IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

You guys must have missed my post in the main thread where I already opened up several different cables to inspect, including IBRA, Vandesail, and Amazon Cat7s. The IBRA was the WORST of the bunch in terms of build quality. The individual shielding is half-assed, the mesh braid felt so light and thin I thought it was fake. I laughed when I cut the thing open. Hell *I* could make a better cable with one hand. And scotch in the other. 

The cable with the best build quality was the Amazon. Night and day. It had the best internal construction of the lot; Multiple layers of shielding; proper and *tightly* wrapped. Thick jacket. It was the most difficult to peel apart. I was kind of surprised. I almost wonder if Blue Jeans Cable or Belden makes it. It had that kind of feel and quality of materials.

And yet it didn't sound as good as the rest. Or I should say, it sounded good but in a different way - a way that more aligns with one expects from superior shielded cable: Neutral, almost bland sound quality, Good micro detail, and what seemed like a little bit lower noise even. But it lacked the flowing, organic presentation of the IBRA. No question. Lacked presence. Maybe that would improve with time though, I don't know. I could see some people preferring it.

So if you really want to test the shielding theory, get the Amazon Cat7 and compare. The IBRA as quality shielding/build though... don't think so.

49 minutes ago, sligolad said:

We should be careful when lumping cable shielding under one brand since my experience after opening a flat IBRA CAT7 it had really good shielding on the pairs. The foil was really heavy and coated and it took a bit of work to open it.

I will open one of the round IBRA CAT7 cables i have to see how good it is.

I did not get the flat IBRA, but I would be very, *very* surprised if its shielding is as good as say, the Amazon. The flat Vandesail I opened up certainly was not that impressive. Being flat, it can't have had the same layers of shielded as some of the round ones. The Amazon has a quality outer copper shield, an outer foil, and then very, very tightly wrapped shield around each twisted pair (may be more but I don't remember - see my post at USAmart). Shielding is not the reason for what we are hearing. And there is a large degree of variation between brands. I suggest you guys get a bunch of different cables, both flat and round and open them up, like I did, and you'll see what I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

Overall more natural and analogue sounding, but def. not the repeated exclamations and fist pumping change as seen by Tubelover. 

It may help to actually do what he did. Although interesting, you did something completely different.

3 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

We’ll see. I just ordered a meter of Supra 8 to compare to the Monoprice I’m using (it is blue inside the inner wire foil). Supra sold by someone here in Seattle so should get it quickly. 

Why not just order an IBRA or UGreen (round) as well to have as the point of reference? Should get to you in the same time as the Supra and it's just a couple bucks. No one else has used Monoprice or the Supra in this application that I'm aware of. 

16 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I had an IBRA and then returned it. Wasn’t anything that special or different compared to what I had on hand (the Monoprice, Teragrand, AQ Cinnamon, etc). I think these were picked out of a hat solely because of their availability on Amazon. Lots of Cat 7 to choose from out there. So having compared the monoprice with the IBRA when I had a poE I think I have a pretty good idea of how to gauge the Supra. 

I didn't see you mention having used any of those in this application, only the Monoprice.

30 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Man you’re quick! ⚡️Thanks to you it will be a walk in the park making my Supra Cat 8 DC cables without the usual trials and errors involved! Great work! ?

Glad to see you're ready now to try this tweak.

10 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Dunno what to say but the OP seemed to have abandoned this music server ship

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=160

http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4541&start=180

Even powering the motherboard with SR7EHD from Paul Hynes plus feeding LT3045 directly to RAM couldn't save the day.

Yes, using an SD Card player pays big dividends with sound quality for the cost - especially once modded. Downside is the card readers are usually cheap and a little flimsy, and they have 32gb limitations. On ebay they are called 'Digital turntables' and that's pretty accurate in terms of inconvenience. But if that's not a deal-breaker and you have some basic soldering skills (to replace clocks and improve power supply), they sound really really good.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic isn't it?

8 hours ago, paulkouhan said:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the cable that connects the shielding from both sides ?

Thanks!

John Swenson Shield Guidelines

"PS. For people not aware about the JSSG loop it is is simply a cable shield that is not connected to any of the plugs. Instead there is a drain wire loop that runs along the shield." - H/T Cornan

Unfortunately, I can't find Swenson's original post/statement, so I'm not sure what else it involves.

6 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

There would be too much voltage drop down between the microRendu and LPS-1. Pretty happy now, I think some more burn in needed. 

I meant in general. I have no idea what the specific specs are for either of those. Two LTs in series would only need ~2V drop.

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Please read my last post above.

It just says DC cables being used as DC, network for network, and that you've already converted a bunch of DC to Gotham. So it sounds like you're just using the Supra for ethernet?

Ok, well I was hoping at some point there would be attempts made to really compare and hashout cable choices and construction to get to the heart of this, but it's become more like a Choose Your Own Adventure and already stalling out. Too bad. This line of inquiry had real promise. Hopefully Swenson/Superdad will pursue this.

7 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

You do realize that we’re just having fun bodging together bits of cable to see if we can make our hifi’s sound better, and not trying to perfect a self driving car or some such mission critical project? Plus the parts are cheap, and it’s only low voltage so not much danger involved. Computer audio is a fast moving target. You can wait, or you can do. I’m glad I didn’t wait and am enjoying the best sound from my system yet. 

That's a hell of a strawman. I was 'doing' this tweak before it showed up here. Glad you got great results. Maybe you could have had better results. We won't know. Enjoy.

19 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I just got some bulk Supra CAT8 to try this out, how are people wiring this for DC cable? There are 4 twisted pair, each individually shielded. Is it just two pairs "-" and two pairs "+" or something interesting like all solids + and all stripes - ?

Boy is this stuff stiff though. The shielding around each pair is VASTLY thicker than the usual foil shield you see, which is usually  a few atoms thick of aluminum deposited on mylar. This actually looks like heavy aluminum foil bonded to the mylar.  The foil part is on the outside, so the foil from all the pairs touch each other. There is a sparse weave of wire around this bundle, which as far as I can tell is not an extra shield, it is just a "drain wire", an easy way to solder to the shields and tie all the shields together.

Anybody know what the material is around the wires? I could not find that out. It seems very soft, it might be a foamed material.

I have the setup to run an impedance VS frequency test, I can compare this and a Canare cable.

It might be a couple days before I can work on this.

John S.

Hi John, if possible can you also add an IBRA Cat7 ethernet cable as well as (based on lmitche's experience), the Gotham Audio cable he used? I'm sure some of us would be willing to send you samples if needed, since excellent results have been reported from all three.

18 hours ago, lmitche said:

We have no room for your attitude here. The ends don't justify the means. We mean to have fun and enjoy each other's company. If you don't like it, please go back to where you came from.

'go back where you came from'? Really? I've been a member since 2010.

And just for the record. None of my posts have been personal attacks.