IGNORED

High quality power supplies for single board computers

52 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Does the result imply that it would be worth upgrading to a JS-2, SR4, DC3, etc.? Does it imply the opposite? Thanks, nbpf 

I used to have an ifi supply powering a microrendu, it was good but not a big step up from the wallwart supply despite the very good specification and measurements quoted (after all its just a filltered wallwart) it does not have the ability to delivery current at speed like a good toroid, R core or Ultracap supply. Moving up to an LPS1 made a big impact for the better, more detail, dynamics, seperation.

All the supplies you mention plus the LPS1.2 will make a significant impact to your system.

They do not 'sound' the same and that's difficult to measure, the LPS1.2 is brighter and leaner than the JS2 which has a warmer sound with bigger bass, the DC3 and SR4 somewhere in between. The DC3 is best with the mundorf caps option that really elevates the sound.

19 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

I used to have an ifi supply powering a microrendu, it was good but not a big step up from the wallwart supply despite the very good specification and measurements quoted (after all its just a filltered wallwart) it does not have the ability to delivery current at speed like a good toroid, R core or Ultracap supply. Moving up to an LPS1 made a big impact for the better, more detail, dynamics, seperation.

All the supplies you mention plus the LPS1.2 will make a significant impact to your system.

They do not 'sound' the same and that's difficult to measure, the LPS1.2 is brighter and leaner than the JS2 which has a warmer sound with bigger bass, the DC3 and SR4 somewhere in between. The DC3 is best with the mundorf caps option that really elevates the sound.

I'll have then to get one of those expensive beasts, I'm afraid! I have not mentioned the LPS1.2 because it appears to be limited to 1.1A. That should not be enough for a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with DigiOne and  HDD. Thanks for sharing your findings! 

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

I'll have then to get one of those expensive beasts, I'm afraid! I have not mentioned the LPS1.2 because it appears to be limited to 1.1A. That should not be enough for a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with DigiOne and  HDD. Thanks for sharing your findings! 

I would not recommend using a single power supply for multiple components if your goal is best performance, as this just shares the noise from one component to the next.  SBooster linear supplies are good performers at less cost.  "Best" power supplies are going to cost some $$ though, no way around that: still do not spend a bunch of money on an expensive supply and then share it amongst multiple components, as that just defeats the purpose.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 minutes ago, barrows said:

I would not recommend using a single power supply for multiple components if your goal is best performance, as this just shares the noise from one component to the next.  SBooster linear supplies are good performers at less cost.  "Best" power supplies are going to cost some $$ though, no way around that: still do not spend a bunch of money on an expensive supply and then share it amongst multiple components, as that just defeats the purpose.

I would not change the topology, just the power supply. It's just that the LPS1.2 does not seem to be suitable to power a Raspberry Pi + DigiOne + USB drive which is what I currently do with the ifi. I have meanwhile done some more listening and I think that the JS grounding is an improvement, thanks again for pointing the attention to this issue.