IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

Big thank you to @sligolad who made me aware of the thread over at US Audiomart, I guess I spend to much time listening to music and not enough time reading forums, tho 224 page threads are a bit intimidating to peruse.  It never ceases to amaze me the paths that computer based audiophiles will travel down in the name of improving the audio stream from a PC.  Hats off to you all.

Well my uGreen 1m cat 7 cables and passive PoE adaptors showed up yesterday, despite reading very favorable comments from folks who use this setup to power devices I was skeptical, how could adding more connections in the power path be a good thing.  I was using shielded (JSSG mod) starquad power cables connected directly to PSU at one end and 2.1x5.5mm barrel connector at device end, now I was removing the direct connection at LPSU end installing a female 2.1mm connector and plugging a PoE adaptor into that, a ugreen cat 7 cable into the ethernet part at both ends of PoE's and the barrel of the second PoE into a Isoregen located at the dac (T+A dac 8 DSD) and a regen located at the PC.  So I had now replaced 2 shielded direct connected (at LPSU) starquad cables with this mess of cat 7 and PoE adaptors.  It took several on/off, plug/unplug cycles for the PC to see the Dac (that IR is a fussy piece) and I set a playlist to play with the amps turned off my goal to get 4-5 hours of burn in before sitting to listen.

Well it was now time to sit and listen and listen I did, it was a 6 hour session and for most of it I was playing music from my most played albums on Roon, the first 3 pages of albums, albums I know very well as I listen an average of 100 hours a month, not background listening, but sit and focus on music listening.  Dumbfounded is all I can say this was a pretty big change, a very positive change.  Wider, deeper soundstage with much more energy inside it.  Backgrounds just disappeared and you are left with just the performers, more solid than before even at the edges of the sound stage, their presence was just more than anytime before.  Leading edges of transients where fast and very well defined giving a nice dynamic jump to the sound from pre PoE.  I detected no edges of digital glare at all to the sound 6 hours in I still wanted to listen, but the clock told me to go to bed (it was 2:30am).  Overall the sound was more like I was at he performance than the performance playing on my stereo.  It had more of a human quality to it, more dynamic, more transparent, more speed.  Very pleased with this PoE chain and I have no idea why it does what it does.  If you read the thread over at Audiomart start around page 204 and you'll get 98% of this PoE experiment.  My next move is to direct connect the PoE adaptor to the LPSU's and add another one to power my SLC OS SSD inside my PC.  I will also add some in series LT3045 regulators to step the voltage down from my LPSU from 7V to 5V and I will power the SSD, IR and regen at this voltage, that I expect will be another jump up based on comments of those who have done the same.

Interesting the shielding solved the ibra issue you reported in AM thread.  I may have to try that but once I finally got the pc and dac to see each other the IR was stable all evening and I had no further issues with playback.  This was one of those R U F'ing kidding me moments in SQ jump.  Digital from a PC and ways to improve, many times, just don't seem to make sense but the results speak for themselves.  Well time to crawl back down the rabbit hole.

I cut one open this afternoon and was shocked on the power lead wiring, which leads me to believe that we should just buy RJ45 female, perhaps shielded and solder our own power leads to it.  Either shielded or not then connect other ends of leads directly to LPSU's.  The existing power lead to PoE is to the right.  No transformers.  This wiring does confirm your multimeter readings tho.

5af77afdd9f2c_PoERJ45.thumb.jpg.1269aee71d6782c4b1935021768f2f05.jpg

Good Point Larry.  For my use I'll power a regen at the PC, the isoregen at the dac and my intel SLC SSD inside my PC, all draw less than .5A so this solution should work fine.  Trying to power higher amperage devices may not be advised, tho you could use 2 pairs of cat 7 for each DC + and - and up the amperage levels thru the cable using your tear it apart method.

Here is a RJ45 pre soldered to a breakout board that has a magnetic transformer inside, you can also buy just the breakout board and solder your own RJ45 to it with no transformer inside the RJ45.  I will try both ways.  Then play with different power leads from board to LPSU.

5af864282079d_RJ45magjack.jpg.ae91a53b43c7465df53a974674725189.jpg

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Will this give any improvement with Regen first generation (amber Regen)? Thank you.

I put 2 PoE into my system at first, one at PC side going from LPSU to regen and one at dac side going to IR.  Did both at same time so can't comment on change for each device but the effect was very huge in my system and I was using starquad cable with JSSG mod shield as my DC connectors before this change.

FYI as reported on the audiomart forum different brands of cat 7 cable sound different from one another, go figure.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Ultimately what needs to be considered and gotten to the bottom of is which wire construction and topology sounds best and why. B|

And I suppose it can vary by system as to which cable sounds best.  The Why part may be a bit harder to explain.

My second order of cat 7 tables came and I quickly made a JSSG shielded cable from OS SSD (intel SLC) to outside the case where I connected the cheap $2 PoE to it with uGreen cat 7 cable.  Fired the PC back up and it worked fine.  Tonight long listening session and tomorrow I'll report if that also offered additional improvement.  

I placed the order yesterday for RJ45 breakout boards, RJ45 Females and a pre soldered RJ45 breakout board with transformers inside the RJ45.  Reports on those and if they further improve the cheap PoE this weekend or early next week.

Take a night off and look what happens, wow excellent reporting.  I just ordered 3M of bulk supra cat 8 and can't wait.  That and my DIY PoE using RJ45 ethernet jacks with transformers will be interesting.

BTW- I have been using gotham cables (Gac 2 V1) as my interconnects for over 15 years they are outstanding and compete with many cables that cost hundreds per meter. 

So my RJ45 magic jack breakout boards showed up today with a RJ45 plug with transformers installed in the jack.  Continuity check with MM from pins 1-8 on the back of the board to the RJ45 pins showed that pins 1-3 connected together, Pins 4 & 5 isolated to pin 4 and pin 5 and pins 6-8 connected together.  Searching further I managed to find a data sheet for this jack.  Pins 1-3 connect to one transformer pins 6-8 connect to another transformer on the RJ45 plug side all pins seem connected to a transformer.  Based on my PoE teardown pins 4 & 5 were connected to DC +, and pins 7&8 connected to DC - (there was no transformer in that PoE).  So what would you guys think the best way to wire this PoE (wish I was an EE).  Seems to me if you want to use the full transformer effect then DC+ would go to pins 1&2 and DC- would go to pins 7&8.  Anyone with deeper understanding of this your help would be appreciated.  Direct wired Cat 8 certainly be easier, but I have to try all options.

5afca2beccafd_RJ45MJschematic.thumb.png.6c116200e004c8493e6e7f2a2ee12bad.png

This, its a breakout board with a RJ45 soldered into it. the RJ45 has transformers inside it.  Solder pads are just visible on the rear of the unit.  Pads for pins 1-8, Y LED + and -, Grn LED + and - and shield.  I also ordered bare boards and RJ45 with no transformers so I can see

the effect of transformer coupled RJ45 vs non transformer coupled RJ45.  This may all be moot now with the direct cat 8 connection but these parts were already on order so try I will.

5afcaa53bccfd_RJ45magjack.jpg.8e83345c907f20f2361612c4e02e8219.jpg

So it certainly appears the direct connect method is probably the best and my Cat 8 showed up today, but before all this I ordered parts for a better DIY PoE and Thursday I completed them and put into my system just to get power thru them.  Last night I sat in to listen to them, 6 1/2 hours worth.  It took what already was pretty good (cheap PoE) and kicked it up another notch.  The whole presentation had a different feeling to it.  The transparency was up again, the dynamics/leading edges up again, the width and depth was even bigger.  The presence of everything within the stage was more solid and palpable then I had ever heard particularly the "other" musicians, not the center vocalist, or lead guitarist, or sax player, it was the edge performers to the side or way back in the stage they had a presence almost as strong as the lead center performer.  This made the whole performance more real than I had ever heard from a 2 channel system before, it was almost erie it definitely had a different feel to it and very good feel to it.  I have to admit this PoE/direct connect idea Rob came up with is the real deal.  This is one of the biggest gains my system has ever had and it already was a very high resolving system.

It took me 2 days to make these DIY PoE's I started with 24ga litz silver coated copper wire.  I carefully kept the orientation of the wires to the same direction so when all was connected all the PoE leads I made ran in the same direction as I took it off the roll.  I twisted these and then added tinned copper shield and a JSSG ground wire then some shrink wrap.  Like this

Below are shielded JSSG wires and wires before shielding and jssg.  I used the tape to keep the direction known

5b008b47f3641_PoEwires.thumb.jpg.62dbdb78ef7b015057e676980e8af100.jpg

Now completed PoE's along with a cheap amazon PoE I took apart to see what was inside-cheap 2 small wires probably not twisted, no shield from DC barrel connector to breakout board.  RJ45 was also not shielded.

PoEassembled.thumb.jpg.20e741d55cb56ecee86f31a1a6b41669.jpg

My PoE had much better shielded RJ45's thou I did not connect the shield to anything, and of course my fancy home brew shielded leads.  I ran a uGreen cat 7 cable between these PoE's and got the results I described above.  My best sound to date.  BTW, these RJ45 do NOT have transformers inside.  I may get to those in the future once I confirm how DC goes thru these, just been to busy lately to do that.

I am going to wait until next weekend before I insert the direct connect cat 8 cable between my LPSU's and devices I power (isoregen, regen and OS SSD).  Then I will probably direct connect some cat 7 to compare to direct cat 8.  I need time for my ears to adjust to the sound before anymore changes, making changes to fast one can loose the base to which they refer to.  Liking what I am hearing so far.

Side note- Rob aka Tubelover2 requested the admins to shut the very large thread over at USaudiomart, he was the one we own a debt to for the power over ethernet idea.  Supposedly he will start another thread to begin further conversation on audio streaming.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

It doesn't. That's the purpose of the transformers

There are articles on the web discussing sending DC over PoE magnetic transformers they are designed to do so.  I just have not had the time to research more and figure out are these PoE certified magnetic transformers.  If not then you are correct, if they are then it should be doable off the center taps on the network side.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Bricki said:

Is anyone else finding there are further improvements from longer lengths?? 

Well I just put my cat 8 in today replacing 3-1M runs of uGreen cat 7 (round).  The cat 8 I cut to the just needed length which in every case but one was shorter that the cat 7.  So I hope you are wrong otherwise I may be stepping back.  First sonic impressions I will report on tomorrow.

40 minutes ago, tims said:

Any chance you could go over this again?

Near the bottom of page 4 I have photos of the wires I made for custom PoE and then the final assembly of PoE.  I used these Poe's with Cat 7 (ugreen round 1m) essentially replacing the cheap eBay and amazon PoE's everyone else was using.  This made an improvement over the cheap PoE but at a cost of a lot of labor and time. This stayed in my system until last night when I pulled all custom PoE's from system and all cat 7 and replaced with a direct wired cat 8 set up.  So there now is  NO PoE's in my system just direct wired cat 8 (I bought bulk cat 8).  Now it could be argued that I should open the cat 7 and direct wire like cat 8 and compare and maybe some day I will, First I want to try the Gotham Larry talks about, as my whole interconnect set up in my system has been gotham Gac 2v1 since the early 00's and that stuff hangs with cables costing thousands.  I notice Gotham has a ultra pro gac 2 that would make a wicked good IC and be easier to work than Gac 4/1.  Always something to do.

8 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Sometimes a sound stage seems zoomed in creating what I call " big head" syndrome. That is not happening here. It's more like attending a concert with the room's ambience all around. Sizes seem natural and very 3 dimensional. I would add there is much more harmonic content than ever, with the subtle beauty of the instruments and voices shining through. I find myself turning my head to focus on a particular artist on the stage.

Like you, the best way I can describe the SQ is that it sounds live. I am lucky in that I attend a live performance once or twice a month. These could be rock, jazz or classical performances. I recently sat in the front row of a Cowboy Junkies concert, outside the enhanced sound area, and heard Margot sing Misguided Angel. The live version of this same song on the Trinity Revisited album is spine tingling, along with the addition of Natalie Merchant on the vocals. It sounds very much live here at home including the opening harmonica, mandolin and all.

I have never heard music reproduced like this before.

Larry, thank you for putting in words what my audio vocabulary couldn't.  Yep the exact same thing here, many times I lean forward to see the performer on the far right or left of the stage too.  Life, live no reproduction just pure musical bliss.  I'll have to play that Junkies tune. The cut that started it last night was Travis Tritt Live at the Franklin in Nashville,  just him and a guitar on the stage and a few thousand enthusiastic friends, Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde.

I was unaware that David passed, years ago I had his watt puppy 3/2, so sad, he was still young, but cancer does not discriminate.

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

there have been moments when I've realised that there is even more on tap, when enough of the setup is peaking simultaneously. If you can sustain the SQ you describe indefinitely, congrats!!

Yes I too have found there is always more to wring out the system, but if it stayed as it is now I would be very happy.  Perhaps the Gotham will further improve, but this stays in for a few weeks to let ear/brain memorize the sound and while I finish some other projects.

11 hours ago, sandyk said:

Does the soundstage also extend to the listening position, and even behind it with suitable material  ?

I didn't try specifically the Q sound effect, but I will try the song you suggest, In the past with when I played a Deep Forest track where the sound circles, yes the sound can come forward of the speakers.  Normal 2 channel recordings tho everything is behind the plane of the speakers.

6 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

what is your entire system configuration (especially the network cable)?

I do not use network cables, the router is located 2 floors above me and the house is not wired for ethernet, so I use 5 Ghz wi-fi.  Configuration of this is Ryzen 1800x PC with externally powered SLC SSD (S11 7V-LT3045 6V-LT3045 5V cat 8 cable to a star quad JSSG shield cable to SSD), Dac-up2 USB port to custom made 6" silver USB cable, Regen powered by 7.5V belleson LPSU, 1.5M wire world starlight (the red one) USB cable to iso regen with USPCB to T+A Dac8 DSD, Isoregen powered by s11 at 7V with 2 lt3045 boards stepping down to 5V, full cat 8 DC cables.  powering the IR at 5V bypasses the Texas instruments regulators inside the IR and improves it sound further.  Music source is Roon/Tidal or internal 5200RPM surveillance HDD.