Sign in to follow this  
miguelito

A word on Roon: Amazing.

Rate this topic

+1

I'm still undecided on the whole MQA thing but I love the fact I can now see exactly which Tidal tracks are MQA vs CD. 

Seeing 96/24 light up on my Directstream DAC via USB for a track that up until now I assumed was CD res also brought a big smile to my face :D

Cheers, 

Alan 

AudioLinux NUCi7DNKE server (powered by SPS-500) > AudioLinux NUCi7DNBE endpoint (powered by LPS-1.2) > PS Audio Directstream DAC > Hegel P20 Pre > PS Audio M700 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

I couldn’t be happier with this update. As an HQPlayer devotee I was honestly expecting nothing,  and what was given is significantly more useful to me than nothing.  I agree @miguelito, whether MQA on Tidal will supplant local files (or even Tidal redbook) is not really material to my feelings about the update...the fact that I changed literally nothing in an esoteric setup with many moving parts, turned on Roon and was unfolding MQA is truly impressive. I like the changes to album versions, so far. Some of grumblIng on the forums (especially about favouring Tidal MQA over redbook) but I dunno, some grooming and fine tuning is always required...for now! Roonies will crack that eventually too ?

The simple ability to identify MQA at a glance ought to please both camps. Seek or avoid as is your inclination. 

Roon is good, but their IOS control point gets killed (closes unexpectedly) or freezes much too often.

Also iPhone control point could have more (all) options/GUI features (be on par with iPad/computer). iPhone Plus have big hi-res screens, there is nothing, in my opinion, that prevents feature parity with iPad app. 

4 hours ago, maxijazz said:

Roon is good, but their IOS control point gets killed (closes unexpectedly) or freezes much too often.

Also iPhone control point could have more (all) options/GUI features (be on par with iPad/computer). iPhone Plus have big hi-res screens, there is nothing, in my opinion, that prevents feature parity with iPad app. 

I’ve used Roon for almost a year now and I can’t think of a single time it’s crashed on my iPad. I do agree with you about the iPhone version though.