IGNORED

Home system advice

Hi,

Mods please move this post, if better suited elsewhere.

I’m currently running the following playback system:  iMac OSX 10.11.6 – YellowTec PUC2 (USB) XLR to two Genelec 8240A monitors and a 7270A sub.  I’m using Audirvana Plus on my iMac

Here is my dilemma.  I’m moving to a new home and the room where I will listen to my music is approx. 5.5m x 7.5m x 4.5m high, slightly larger than the one I'm currently in.  My current listening set up is very much like a near field studio desk with my ears only around 1.5m away from the Genelec’s.

My new room I intend to have my monitors on the long back wall on speaker stands and to sit between them for more lounge type listening and I will be further away from the monitors.  I’ve got the urge for a change, a rebuild or redesign my system and here are the options (all very different) I’m considering :

a)      Replace the 8240A and 7270A sub with a pair of Genelec 8351.  Keep the PUC2.  Room correction via GLM.

b)      Go for something completely different… Benchmark media DAC / AHB2 Power Amp and a pair of passive monitors (to be decided).  Room correction via mini DSP

c)       RME AD2 pro or ADI-2 DAC, a pair of Amphion One18 and a pair of Amp100 mono blocks.  Room correction via mini DSP  

So what would you guys do... or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Location: Manchester\'ish - UK. System: iMac, YellowTec PUC2 Lite, Genelec 7270A sub, 2 x 8240A monitors, a Drobo and Vovox cables.

That's kind of a random approach to system improvement... I don't recommend it as you don't have a clear destination in mind.

1) take note of what you don't like in your current solution/audio SQ. Can you link that to a component(s) causing it?

2) wait until you get into new environment, see what changes. If its a degradation, is this a problem you can link to another component?

And if you can't link what you dislike to a specific component many here may have had like issues and can share what they did to improve.

Goals are important to success and identifying what needs to change will help you ask pointed questions about suggested gear.. " can this fix my problem x?"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Explore new untested waters if you plan to live there for some time.  Get floor standers and amp that will fill the room and expand beyond the nearfield experience.  Then once you have all the room corrections in place and the sound sorted you can bring sub(s) back into the equation to pressurize the room.  If done right this will take some time and be enjoyable throughout.