IGNORED

Poll on Retail price of Your Speakers

What is the price of your 2 best speakers. If less than 5 years old, use retail price. If over 5 years old, use market price.  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have tried so many speakers...over 100 in past couple years.

Currently running Imagine T2 (Retail $3500, paid $1800), currently for sale.

Dream speakers are ATC SCM or Focal Sopras....best i have heard for money.

I just bought some vintage JBL after hearing a pair at someone elses house, and i was quite impressed and want to hear what they will sound like in my system (L112)

Other speakers I have tried and liked in the under $3K bracket are paradigm and B&W. 

I am still shopping for something i may like better.

I also have ELAC which sound great for money that i run on my office PC.

7 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

If you are proud and don't think there is much better in your bracket for the money, feel free to name them if you wish.

Maggie 3.7i   

I like them - they are cheap and fast

BTW, I was going to do this poll after the total system price poll wound up, but you saved me the trouble.

20 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Maggie 3.7i   

BTW, I was going to do this poll after the total system price poll wound up, but you saved me the trouble.

I am surprised these polls haven't been done before....it will explain a lot about controversy on the boards and help for better understanding i think.  I really believe the speakers really make the system...yes, all things matter, but imho a good pair of speakers can make inexpensive hardware sound great (I won't forget story of how best of show used an iphone as source).  Plus on the system poll, it's harder to gauge as some people may count there pc's and others don't .....some people may figure in thousands in cables and power and room corrections, etc...  Not that it doesn't matter, but speakers will give me a better gauge of audience here on CA imho. 

I would probably try maggies if my room was bigger...maybe at my next house....looking forward to trying some vintage JBL though....would love to know details of what Kenrick does to insides of them...those always sound so impressive....would be nice if there was someone in california that refurbished vintage speakers with the quality of Kenrick!

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Maggie 3.7i   

I have a few questions about maggies as i may buy a pair some day....

I thought i read they need to be quite away from wall and that placement is difficult?  this pic doesn't suggest that...

Also, one thing that has steered me away was because i had a really old pair i picked up for practically nothing, but the ribbons were wasted....and I have always been concerned with how long they last?

image.thumb.png.bda6ad06878ee1babdc7d1ad7e8f0ed3.png

those look well paced to me (except there might be some glare form the back 'wave' hitting the window glass)

they do need to be 3 ft or up to 5 ft from the rear wall - all speakers should be BTW

people spend a lot of time moving them bit by bit to tune the sound but I feel they sound good w/o doing that (not saying they won't sound better if you place them very carefully)

the ribbons on my 1.5 QRs have lasted 22 years - they sound fine and are for sale.

there were some very early models that might have been more sensitive as to ribbon fragility

also, they are easy to drive - good current delivery into 4 ohms and yo are set - no complex impedances for the amp to deal with

probably not the best for headbanger music tho...

Current  in use ELAC Uni Fi UB5's. They do sound way better than their price.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Maggie 3.7i   

I greatly admire the Maggie 3.7i's, and, given their performance they could be considered cheap, and certainly fast, But the necessary amplification for them is certainly not cheap.

JC

Tune Audio Anima (retail for GBP 38k).

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

Having heard them, I can't really say they sound 25x better than mine. They look more impressive though.

You only heard them with a crappy DAC.

Driven with my regular gear, I'd put them up against anything I heard at the Munich Show last year :). (Still doesn't mean they're 25x better than your B&Ws though.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

You only heard them with a crappy DAC.

Driven with my regular gear, I'd put them up against anything I heard at the Munich Show last year :).

I firmly believe that once you pass the £10k mark, very little is being improved in any objective sense. Different speakers have different sounds, of course, but I just can't imagine what something would have to sound like to be worth, say, £50k. Live music doesn't sound that much better than good, affordable speakers.

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

(Still doesn't mean they're 25x better than your B&Ws though.)

How would you even measure that?

34 minutes ago, manisandher said:

(Still doesn't mean they're 25x better than your B&Ws though.)

21 minutes ago, mansr said:

How would you even measure that?

You seem to have no trouble:

51 minutes ago, mansr said:

Having heard them, I can't really say they sound 25x better than mine. They look more impressive though.

Mani.

24 minutes ago, mansr said:

I firmly believe that once you pass the £10k mark, very little is being improved in any objective sense.

With your listening ability, I totally agree :P.

Mani.

KEF Blade.  £20K retail in the UK, about $32K in the USA I believe.  Bargain!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

16 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I am surprised these polls haven't been done before....it will explain a lot about controversy on the boards and help for better understanding i think.  I really believe the speakers really make the system...yes, all things matter, but imho a good pair of speakers can make inexpensive hardware sound great (I won't forget story of how best of show used an iphone as source).  Plus on the system poll, it's harder to gauge as some people may count there pc's and others don't .....some people may figure in thousands in cables and power and room corrections, etc...  Not that it doesn't matter, but speakers will give me a better gauge of audience here on CA imho. 

I would probably try maggies if my room was bigger...maybe at my next house....looking forward to trying some vintage JBL though....would love to know details of what Kenrick does to insides of them...those always sound so impressive....would be nice if there was someone in california that refurbished vintage speakers with the quality of Kenrick!

You should have a look at BHC Acoustics speakers. Much more affordable then Kendrick.

http://www.music2.nl/bhc-acoustics/

[br]