus, which is what I think you're referring to. I'm not sure what occurred for the UK, but we do have a recently new International Sales Manager, who may have adjusted things for the UK.

Gold is indeed shipping, but only the pre-paid orders first. They are indeed going to hit some doormats this year. I have a couple of the first units here, btw, which I've been testing. :)

The new Voltikus does add some low end heft. It's nice across the spectrum and now competes with DAC's costing twice the price with lesser features in many cases.

Best Regards,

Marcel

The UK price seems to have been brought in line with the US price, which is a pleasant development: for several months after launch, the MAPs of the Zodiac across Europe were close to the current price of the Gold.

Looks like the first Golds buzzed right over our heads en-route from Bulgaria to America...

Oh no, lol. In fact the first customers are world-wide prepaid customers. No customers in the US have received them yet. The only reason I got them was to test and demo at the AES Show last month here.

Don't be so skeptical. :-) We want all regions to be happy.

Best Regards,

Marcel

Aw - you know the score re: pricing for Europe: we're pathetically grateful to approach parity. Remember the Adobe software furore?

Q: “Why is Photoshop 40% more expensive in Europe than the US?”

A: “Because of language and localisation costs”

Q: “But in England we speak English. And the UK version remains American”

A: “Ah. Well, it's about competition with the local market, then.”

Q: “You mean: Photoshop is deliberately overpriced by 40% because many other imported products are too?”

A: “Er, yes.”

Hey guys,

I just met with our very excellent rep, Marcel, in New York last week, and I mentioned the mini-B thing was a pain for those wanting to use high-end USB cables. (For those who think good USB cables don't matter, think again. We certainly feel they do, and I believe many others would agree.)

The good news is that the Zodiac Gold employs a regular USB terminal, not the mini-B ... So if you want to use the thicker ones from Locus or others, you can with the Gold.

If anyone is interested, we'll be taking delivery of the Gold Units in New York soon, and anyone should feel free to come by for a listen -- even if just for curiosity's sake.

Sanjay Patel | Ciamara Corporation | New York, NY | www.ciamara.com

Hi Sanjay!

I can't wait to get mine in, especially when the Voltikus arrives in January.

Good news on the full size USB B input! The specs still say mini B, thanks for the heads up.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

I think Lee is probably referencing the manual available on the Antelope website. As far as I can tell, there is currently a Zodiac Plus manual available for download on the Antelope Audio website, and that, of course, shows a mini-B connector.

Sanjay Patel | Ciamara Corporation | New York, NY | www.ciamara.com