IGNORED

AppleTV as Music Server?

Hi folks,

For those interested in external hard drive solutions for ATV

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5999

Looks great, but unfortunately I do not have enough experience to do it myself :-)

BTW - If using wired connection to Mac Pro and not WiFi - will the AIFF files from iTunes library still be first compressed to Apple lossless, then streamed to ATV, then decompressed and played (like in WiFi mode)? This question is not to launch the discussion about sound difference between AIFF and lossless :-) but just to get clearance for myself and understanding.

Vassili

I have a question about the functioning of the aTV. My library is way to large to be internal to the aTV and I have no interest in picking a "core" to reside locally on it. Library right now is on two USB drives on an Airport Extreme.

If I used aTV in this context, is it any different from streaming from a laptop to an airport via airtunes? I get hiccups all the time on that.

I can see the problem would be solved if the ATV would stream ahead, so that if I choose an album or playlist, it starts downoading the whole thing so that it would play robustly. And if it does download ahead (say a playlist of 10 albums) is there a delay in playing the start of the album or playlist?

Or does it just stream real time like the Airport, in which case it is worthless to me.

I am streaming real time, with no noticeable hiccups. My setup is FreeAgent Desk >>> (FireWire) >>> iMac >>> (USB) >>> AirPort Extreme ~~~wireless~~~ AppleTV >>> (HDMI) >>> Integra receiver.

Based on nothing but my observations, it appears that the ATV buffers the stream to avoid any transmission issues. I am streaming movies from my hard drive as well, and the buffer takes much longer to load with a movie.

I have tried connecting a USB hard drive directly to my Airport Extreme and asking my iMac to use it as the library, then asking the ATV to play songs or movies from that library. I have had very poor performance in this configuration. I believe the signal goes from ATV>iMac>AE>USB HD>AE>iMac>ATV and this overwhelms the AE.

I have had good luck streaming movies and music wirelessly use an AE (n) iMac and ATV.

Chris has given the suggestion to set it up as 5ghz only network, then if you are brave, turn off your SSID and then your security for maximum performance.

Basically you should not have any problems streaming wirelessly to the ATV.

Jeff

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly new to the "audiophile" world but I really need some solid advice.

I recently purchased an Apple TV (ATV) to avoid the dropouts and quality issues I had trying to stream my audio from my MacBook Pro to my audio system via the Airport Express. The ATV is an improvement in dropouts, but not in the actual sound of the music.

I have imported all of my CDs via the Apple Lossless codec @44.1 kHz and sync'd from iTunes to the ATV.

I connect my ATV to my amp via HDMI at the moment

My set up is:

Receiver/amp - Pioneer Elite SC09tx

Speakers - B&W 803s (front), SCMS (rear), HTM4s (front), Sunfire HRS-8 (sub) - only use the fronts for music.

My question are these:

1) Will a DAC truly improve anything? (Any recommendations as to which?)

2) Does the ATVs lack of 24bit audio detract from getting the most from my system?

3) Should I not use HDMI for audio? Why?

4) Any hints using the Harmony One to control the ATV? It barely works.

I don't want to pay extra $$$ and not hear a significant difference in sound depth

Thanks a lot for the input.

First, yes an external DAC will improve the sound quality of your ATV, you will need to use the TOSLINK as a digital out, as I have yet to see a DAC with HDMI input. The DAC in most electronics, (other than most high end stuff) is done out of necessity and not given the greatest attention, as it is part of a bigger electronic picture. A dedicated DAC or good CD player with a digital input will be a big improvement in sound quality, you will never go back I swear. Remember when upgrading your system start at the source, the DAC is the birth of the analogue signal.

There are relatively inexpensive to very expensive models available. The pages here at CA will give you more suggestions than you imagine on reasonable priced DAC's.

Certainly it would be nice to listen to 24/96 or higher, but the sound quality really starts with the recording, I have heard many very great sounding songs at 16/4.1.

Your best best will be to hook your MacBook Pro direct to an external DAC via TOSLINK or USB, you will bypass the ATV and get the 24/96 benefit. I do exactly that and really like the sound. You can still use your remote and Front Row as an interface.

I also have had trouble with my Logitech Uni. remote with my ATV and MacBook Pro.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

I must have just struck lucky with my Harmony One. 'Menu', 'OK' and the up, down, left, right buttons cover all my ATV functions although volume is split. Volume for Music vids, tv, movies etc comes under the control of my Sony a.v. amp (hdmi from the atv) so the volume control (to the left of the 'OK' button) is used. When listening to music from my iTunes library - NAS - atv - Toslink - ADM9.1's, then the arrows between the 'Menu' and 'Info' buttons are on volume control duty.

As I've mentioned (many times!) before, I am a complete technophobe but at least on matters 'Harmony One' I seem to be doing OK. All my activities (12 devices including a Lindy hdmi switch!!) are all performed via the Harmony. Apart from no Bluetooth, my only gripe are the slightly dated icons - still have a VCR symbol but no blu-ray. Hey-Ho.

I hear a HUGE difference between my Airport Express and same feeding a 12 year old Adcom DAC that's worth about $200. The Airport on its own in glassy and piercing in the highs and fuzzy and overblown in the mid-bass, with no little low bass. The Adcom on the other hand is quite good, though there is room for improvement.

I also second using an external DAC and the optical on the ATV makes it very easy and gives lots of options in terms of what you can choose for a DAC. Another thing I've done is I had an extra Cardas Twinlink power cord lying around. I got a IEC to C7 adapter and replaced the stock chord that came with the ATV. Personally, I noticed a bit of an improvement although I am sure many would disagree that power cords do not make a difference. For me, I do find they do make a difference on digital components and less so on amps.

I thinks PS Audio makes an upgrade cord for C7 style components.

I agree that power cords improve the sound quality.

I was skeptical until I did single blind tests with my wife and myself.

We both ended up liking the same cords the best.

• 4 months later...

Currently using an ATV, like the sound quality, but have been totally frustrated with its unreliability and constant freezing/crashing. One thing people do is hack the ATV to install Boxee to play every format available. Boxee will soon be launching their own unit. This may be something to keep an eye on if it's priced competitively.

http://blog.boxee.tv/2009/11/12/a-boxee-box-is-coming/

• 2 weeks later...

Been lurking around the web but couldn't get a definite answer. Does the Apple TV output 24/96 data on its optical output if the hi-res music files are stored locally on its hard drive? Is this feature specific to a particular version of the ATV? If yes, does it mean that all I have to do is sync the 24/96 files via iTunes on my laptop or do I need to follow a different procedure?

-J

Hi,

I've seen several conflicting posts indicating that they've got (or not) 24/96 out of the Apple TV when the files reside on its hard drive. In fact, I also read a post in a forum that it can do 24/96 when streaming from a Windows PC by changing some settings on Quicktime. I'm not quite sure if these things are indeed correct. I'm hoping someone has tried something out.

-J

As far as I'm aware - the Apple TV only does 16/44.1 and 48. It WILL play 24/96 files - but they are resampled down to 16/48.

I'm unsure if using XBMC / Plex / Boxee gets round this limit.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I tried a number of things to get more than 44.1 / 16 out of my ATV and none of them worked. Even split out the HDMI. The only thing that might work is using something like patchstick so you can subsequently load Midi setup and change the output characteristics. I didn't try this because of the potential of bricking the ATV and the uncertainly of getting the desired result. I ultimately broke down and bought a Mini.