IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

So I took a basic Monoprice Cat7 26awg cable, cut the ends off, twisted two pairs each together for + and -, and connected to a male dc barrel screw connector on each end for inbetween the LPS-1 and microRendu. It’s subtle, but better than the already very good and certainly better looking Ghent Audio Canare Starquad. At first the Cat7 doesn’t sound as exciting as it smooths out some of the higher level hash (that one doesn’t even know was there), but after half an hour this longtime tinnitus sufferer realized he hadn’t winced at a trumpet or piano high note yet. Bass energy is almost too much, though improves low volume listening. Overall more natural and analogue sounding, but def. not the repeated exclamations and fist pumping change as seen by Tubelover. 

Next step is to try different pairs of twists (i.e. one cable from each pair with another from a different pair) to see if maybe the bass can be mitigated a bit, and maybe clean it up with a tinning of the wire ends. Tried a cheap Teragrand Cat7 as well, and it wasn’t as good as the Monoprice. And to try other cheap patch cables. Lots of variables in play here for subtle effects. The poE adapters certainly make it easier to swap cables, but I also cringe at the number of connections being made. The screw barrels allow one to change pretty easily vs straight soldering, which is probably one step even better. Keep in mind there might be more change with a Regen than a microRendu, and I’m waiting on an Lt3045 board which will change things yet again. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Just now, wushuliu said:

It may help to actually do what he did. Although interesting, you did something completely different.

Yes, and with entirely different pieces of gear. And also started out with a very nice point to point cable as well. But the fact that it is better (to my ears with my gear) with $1.00 worth of connectors and 1M of cat7 than a $40 audiophile cable is interesting and relative. Could be any number of factors why it isn’t AS dramatic. But I do find listening less fatiguing now. I tried a 20khz parametric eq in Roon - whilst similar this is better and more organic. 

I did try a same Monoprice cable this morning with only the colored of each pair hooked up orange/brown + and blue/green -. Nice, but not as much bass energy. Hooked up 6 wires. Still not as much bass. All eight does it. Again, super subtle and depends on gear, room, and your ears. I did try the poE connected before I brain farted and accidentally trimmed the dc and not the rj45 end from it. Early morning doh! I thought it a bit dulled and robbed some dynamics, whilst still less fatiguing in the highs like now. Anyway, expect to see audiophile Cat7/8 dc cables soon. I thank fellow Seattlite Tubelover for this trick. Now you all need to try a Cisco 2960 and be amazed. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

We’ll see. I just ordered a meter of unterminated Supra 8 to compare to the Monoprice I’m using (it is blue inside the inner wire foil). Supra sold by someone here in Seattle so should get it quickly. 

I had an IBRA and then returned it. Wasn’t anything that special or different compared to what I had on hand (the Monoprice, Teragrand, AQ Cinnamon, etc). I think these were picked out of a hat solely because of their availability on Amazon. Lots of Cat 7 to choose from out there. So having compared the monoprice with the IBRA when I had a poE I think I have a pretty good idea of how to gauge the Supra. 

Oh, sorry, thought I did way up. Returned the IBRA and accidentally wrecked the poE adapter. Then thought why not just the cable to dc barrel connector. I like to work with what I have on hand. Just tinned the leads of another monoprice and better yet. Tighter bass. Will change subtly as it burns in. When the LT3405 gets here I’ll just do a dc connector straight in to the LPS-1 on one side and Cat 7/8 cable out the other to the microRendu. 

Still sitting here listening, jaw dropped. I would just go for a length of Supra CAT8 ($9.00 per meter) and some barrel screw connectors and forget about all the injector dongle b.s. Definitely found the missing link for my system. Something was more right with the cheap cat 7 vs the Canare starquad but still off. The Supra hits on all cylinders. 

Correct, into DC male barrel screw connectors. 

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Charles many thanks for the detailed explanation.  How did you deal with the foil shielding at the endpoints?

Cut it off.... (was there something else you’re supposed to do with it??)

A couple of other things I might try:

A very short cable. I could go nine inches from the micro to LPS-1. 

And twisting together all of the colored wires for +ve and the white wires for -ve. 

7 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Thank you for Supra report, I am thinking about ordering it together with barrel screw connectors. Would you be more specific about attaching cable wires/shielding to connector? Maybe you can post a pic?

Will try and post a pic later. But it’s very simple - cut off outer casing by a few inches (really hard to pull off), strip wires of shielding and then strip bare by an inch, twist together (I’ve posted the pattern I’ve done - there could be others - what’s most important is the same wires end up on the same side), insert =/- into their respective holders, screw down tight, and good to go. I didn’t monkey with the shield at all other than cutting it away to clean it up. I suppose I could try a JSSG as I have the solder iron laying around. 

Okay, wired it up with the four colored wires to +ve and four whites to minus (first carefully marking the white with colored pens). Not the best job as done quickly before hauling the kids off to school and not starting with fresh twists. Verdict: still sounds very good, but for my gear and room the bass is bigger but not as controlled. Next step is to make a very short cable with my original arrangement. Will report back. 

Sounds like the local Supra distributer owes me a drink! I’ll have him by for a listen. 

Ok, best yet. Nine inch, with silver JSSG soldered from a twist of the shield from end to end. Original wiring pattern (blue/white/green/white pairs to -ve, and brown/white/orange/white pairs to +ve). Ends tinned. Final final version after this pic, the ground wire is twisted tighter and exposed wires taped up with electrical tape (poor man's shrink wrap).

Sounds superb. Bass tight but present, less to no sibilance, everything seems to just fit right into place. 

cable-5008864L5008864.jpg

It’s called working from home. There’s other things I should be doing. 

But man this sounds good. The best I can describe is the cheaper cables with their poE adapter or the barrel connectors, sounded smoother and less fatiguing, but in a way that seemed to veil certain frequencies - almost like a parameter eq being applied, esp up high. The Supra just lets all the music through, the tingling highest highs and rumbling lowest lows, but without any harshness or smearing, veiling or suppressing. Obviously there’s so much we’ve added to the basic hifi of old (computers, switches, multiple devices to render it all) that there’s lots of shielding that needs to be done. The shorter the cable the better, though YMMV. I have a lot of electronics packed into one cubic square foot corner of the house between the hifi and AV in the living room, then all of the server and network components, and my photo office, all in a closet directly below. Makes you wonder what it’s doing to our bodies....

Took the Oyaide gold dc connectors off my Ghent Starquad and soldered them to my Supra CAT8 cable. Not the most beautiful job, but it works. Sound is better yet, though haven’t had more than few minutes with it. Bass energy is a bit less, but better defined and more tuneful. Treble is smoother, but again better definition. It’s really of my opinion that these cheap connectors and adapters might be great vfm for experimentation but not for ultimate sound quality. 

Also rigged up a JSSG Supra CAT8 3 pin XLR to dc from my HDPLEX to NUC. No idea if the sound is better (as I added both cables at some time) but since I had all the pieces, I figured why not? It couldn’t be worse, esp in a closet with a switch, power supplies, etc. Fun times....

DIY. Read the thread please. 

I also tried just one twisted pair vs quad, and felt the quad was better, with a stronger presence. Will be interesting to hear from others on what they’ve tried - the great thing is it’s cheap and easy tweak to experiment with (as long as one wires correctly). 

Oh man, it just keeps getting better. Along with the XLR to 2.1 I made for between the HDPLEX and NUC, I made a GX-16 to 2.1 out of the Monoprice Cat7 I’d already stripped for between the HDPLEX and the OWC HDD that contains my local files for streaming and is connected to the NUC. The music is getting spooky it’s so real sounding. Of course it does show up areas for improvement in the analog part of my gear, but that’s for another thread/forum, and will cost more than a few dollars worth of cables and connectors! For now, going to let the whole shebang burn in and will report back in a few days to see if any change(s). Unreal how good this tweak is, for so little money. 

2 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Observing ... waiting for the convergence of agreement - then buy from ghent, when he gets on board!

Good idea. I’m a little nervous considering how many people have run out and bought Supra 8 now. Hope it’s not just me and my system that hears the change, but I’ve been working and tweaking on it long enough to know that it isn’t and that cable is doing something very special. 

4 hours ago, paulkouhan said:

Hi everyone,

Nice work !!

May I sugest that you place the regulator on one side, the side you will use to connect the powered device.

Can someone explain to me the purpose of the cable that connects the shielding from both sides ?

Thanks!

Curious as to why to place it to one side? I tried that originally with barrel connectors just to make sure the board worked, but I always feel the sound is compromised with those. I didn’t want to have to unsolder yet again the Oyaide barrels so this seemed like the best compromise. Any variation is probably entering diminishing returns category as it is. 

This cable has JSSG on both sides. The silver wire wrapped around the cable is tied to the shield on both ends of each leg. No idea if this sounds better or not, but has become de rigeur and easy to do since one is exposing the shield anyway. 

Are you using one of those poE adapters? I say the best is as direct connection as possible. The difference for me between using an Ibra in an adapter, and then the Supra with even the cheap screw barrels was like watching a jpeg load (or large raw file in Lightroom) and then it suddenly snaps into focus, and there’s all this detail and depth there and you’re actually surprised it’s so in focus and real looking after believing the out of focus one “was it.” (Ahh the brain playing tricks, imagine that). The addition of the LT3054 just took that focus a further step forward, but wouldn't have done it on its own imo. YMMV of course, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you noticed a difference for the better with the Supra.

I have pretty bad tinnitus from being a rock photographer, and with the addition of the Supra, it was the first time I could tolerate highs that are truly high, I guess one would say trebly. Something like Miles is a good barometer of sound changes for me. The high piano runs of Ahmad Jamal. Anyway, very happy here, with little outlay. DIY CA at its best.