IGNORED

Poll on Retail price of Your Speakers

What is the price of your 2 best speakers. If less than 5 years old, use retail price. If over 5 years old, use market price.  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

I have been living with my Spendor SP100's for many years now, and although I am an active tweaker, I never felled the urge to replace them.

I can understand why; I had a pair of SP9/1s for some time but was forced to sell them due to a move abroad.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

My Thiel 3.7's are 11 years old.  Hard to believe so much time has passed.  As far as I can tell the surrounds are still fine, but I wonder how long they'll last.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I marked 500-1000, hopefully my Infinity Reference Standard Kappa 7 floor standing speakers still have a market price of at least $500.  The retail price was $1,400 for the pair, however I purchased them locally at The Good Guys at a 50% clearance discount in 1992 for $700 the pair. Needless to say I love these speakers.

P.S. I only have 2 speakers.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I use a pair of Harbeth Super HL5plus which I bought about a year ago.

I had a pair of Quad ESL 989's for about 20 years before the Harbeths and a pair of Spendor SP1/2's before that. I only buy something when there is an obvious improvement on what I already have and I am completely satisfied with it.

I never really felt the need to constantly tinker with my system.

Having never listened to a VMPS speaker, when I saw these RM-40's for sale I did a bit of research and my findings told me to jump on 'em so I did. 

It was a gamble but quite a musical speaker I must say.

Blue VMPS RM-40 Speakers.jpg

The more I dabble with extreme forms of electrical mgmt. and extreme forms of vibration mgmt., the more I’m convinced it’s all just variations of managing mechanical energy. Or was it all just variations of managing electrical energy? No, it’s all just variations of mechanical energy. Wait.  It's all just variations of managing electrical energy.  -Me

On 08/05/2018 at 1:23 PM, Ralf11 said:

I'm driving mine with a $1,000 amp - maybe they can sound better with another amp (which is the next upgrade...)

Last time I checked, hi end amps start around $10,000. Anything below is mid fi.

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

Last time I checked, hi end amps start around $10,000. Anything below is mid fi.

Wow! :rolleyes:

I know high end keeps going up, but there are still many great amps priced between $1,000 and $10,000 retail, none of which I would consider mid-fi. And many excellent amps below $1,000 including tubed ones, many of these might be considered mid-fi. Wouldn't anything above $10,000 be ultra high end?

$1,000 is the maximum I pay for any component, I prefer to pay $500 or less so I look for clearance, sale or demo units.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

I answered both polls :

Retail price of my system -- 20-50k.

Retail price of my speakers - 20-50k.

:)

BTW my music collection (retail price new) is worth more than that O.o

I really have no idea how this was possible. I don't recall having such money in my pocket or on my bank account..! 

x-D

3 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I answered both polls :

Retail price of my system -- 20-50k.

Retail price of my speakers - 20-50k.

:)

BTW my music collection (retail price new) is worth more than that O.o

I really have no idea how this was possible. I don't recall having such money in my pocket or on my bank account..! 

x-D

interesting never counted my 3000 + CD's or my 1400 + LP's. 

The Truth Is Out There

My speakers are about 5000euro but that Is a diy build so without labor cost.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2