IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

28 minutes ago, paulkouhan said:

Sorry I do not know what is jsgt..

You can pick the earth on any Ac plug and bring a wire to the shielding ?

JSGT is a ground shunt that is perticularly effetive on PSUs for network devices to deal with high frequency impedance. It is two DC female sockets facing each other with very short wires inbetween and a third long wire attached to the -Ve to the last DC female socket with a AC mains plug at the end of the cable (the wire attached to the ground tab only). Connect it to the same power distributir as the rest if your system to shunt the high frequency impedance noise back to where it came from. JSGT is IME only effective on routers and network switches, but I know other people who swear by it’s greatness un other spots as well.

🎛️  Audio System  

I just added another Kemet A750 at the Brooklyn DAC side (2:nd picture). My two LS-HPULNs (5A LT3045) have already two Kemet A750 at their outputs (as original as seen on 1:st picture). Still this improved ut further with a mire detailed and crispy SQ. From bottom to top. Very nice! ?

076928F6-AD0B-434A-B89B-AB183F92202A.thumb.jpeg.3afbd8739f99a920ab9ff8480da8379d.jpeg607713D5-3590-4C84-B28C-3E706BC0C11F.thumb.jpeg.f188fa0bd3c192f2c2ff062cf35e1d82.jpeg

🎛️  Audio System  

Can someone, perhaps John, please explain again the working theories behind JSSG and JSGT.

I have been reading quite a lot (dangerous in itself) about generation and shielding of EMI and RFI and it seems like JSSG might be acting like a quasi Faraday cage.  The difference I see is that a Faraday cage, IIUC, is always grounded.  Rather than a wire or another shield (with insulating layer) attached to both ends of the first layer of post added shielding, would it not be better to attach that wire to a ground?

1 minute ago, BigGuy said:

Can someone, perhaps John, please explain again the working theories behind JSSG and JSGT.

I have been reading quite a lot (dangerous in itself) about generation and shielding of EMI and RFI and it seems like JSSG might be acting like a quasi Faraday cage.  The difference I see is that a Faraday cage, IIUC, is always grounded.  Rather than a wire or another shield (with insulating layer) attached to both ends of the first layer of post added shielding, would it not be better to attach that wire to a ground?

A Faraday cage doesn't need to be grounded.

Addition of LT3045 in line with Ultracap LPS1

Chain > LHLabs LPS > DC cable OEM> LPS1> POe > LT3045 > IsoRegen > iFi iDSD BL to HD800

First change was to swap one DC cable with the POe between UltraCap LPS1 (7v output) and IsoRegen

2nd Change was to insert LT3045 6v from POe DC cable end and IsoRegen

SQ improvement

1. POe - better bass, improved tonality , music has deeper dramatic difference between loud and soft passages( eith UGreen Cat 7 cable)

2. Add the LT3045 .. Quieter background, more detail heard.. improved clarity on sounds on extrene left and right sides of stereo spread

Audibilty of sounds from the back of the venue in Live recordings.. Hall echoes and ambience 2nd and even third echoes can be heard

Due to much lower noise level, effective dynamic range enhanced

Next experiment ...1.  JSSG360 every cable

2. Cat 8 .. Found this Japanese CAT 8 cable for trial.. non metallic RJ-45 connector.. ideal.. double shielding same as Supra Cat8

3. POe with a GX12 2pin to 5.5x2.1barrel cable.. next weekend to solder a GX12 to thePOe ( may hv to gut the POe?)

4. use the RJ-45 female to female coupler to do earth return loop for the POe ( switch to Cat ?

Will keep everyone posted...

E3B8C537-8E78-4A96-B2C7-3472D7BAF33D.png

5AC25D83-88C0-4B6D-8CFA-7F53E9AE4C86.png

318CB202-7C88-475C-822B-0DF8E9E547C4.png

12 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

Addition of LT3045 in line with Ultracap LPS1

Chain > LHLabs LPS > DC cable OEM> LPS1> POe > LT3045 > IsoRegen > iFi iDSD BL to HD800

First change was to swap one DC cable with the POe between UltraCap LPS1 (7v output) and IsoRegen

2nd Change was to insert LT3045 6v from POe DC cable end and IsoRegen

SQ improvement

1. POe - better bass, improved tonality , music has deeper dramatic difference between loud and soft passages( eith UGreen Cat 7 cable)

2. Add the LT3045 .. Quieter background, more detail heard.. improved clarity on sounds on extrene left and right sides of stereo spread

Audibilty of sounds from the back of the venue in Live recordings.. Hall echoes and ambience 2nd and even third echoes can be heard

Due to much lower noise level, effective dynamic range enhanced

Next experiment ...1.  JSSG360 every cable

2. Cat 8 .. Found this Japanese CAT 8 cable for trial.. non metallic RJ-45 connector.. ideal.. double shielding same as Supra Cat8

3. POe with a GX12 2pin to 5.5x2.1barrel cable.. next weekend to solder a GX12 to thePOe ( may hv to gut the POe?)

4. use the RJ-45 female to female coupler to do earth return loop for the POe ( switch to Cat ?

Will keep everyone posted...

E3B8C537-8E78-4A96-B2C7-3472D7BAF33D.png

5AC25D83-88C0-4B6D-8CFA-7F53E9AE4C86.png

318CB202-7C88-475C-822B-0DF8E9E547C4.png

What do you use to connect regen with iDSD?

USPC A>B

No Usb cables 

I use the 90 deg USPC to the ISOREGEN then a regular USPC ->  USB3.0 Female adapter and plug into the iFi iDSD BL. RCA output to my Audionote 300b monoblocs to dual mono APPJ tube amp HP Resistor adapter 

Positive line added 25watt 10ohm Vishap padding resistor to lower output to match HD800(last photo is Vishay w/o insulation covet

Ooh 6.25 mm line to 4 pin is DIY

All cables for RCA and Hp is 16ga gold plated silver(with varnish coating) in teflon tube and Aluminium foil indulated on teflon tube exterior

Wonderful HD..800 (analixus modded) sound?

D5C853D4-223E-44E9-8E3B-813972784560.png

E6F61178-AAB7-48C6-B67D-18600DEB6E4B.jpeg

1C9E51F5-5ED3-4DBB-B949-D93A52D2D2C9.jpeg

FB1B85BC-071B-4A69-BB4B-F09E5BB4CF4A.jpeg

3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

What is USPC A>B?

Thank you.

Perhaps members should refrain from using abbreviations like these in the General area of the forum, as the vast majority of members and visitors won't have a clue what they are talking about. Even infrequent visitors to other sections of the forum easily lose track of them too. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Positive line added 25watt 10ohm Vishap padding resistor to lower output to match HD800(last photo is Vishay w/o insulation covet

Don't forget that for the most balanced sound the HD800 should be driven from a source impedance of 120 ohms .

HD800.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

48 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Perhaps members should refrain from using abbreviations like these in the General area of the forum, as the vast majority of members and visitors won't have a clue what they are talking about. Even infrequent visitors to other sections of the forum easily lose track of them too. 

I may agree, if... ok, forget

18 hours ago, BigGuy said:

Here is the post where I covered shielding:

It IS like a Faraday cage, that is the whole idea, making a cable behave like a Faraday cage. Read the details in the post.

The other is a way to shunt high impedance leakage (note NOT high FREQUENCY, this leakage  is actually line frequency related) generated by SMPS. In my studies into leakage I found that SMPS generate some very high impedance leakage that is very hard to block, it will go all over the place because the impedance is so high. BUT it is easy to shunt to ground (actually the safety ground in house wiring, EARTH connection not actually necessary). It is a very simple concept, connect the negative output of the SMPS to the safety ground and the high impedance leakage is shunted around your system. I posted some simple adapters to do this with common SMPS . This is a big issue for computer audio since most computer systems, networking equipment etc use SMPS. 

BTW the traditional low impedance leakage is still there on both SMPS and linear supplies, but there are ways to deal with that.

John S.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, Cornan said:

That’s tricky for me unfortunately since my system is pretty much floating to begin with (using floating balanced LPSUs). In my case I’m better off not connecting it to the ground. If connecting one end of the drain loop to ground helps I wonder? Do you use JSGT on your LPSU by any chance? Is it powering any network devices?

Hi,

No all my devices are powered in a "traditionnal" way. Earth ground is used only for shileding cables.

I still have 2 SMPS that power my full digital amps. I plan to try some linear power supply or to plug the SMPS on a totally different power line.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:14 PM, Cornan said:

Next up the dual Supra DAC with drain loop.

Boy what a releif from the Puresonic tripple ccc cable with Oyiade plugs in this spot! The gates of heaven was opened again. A breath of fresh air injected into everything. More music glow. More crisp. More presence. More air. More 3D & 4D but with singer in front. Fibers in loads. Wow! This got to be the best f***ing DC cable that I’ve tried ever! ?

Thanks for this tip - I have no access to Supra DAC but have sort of similar cables lying around. I had some left over tonearm cable (1ft) - the Van Den Hul D-502 twin hybrid (carbon/25.4 AWG SPC). With your 'winning' configuration I am getting a very sweet PRaT'y sound when I use it between LPS-1.2 & uR! I cannot say whether the sound  image is as clear as the CAT7/8 but the tones are better (smoother, much like the Gotham). The Cornan cable config = 'High inductance in Faraday cage'? Very interesting.

image.thumb.png.0b6e446a1f62b76f0286176c9f9d4f37.pnghttps://www.vandenhul.com/product/d-502-hybrid-halogen-free/

the single bulk

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VAN-DEN-HUL-M-C-D-501-HYBRID-HIGH-QUALITY-TONEARM-CABLE-METERWARE-PER-1-0M/271953916206?hash=item3f51b7712e:g:md4AAOSwry1aQQJk

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Here is the post where I covered shielding:

It IS like a Faraday cage, that is the whole idea, making a cable behave like a Faraday cage. Read the details in the post.

The other is a way to shunt high impedance leakage (note NOT high FREQUENCY, this leakage  is actually line frequency related) generated by SMPS. In my studies into leakage I found that SMPS generate some very high impedance leakage that is very hard to block, it will go all over the place because the impedance is so high. BUT it is easy to shunt to ground (actually the safety ground in house wiring, EARTH connection not actually necessary). It is a very simple concept, connect the negative output of the SMPS to the safety ground and the high impedance leakage is shunted around your system. I posted some simple adapters to do this with common SMPS . This is a big issue for computer audio since most computer systems, networking equipment etc use SMPS. 

BTW the traditional low impedance leakage is still there on both SMPS and linear supplies, but there are ways to deal with that.

John S.

Thank you for the "reprise", John, and the links to previous discussion.

IIRC, there has been prior discussion of a "snubber" resistor/capacitor circuit for power supplies(?).  I happened  to be reading (again) and came across this article with a reference (page 4) to "X2Y" capacitors and thought it might application to some of what people are doing...

<http://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-070.pdf>

I also found this article re shielded cables with a reference (slide 13) to an "absolutely screening technique" which I found particulaly easy to understand  ?

<http://www.elmac.co.uk/Papers.html>

4 hours ago, bit01 said:

Thanks for this tip - I have no access to Supra DAC but have sort of similar cables lying around. I had some left over tonearm cable (1ft) - the Van Den Hul D-502 twin hybrid (carbon/25.4 AWG SPC). With your 'winning' configuration I am getting a very sweet PRaT'y sound when I use it between LPS-1.2 & uR! I cannot say whether the sound  image is as clear as the CAT7/8 but the tones are better (smoother, much like the Gotham). The Cornan cable config = 'High inductance in Faraday cage'? Very interesting.

image.thumb.png.0b6e446a1f62b76f0286176c9f9d4f37.pnghttps://www.vandenhul.com/product/d-502-hybrid-halogen-free/

the single bulk

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/VAN-DEN-HUL-M-C-D-501-HYBRID-HIGH-QUALITY-TONEARM-CABLE-METERWARE-PER-1-0M/271953916206?hash=item3f51b7712e:g:md4AAOSwry1aQQJk

Your welcome @bit01!

Even if the Supra DAC looks similar to the VDH H-502 they are a bit different.

While Supra DAC have a drain wire and a semi-conductive nylon shield the H-502 has this:

Quote: ”The D – 502 HYBRID is equipped with a centre steel wire to provide extra mechanical reinforcement and strain relief. This coated steel wire, can be soldered and used as an extra ground-lead. The total pulling force handling of just this centre wire is already more than 30 kg.”

This is more or less a ground wire for turntable that doubles as a strain releif. No semi-conductive shield around the cables. 

The wires seems to be shielded though.

What did you do with the center ground cable/strain releif and the shieldings around the wires in your cable?

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The other is a way to shunt high impedance leakage (note NOT high FREQUENCY, this leakage  is actually line frequency related) generated by SMPS. In my studies into leakage I found that SMPS generate some very high impedance leakage that is very hard to block, it will go all over the place because the impedance is so high. BUT it is easy to shunt to ground (actually the safety ground in house wiring, EARTH connection not actually necessary). It is a very simple concept, connect the negative output of the SMPS to the safety ground and the high impedance leakage is shunted around your system.

John, so are you saying this Faraday cage is neededon the cable between theLPS1.2 and the ISO Regen? 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

11 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

In my studies into leakage I found that SMPS generate some very high impedance leakage that is very hard to block, it will go all over the place because the impedance is so high.

Are you saying that this is the reason it’s a factor with the LPS1.2 supply, because it has a buck converter? Does the leakage go around the solid state relays/bank switching MOSFETs?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Your welcome @bit01!

Even if the Supra DAC looks similar to the VDH H-502 they are a bit different.

While Supra DAC have a drain wire and a semi-conductive nylon shield the H-502 has this:

Quote: ”The D – 502 HYBRID is equipped with a centre steel wire to provide extra mechanical reinforcement and strain relief. This coated steel wire, can be soldered and used as an extra ground-lead. The total pulling force handling of just this centre wire is already more than 30 kg.”

This is more or less a ground wire for turntable that doubles as a strain releif. No semi-conductive shield around the cables. 

The wires seems to be shielded though.

What did you do with the center ground cable/strain releif and the shieldings around the wires in your cable?

Well I said similar from an inductance perspective. The SPC wires have a conductive carbon film deposit (hence hybrid) between their outside diameters and the PE insulation plus the overall SPC shield over the two. I removed the steel wire, the shields of the two are joined together at both ends.

1 hour ago, Summit said:

Why??

Because they were DESIGNED to meet an old IEC specification that says they should be driven from a 120 ohms source impedance. It's no coincidence that the graph shows this gives the flattest frequency response in the critical midrange area !

Other headphones such as the AKG K701 etc. , AT W1000 etc. also met this specification.