IGNORED

Article:  Integrating Subwoofers with Stereo Mains using Audiolense

Hey Mitcho, 

I have for the last 3 years continuously been reading your articles over and over again. Its always been a pleasure.

I actually have similar set up to yours, of course I've been emulating your set up for several reasons. We have talked about this on the ASR forum. I have been convinced on how a set up like yours might hit the spot with audio nirvana. I have to say that the difference between my 3 way Troel 3WC with subs vs my 15inch/compression driver doesn't provide a significant difference. Your experiment(article) comparing the bookshelves with your JBL's was fascinating. This isn't a sign of disappointment the sound is larger with the 15 inch and I am still yet to upgrade to a decent 2 inch compression driver with a better horn/waveguide. So the potential is there, and of course the sound is better but not a huge difference which was noted in your other article.

Now, I have noticed a few things and I was wondering if you could back it up or refute it with some theory so I know which way to go according to science. I am aware they are amatuer questions but knowledge on them might direct me to a smoother transition with my set up. There just some observations which of course are all related to my particular system and can yield no definite answer but curious ultimately what you think?

1. I know this question is always asked but I am curious if you feel the same way? Adding two subs 12 inchers(.43 QTC) so there good subs, doesn't add too much and at times I think it better to have all the bass come out from the 15 inches(Deltalite). But it can get messy down low with some types of music. I am curious if I do add subs whats a decent crossover point? I found 70hz was better than 140hz proving my point that more out of the 15 is better. My cabinet with the deltalite is a SBB4 alignment with an f3 at 51hz and tuned at around 40hz. Any recommendations?

2. I also found that crossing over the Deltalite with the DE250 at 1600hz sounded better. I know that the 15 inch beams at that Hz and a crossover at around 800hz is better and that I do need a 2 inch compression driver to meet it more smoothly. I am just curious if it could be any reason other than the fact that a 1 inch compression driver can't play well at a lower crossover point at around 1000hz? 

• 1 month later...