IGNORED

Antelope Zodiac + Arrived

What about when using USB? Still automatic sample rate changes?

This a very important function for the people using USB only & listening mixed sample rate playlists.

M2Tech Young DAC - Graham Slee Solo SRGII - PSU1 Power Supply - Grado GS 1000i

I was running WASAPI via USB and I had tried JRMC with resampling and no resampling; I will double check tonight.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Hi, I just found this site and I am very new to the subject of computer audio. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask my question here. What is the Zodiac Gold DAC going to offer over the Plus. I see it goes up to 384kHz. What does this mean from a practical viewpoint? Will it only work with a MAC? Thanks.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Hi, I just found this site and I am very new to the subject of computer audio. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would ask my question here. What is the Zodiac Gold DAC going to offer over the Plus. I see it goes up to 384kHz. What does this mean from a practical viewpoint? Will it only work with a MAC? Thanks.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Any more comments on how it is sounding in your system, in comparison to some of the best you have tested in the past in your system?

Thanks.

system: Core i7 (4.0ghz oc\'ed), 12gb ram, SSD, 3 Terabytes sata 6.0, blu-ray burner, apple cinema 30 & Wacom Cintiq 21ux.[br]audio chain: Computer -> firewire -> Saffire Pro 24 dsp -> Wireworld Coax -> Audio-gd Reference 5 DF -> Norse Audio up-occ XLR -> Violectric HPA v181/Antelope Audio Zodiac+ -> KRK Rokit rp-8 g2 / Audeze LCD-2

IIRC, it will have a remote control and gold stepped attenuator which will be more accurate. The Zodiac + volume control can't always land on the same value. Marcel told me they did not want to sacrifice quality, so I guess it is an analog control with an LED readout. It is not like what Lavry does; "digitally controlled ANALOG volume circuitry".

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I am still curious how they managed to squeeze out above 24bit/96kHz resolution with native Windows drivers.

Or does it take the incoming signal and upsample to 24/192?

There are lot of missing and confusing info lately with most of the new DACs' coming to the market!!

I still have yet to find any true reviews of how it sounds with nice systems.

system: Core i7 (4.0ghz oc\'ed), 12gb ram, SSD, 3 Terabytes sata 6.0, blu-ray burner, apple cinema 30 & Wacom Cintiq 21ux.[br]audio chain: Computer -> firewire -> Saffire Pro 24 dsp -> Wireworld Coax -> Audio-gd Reference 5 DF -> Norse Audio up-occ XLR -> Violectric HPA v181/Antelope Audio Zodiac+ -> KRK Rokit rp-8 g2 / Audeze LCD-2

Didn't realise there was so much interest in the dac. :)

Chris: I believe my tests were done just using windows media player - am not sure what output mode. I will pose this question to the owner when I next meet him. I am currently waiting for the dac to be more run in before I go back to hear for a 2nd time.

Here are some of my opinions/answers to the rest:

1. The tests were done on usb and able to show 24/192 or 176 for the relevant file. I wouldn't know about the upsampling but it is detecting the correct bitrate for sure.

The sample rate changes automatically. However, I do note that the owner did play each file in isolation (no playlist), so not sure if that affects anything.

I took it that it was working as it is, and did not question any further.

2. How it sounds - like I mentioned, I have a hard time doing a fair comparison to the dac due to the usb cable and adapter issue. The owner's previous dac was a benchmark dac-1 pre, and the sound character is quite different. Let's take this as a base line. I'll list some impressions which I hope helps some.

In my listening session the Zodiac+ does feel open sounding and presence is fine.. tonally sounds rather neutral. I feel the benchmark does have its own sound, hence the difference. The owner was not quite used to the Zodiac in the system so had to take awhile to adjust (or more tweaking to come).

Overall, those present felt the benchmark is more precise of the two for 16/44.1 (all-around and especially in bass) - albeit being brighter - and that there is less dynamics from the Zodiac. Generally it is felt that the Zodiac has a more forgiving type of sound and may match more systems.

But as I mentioned, it's not a fair comparison as the benchmark ran on a Locus usb and ESP power cord (we hooked this to the Zodiac adapter) which in total made the 'benchmark setup' cost more than the Zodiac.

Where the Zodiac impressed me more was on hi-res files where it really had a significant improvement in SQ, and this should be the reason why you would want to buy one.

For 16/44, I would put it in the same class as others of similar price range really.. such as the Naim DAC. Not a significant upgrade (if at all) from DACs like the w4s or benchmark, but offering more features - especially on the hi-res front which may be worth it to some.

Having said that though, when the Locus usb adapter (my friend sent a request for one) arrives, a better power adapter comes, and the Zodiac is more run-in.. maybe all thse impressions could be moot. Hence, final impressions remain to be confirmed. I can only imagine the Zodiac sounding better once we solve these issues due to the Zodiac's oddities and are able to perform a more proper comparison.

Hi Guys,

I'm going to go over some of the things discussed here and try to answer more of these questions soon.

But, first off, I have to disagree with Quest on his description of the Zodiac + sound. We've done extensive A/B testing of the Zodiac vs. other Dacs and you're absolutely the first to describe it as "forgiving" and some of the other things you said. It's way more commonly described as "detailed" with more accurate focus of the individual instruments as hifitubes mentions with his comments.

The volume knob we used is to my knowledge aluminum and of high quality. We give an accurate digital reading of the output level, but the actual pot is analog, which accounts for the numbers moving around a bit. The sound of the attenuator is extremely clean. In fact, the TDH of the unit is measuring at .0004%, which is as low or lower as you'll find anyway in a DAC.

I just finished showing the Zodiac + at CanJam in Chicago and those who listened seemed generally very impressed. In fact, Craig of Whiplash bough one immediately after hearing it. I very much liked his USB mini cable and recommend it.

I will work to clarify some of the confusion about the USB modes soon.

Marcel James

Antelope Audio USA

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the explanations. As we have found an expert, I have two quick questions:

1. Is Zodiac+ an upsampling DAC or does it take the file and converts it without altering the sample rate or bit debt.

2. When listening from a playlist (lets say from Foobar with USB) with mixed sample rate, does it recognize the change and automatically adjust the DAC sample rate.

Thanks

1. the Zodiac + doesn't upsample. Yes, it converts without altering the sample rate or bits.

2. The Zodiac + does auto-rate switch. But, doing so via USB depends on the software application playing the audio. I know it works fine with Amarra on the Mac. I'll have to talk to our european office to find out about the PC. But, on the digital inputs, the rate switching also works fine.

Marcel James

Antelope Audio USA

Setting JRMC to no-resampling works fine with the Zodiac accepting any sample rate that is sent to it, via USB or AES/EBU (which is what I have tried so far).

Furutech also has a USB-A mini cable at parts connexion:

http://www.avguide.com/article/news-furutech-announces-audiophile-grade-usb-20-and-30-cables

Thanks for that hifitubes. USB-A is pretty rare and hope that will be of use to someone, but my opinion is that an adapter is more worthy. it will be hard to do AB testing.. and abit costly to have to own several different expensive usb cables, where almost all othe dacs use the standard. :) 1 of my friend owns a locus usb cable that costs US$2.5k.. i didn't even know it goes up to that cost.

Marcel, thanks and glad you could join in the discussion and provide much needed feedback. As to your comments about the Zodiac+.. well, I do agree it is detailed, but this is a comparison to other DACs, plus I guess we all have different ears and equipment.

Nonetheless, I did give caveats for my impressions so let's see what happens in a few weeks when I revisit it. hifitubes' comparison above was to a Matrix-i so no surprises the Zodiac+ is better.

I may have a chance to compare it to some other DACs next week; one Benchmark DAC1 for sure.

Based on Craig's (Whiplash Audio, we are good friends) comments about the Zodiac, I am going to arrange to try one. If I like it, I will design a couple of cables with mini-B connectors to got with it, and probably start offering the Zodiac to my customers. The mini B connector is a b&*^h to work with, but I will figure something out.

In the meantime, if someone needs a B to mini-B adapter that I've found that seems to compromise the sound the least, contact me, and I'll get one out to you for no charge, just pay for the shipping.

Peace,

Lee

Locus Design Group[br]www.locus-design.com[br]www.cryo-parts.com[br]www.cryo-freeze.com

Okay, you want the official word.

I'd like to know:

Output impedance

Output level (Vrms)

Created a sine wave at 0dbfs (1 kHz) in Wavelab.

Zodiac+ at max volume is 2Vrms. I only had time to check one channel.

I have received also one Zodiac+ for my 2nd computer based system and it is very good especially in detail soundstage depth attack speed frm my previous Weiss dac2.

The combination of detail freshness and no harsness is remarkable.

I've been told that outboard psu brings even better sound and willing to try.

!

I think I'm ordering a psu from England. Paul Hynes SR3-18.

"My standard SR3-18 will provide 18 volts @ 2 amps continuously for you DAC. The SR3 is being used with a variety of digital products like the Empirical Audio Overdrive, OffRamp, PaceCar, the Altmann Attraction, Metric Halo ULN2, Weiss etc. The SR3-18 would cost £270 and the matching DC3C high performance lead would cost £35. Insured carriage and packing at cost."

I have tested WASAPI and Lynx ASIO, the Zodiac+ responds to and locks to any sample rate I throw at it. It never loses sync whatsoever which I'm very happy about obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the modded Microclock that BLA was so generous to offer in trade for some goodies, and it won't sync to the ZodiAC+.

The clock syncs fine with my Lynx AES16 & my Mytek ADC 192. Tried various cables and outputs on the clock. When I use the Mytek as a master word clock, the Zodiac syncs to it, just won't sync with BLA clock.

??????????????????????????????????????