IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

1 hour ago, sligolad said:

I can vouch for Cornan's recommendation on these supplies, big jump in performance and sound will astonish you.

I went from a Paul Hynes SR7 5v supply through a full paired POE CAT8 input to my ISO Regen to now:

The old Meanwell SMPS 7.5v I had from an old Regen purchase going through a paired POE CAT7 into a LS-HPULN set to 5v out then through a paired POE CAT8 into the ISO Regen and best sound ever.

I was surprised at the improvement.

Hi Sligolad

Your Paul Hynes SR7 is a pretty awesome PSU. 

Are you using it just to feed the HPULN's?  How much did the SQ improve using the HPULN (fed by the SR7) rather than just using the SR7 by itself?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, sligolad said:

As stated I am using a cheap Meanwell SMPS at 7.5v into another LS-HPULN set to 5v, so only a 2.5v drop and it easily beats the 5v out that i previously used from the SR7.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to know - really says something about how good the HPLUN design is! 

Might have to buy one to find out myself.

3 hours ago, Quadman said:

Ok so last night was my first night listening to a all Cat 8 DC power cable chain in my system.  Moving from my custom PoE's (photo of back on page 4 of thread) and 1m Ugreen round cat 7 cable.  I cut the Cat 8 for just the length needed and due to the stiffness of this cable I ended longer than a more flexible cable would have but I was still shorter than the 1m Ugreen.  I generally direct connected to each PSU with the screw terminals that solder to the PCB's, like what Alexy supplies with the 1A LT3045 boards and then used a CUI barrel connector soldered to the Cat 8 to connect to my devices.  Here's a photo.  The longer runs got the JSSG ground wire before installing.

1376460197_Cat8.thumb.jpg.057cd5a5868cfb7507d2225b3850f988.jpg

FYI- I upsample all music to DSD512 with HQP using Polysinc XTR mp 2s, with DSD5v2 filter to a T+A dac 8DSD

I selected a showoff playlist I have on Roon and selected shuffle, the very first song was a acoustic live recording and the shear size and presence of the audience startled me.  It shouldn't have, I spend an average of 100 hours per month listening to this system for the past 4 years via digital, it is really good, very transparent and very dynamic with a huge stage, but never the less I was startled by the presence and realness of the audience.  For the entire evening I listened to very familiar tracks I was enjoying myself, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what this was doing different.  The cat 7 setup was also very transparent, dynamic and threw a huge stage and clearly was better than before the PoE discovery, but the cat 8 was different, I couldn't pin what it was that caused this.  Then around 1:30AM I played my most frequent tracks some live, some acoustic, some rock and blues.  I then realized on these tracks that I have heard several hundred times that the speakers were just not there, not once did I hear a sound that came near a speaker the sound was behind and to the sides of the speakers depth went well beyond my back wall, it was as if the sound came from my acoustic panels behind the speakers.  Now the system came really close to this level before but this was just a bit different more real in an eerie life like kind of a way.  Transparency was not much different, I ended up playing about 1 click down on the volume knob with cat 8, depth and width really was not that much deeper and wider but this FELT different, more organic, more real.  All the audiophile adjectives were there but the feeling was real.

Now I have big speakers about 5 ft tall, I sit 8.5 ft from each speaker, the speakers are 8.5 ft from the back wall to the front of the speaker.  Bass plays flat down to 25 hz I EQ the bass only with a digital parametric equalizer which we set up using Clio 8.53 software.  Generally I am plus or minus 5db from 25-20K Htz and plus or minus 2-3db from 250-17K Htz.   Hard to believe these big speakers can disappear so effectively like they did last night.  Here's a photo for your reference.

1774753604_bigrig6_4_18.thumb.jpg.7dd644068f1390596a801b026e2d7e27.jpg

8.5 ft away and it was like they were not there on a level I have never heard before, which by the way was already pretty impressive (is there an echo :D).  So my next move after friends come for a few days and I finish the BBQ contest we compete in later this month I will try the full Gotham Gac 4 ultra pro Larry says will even top this.  I ask can it really get any better?  Well it has so far in each PoE step up.  Big thanks to Bi-Polar Rob for the discovery (tho his other half was wrong saying the cat 8 was a step back), and to the community for sharing all their experiments and results with us followers.  Thank you!!

Thanks for the review, Quadman.

I've looked at your posts on page 4 but there's a lot of info there and I'm not sure what twisted pairs/wires you actually used (in this cat 8 cable) for the DC voltage?

Any chance you could go over this again?

Thanks.

Looking for a Ugreen Ethernet cable on ebay and came across this one here:https://www.ebay.com/itm/UGREEN-Ethernet-Cable-Cat7-RJ45-Network-Patch-Cable-10-Gigabit-For-Laptop-PC-Mac/152108723581?hash=item236a62ed7d:m:mTy5KCpsGONMDL2q5i_RZXg

I don't know if it's the same Ugreen cable recommended in this thread but there's a nice close-up of the cable:

$_10.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Each pair has a ground wire/line - what function would this have? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cornan said:

Nice! Thanks for sharing your impressions! ? I get that super real experiences on some recordings as well with the dual Supra DAC cable. A really nice I’m there feeling to it all! ?

My next experiment will actually be with dual coaxial cables with the center core of each cable to -Ve and +Ve and the shield mesh sorruounding the cables connected to each other in a loop that surrounds the -Ve and +Ve. This will still not be a JSSG since it is lacking an insulated drain wire. It will also have solid cables instead of stranded. I hope to get this done quite soon and report back how it turns out! 

Hi

Not sure, but have you tried any of the POE adaptor/cat7,8 cables (Ugreen etc) that started this topic? 

If so, your Supra DAC cable surpasses POE for you?

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

The reason why I wanted to try the dual Supra DAC was because it was a quick cable construction with low losses (semi-conductive nylon braid screening and air-filled PE foam insulation). I was also interested to try a kind of balanced construction with a shotgun style cable where the drain wire and semi-conductive screen possibly could cancel out artifacts in the two opposite cables. I cannot prove anything, but it surely sounds truly great! Better than Canare 4S6 with JSSG, Supra cat 8 with JSSG and Supra BiLine MKII with JSSG  for sure! ?

Electrical performance

Resistance 8.1 Ohm/km
Inductance 0.28 uH/m
Capacitance 45 pF/m
Characteristic impedance 110 Ohm
Velocity factor 0.78 x C (speed of light)

Hi

Anyone if the supra DAC cable discussed is available on ebay?  I can't find any sellers outside of Sweden and the U.S.

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

So curiosity got the better of me, and per Cornan's latest findings, here's my new Franken cable, minus any Supra! Some solid core 75 ohm digital cable left by the Direct TV installer, for -ve, and some 24 awg solid silver wire for the +ve (Vanguard, eBay). No JSSG. Both what I had on hand - one might do better with pricier wire but who knows. . 

Pretty much sounds like Cornan describes. I will note I tried first with screw barrel connectors, and every time I get a more dynamic and slightly less veiled sound with the soldered Oyaides. It's subtle, but something to think about. I'm loving the bass slam with this combo, and the high end seems sweeter with the simple single strand of unshielded silver (less wincing moments for this tinnitus sufferer).

What a journey. Last one Cornan! I will say that one can't go wrong with Supra Cat8 and beyond, though it looks as if actual separation of the wires is the key. The twist in Cat7/8 must be doing something similar, though actual physical separation is better. 

cable.jpg

Going back to the original POE dc cable that started this topic,, what are the common traits between your 'Franken' cable and the POE design - only the thin silver 24 awg wire as far as I can see? 

Is this the critical factor as to why this design works so well?