IGNORED

Problem with downloading album art

I am new to computer audio and have downloaded only a half dozen or so recordings so far, both from HDTracks and B&W Society of Sound. Most have gone OK but for 2 of the recordings, 1 each from HDTracks and B&W, the album art doesn't display in iTunes. The pdf for the album art downloaded into a folder with the liner notes and all audio tracks, but I can't get the album cover to show in iTunes. I have tried "adding to library" just the pdf and it seems to allow me to do so but it still doesn't show up. At least one of the two was a FLAC file that I converted to AIFF; the other may have started as AIFF-I can't recall. All the other downloads have gone fine and album cover displays automatically after the download is added to the iTunes library. BTW, I am running on a new Mac Mini with OSX. Any ideas?

Thanks

You need to select all the tracks from the album, then right click on the tracks and choose Get Info. Copy and paste an image (not PDF file) into the Artwork box and click OK.

This should add the artwork to each of the tracks.

Not sure about the HD Tracks downloads, but the Society of Sounds ones should have both a CD booklet in PDF format, and also a JPEG file of just the front cover.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

So, this time I ripped a CD using Max. Again, no artwork and when I applied the method you suggested previously, there was no artwork to add. Perhaps it has something to do with the way I ripped it. After ripping, I imported into iTunes using "Add to Library". Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi Chris,

I ripped into AIFF and did not add art work at the time of the rip-I didn't know I had to select that option, naively hoping it would automatically rip along with the metadata. It sounds like adding art work at the time of the ripping is easiest-how do I do that? Does the art work or something else contain the info that tells iTunes to aggregate these tracks to a single album? Is there anything else I need to do to accomplish that?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Here's an even easier way to add artwork in iTunes (at least in OS X): in the lower left corner of the iTunes window, there's a square box (the title bar of that box will either say "selected item" or "now playing"--make sure "selected item" is showing: click the title bar to toggle between the two options). If the track you select has artwork, it'll display there; otherwise it'll be blank. To add artwork, select a track (or multiple tracks of an album) and simply drag the desired image file to that box. (You can even drag the image directly from a web browser window.)

For missing artwork, I usually get mine from a variety of sources: Amazon, CDUniverse, BarnesandNoble.com, or even Walmart.com are the places I usually look. Goggle image search will also yield album artwork not found on other sites. The images can vary considerably in quality from site to site, so I often copy several and then compare them to be sure to get the best one.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Thanks, Russell.

That looks fairly straightforward. For some reason, I was having trouble downloading the album art from Amazon, but when I tried it just now it worked fine. BTW, do you know how to configure Max so the art rips along with the audio tracks?

Hi Rick--I've only used Max for converting downloaded files (usually from FLAC to AIFF to ALAC); I haven't used it to rip a CD. When converting files, the album art usually goes with the converted file, as does all of the originating file's metadata. I normally use iTunes to rip CDs, and I've never had album art with that process...

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3