Jump to content
sligolad

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

 

Exactly.

I suppose there may be recordings engineered that way the same as there are recordings that have sounds circling the room. However if many/most recordings start 3' behind the plane of the drivers I would describe it as "recessed".

The world is a very bizarre place when a DC power cable between an UpTone LPS1 and ISO Regen affects soundstage!!! Are we still talking about that?. @Superdad I ain’t goin’ to start ABXing pieces of copper wire ???


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The world is a very bizarre place when a DC power cable between an UpTone LPS1 and ISO Regen affects soundstage!!! Are we still talking about that?. @Superdad I ain’t goin’ to start ABXing pieces of copper wire ???

 

hey, what have you got against bizarre places O.o


Sound Minds Mind Sound

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

When a system is working well, the amount of HF is irrelevant

Frank

 Perhaps in your system, but not in most other people's systems.

 Even the bipolar capacitor degradation over the years in the Crossovers to the Tweeters in the speakers causes a noticeable degradation compared to when new.  You just become accustomed to the gradual degradation.

 

Alex


How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 28-06-2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

?  soundstaging -?  maybe there is a builtin RT60 Modifier Module that isn't properly deconvoluted in each item's power cable

 

but whatever it is, Frank can retune it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jabbr said:

The world is a very bizarre place when a DC power cable between an UpTone LPS1 and ISO Regen affects soundstage!!! Are we still talking about that?. @Superdad I ain’t goin’ to start ABXing pieces of copper wire ???

 

Hey, I didn’t start this!  The DIY tweakers just went there.  x-D  We include with the UltraCap supplies a 27-inch, 16awg coax cable that I have made in China 1,000 pieces at a time.  And we offer a 20-inch version of our heavy-duty Oyaide/Belden shielded star-quad (4x18awg).  Star-quad does lower inductance so technically beneficial.

 

But I personally have not had any time to do any DC cable “auditions,” so I make zero claims about any of this.  Maybe now that we are getting production caught up with orders I’ll have an evening or two to actually sit down and listen.  There is a small pile of items and comparisons I am overdue on.  

 

Ciao, 

—Alex C.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, sandyk said:
2 hours ago, fas42 said:

When a system is working well, the amount of HF is irrelevant

Frank

 Perhaps in your system, but not in most other people's systems.

 

 

Not in anyone's system !?


Sound Minds Mind Sound

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Frank

 Perhaps in your system, but not in most other people's systems.

 Even the bipolar capacitor degradation over the years in the Crossovers to the Tweeters in the speakers causes a noticeable degradation compared to when new.  You just become accustomed to the gradual degradation.

 

Alex

 

Yes, those caps are one thing I do worry about ... if particularly nondescript, I replace with decent quality film; and/or give the speakers a good thrashing with plenty of treble content before taking them seriously. Stabilises the HF behaviour enough for decent sound to emerge.

 

The best solution is no caps, of course - DSP, fully active speakers.


Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fas42 said:

This album, and this track, is a good test item for treble behaviour - the cymbals are going full bore, throughout ... how does this hold up?

 

 

 

There is a certain affinity for Turkish women at the bath but nothing to do with the cymbals !


Sound Minds Mind Sound

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 1:04 AM, totoxio said:

Question: Are dielectric absorption and insulation resistance the same or related?

 

Mr. JS mentioned something about dielectric absortion as one of the possible causes for this POE discovery. After that, marce replied "

"John, I cannot see how dielectric absorption can have any effect at DC... Even low frequencies it has minimal effect at DC it will have none? Puzzled".

 

These CAT cables strands are very thin, and proportionally, the insulation is higher (maybe). The cheaper CAT cables also use PVC as insulation material. So maybe there's a lot of insulation resistance going on. Combining both posts (and yours), maybe there's some atenuation going on for AC leakages because they travel in the outside layer of the CAT cables by skin effect, closer to insulation than the DC. So, more resistance to AC than to DC, so AC filtering.

 

Maybe I'm saying nonsense, but hey, it's just another theory.

DA does not have any effect at dc or low frequency ac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supra considers their air infused dielectric to reduce capacitance of their wire. Capacitance is important to minimize in audio interconnects (i.e. at low frequencies) - correct? 

 

I realize this may not have anything to do with DC, but still thought your point about having no effect at low frequencies seemed off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Quadman, what you describe sounds pretty good to me. As my own system has gotten more refined and the perception of music has fully detached from the speakers, I’d describe a very deep soundstage as well, and music usually coming from behind the plane of the speakers. Yes, I’m sure with more incisive and aggressive speakers, I could make the soundstage move forward, but I tend to reject the sound of these kinds of designs as overly emphasizing upper midrange and high frequencies at the expense of the all-important (to me) “power” region of lower midrange and upper bass that gives music its soul. By emphasizing the upper frequency transients, you can achieve attack that brings the soundstage forward, but I also have found that this flattens the soundstage to less depth, and brightens the sound to an unnatural and artificial timbre. 

 

In other words, I bet your system sounds awesome, and keep on keepin’ on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Star-quad does lower inductance so technically beneficial.

A benefit of lowered inductance implies that the current draw of the device is highly variable. For a low powered digital device, the onboard capacitance would serve to smooth switching. Is the ISO Regen current draw "spikeblesy" to the extent that cable impedance between the ISO Regen and the LPS1 makes a difference?

 

Moreover if this is indeed the case then obviously using as short a cable as possible is most important... also attaching long legged alien creatures to the cables surely act as antennae, increase inductance etc ... but obviously on board low ESR capacitance is most important.


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, genjamon said:

Supra considers their air infused dielectric to reduce capacitance of their wire. Capacitance is important to minimize in audio interconnects (i.e. at low frequencies) - correct? 

 

I realize this may not have anything to do with DC, but still thought your point about having no effect at low frequencies seemed off. 

 

Huh? There is a drastic difference between a power supply line and a signal line. In power supplies one wants to increase capacitance!


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Quadman said:

I am sorry my system does not meet your high expectations of audio payback.  In my description on my profile page and back with my first impressions of full cat 8 cable, I state my speakers are 8.5 ft into the room.  The stage here, like my friends $500K system in MN whose speakers are 10.5ft into the room; both systems, the stage starts behind the speaker plane and extends way back and way out to the sides, He has some reel to reel tapes with phase manipulation and his whole huge room fills with sound when he plays those.

 

I use Raal ribbon tweeters and the crossovers have no Bi-polar caps anywhere near these speakers, I could post a pink noise graph on my speakers L and R at the LP.  I do use Clio 8.53 in my speaker set up and last time I measured the highs are as good as any graph I have seen and my ears tell me the highs are just fine.

 

Not sure on a system you have never heard you can be so confident about its sound and my inability to describe its sound staging.  Regardless this is getting way off topic.

 

Be well

2 hours ago, Quadman said:

I am sorry my system does not meet your high expectations of audio payback.  In my description on my profile page and back with my first impressions of full cat 8 cable, I state my speakers are 8.5 ft into the room.  The stage here, like my friends $500K system in MN whose speakers are 10.5ft into the room; both systems, the stage starts behind the speaker plane and extends way back and way out to the sides, He has some reel to reel tapes with phase manipulation and his whole huge room fills with sound when he plays those.

 

I use Raal ribbon tweeters and the crossovers have no Bi-polar caps anywhere near these speakers, I could post a pink noise graph on my speakers L and R at the LP.  I do use Clio 8.53 in my speaker set up and last time I measured the highs are as good as any graph I have seen and my ears tell me the highs are just fine.

 

Not sure on a system you have never heard you can be so confident about its sound and my inability to describe its sound staging.  Regardless this is getting way off topic.

 

Be well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RamDawg said:

I think you are jabbring about something you have not heard or experienced yet ???

 

I've had much more vivid experiences with magic mushrooms ?


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RamDawg said:

I think you are jabbring about something you have not heard or experienced yet.

 

Well @jabbr does has had an ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 at his place for a few weeks, so it would not be hard for him to experiment with DC cables. (Though mushrooms on a sunny Sunday afternoon does sound like more fun than DC cable swapping. O.o)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

 

Well @jabbr does has had an ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 at his place for a few weeks, so it would not be hard for him to experiment with DC cables. (Though mushrooms on a sunny Sunday afternoon does sound like more fun than DC cable swapping. O.o)

 

Sigh ... just realized that the burn in doesn't work until I plug the power cable in ?l

There are an infinite number of variables in the world to try, and I've found that when I try to listen to too many variables at the same time that the mushrooms have more of an effect on my SQ than the various devices ... I stick to things that have a credible chance of making a difference, for example the new clock in the ISO Regen, and the floating supercap supply -- those are REAL. 

 

Sorry still waiting for something credible about why, for example DC power cable inductance between the two. I'll place a very low yet non-zero bar on what I will consider credible. If a credible argument presents itself, then yes I am in a position to test. Still waiting... ?


Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference between the cables and plenty of folks on this thread have experienced them starting on page 1. That's what I like about this thread is these differences are cheep and quick to order and test!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RamDawg said:

There is a difference between the cables and plenty of folks on this thread have experienced them starting on page 1. That's what I like about this thread is these differences are cheep and quick to order and test!  

 

Facts are never what they seem to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...